The Southern Highlands
Dumgoyne, Stirlingshire. Licentiehouder: Lang Brothers Limited. Eigendom van Robertson & Baxter Ltd.
Gebouwd door Archibald McLellan in 1833 als Glenguin distilleerderij . Glengoyne was ook enige tijd bekend onder de namen Burnfoot en Dumgoyne. Glengoyne is Keltisch en betekent vallei van de ganzen.
In 1876 werden Alexander en Gavin Lang, whisky-, rum- en wijnhandelaren te Glasgow de eigenaars en vanaf toen werd de distilleerderij Glengoyne genoemd.
Glengoyne ligt 18 kilometer ten noorden van Glasgow en precies op de denkbeeldige lijn die loopt van Greenock naar Dundee, de 'Highland Line', die Schotland verdeelt in de Lowlands en Highlands.
Glengoyne is een kleine distilleerderij, tot de verbouwing in 1966 kon men 826.000 liter spirit per jaar produceren, nu 1.50.000 liter per jaar.
Glengoyne is gelegen in een kleine Glen en wegens gebrek aan ruimte koopt men de mout sinds 1910 al van elders in.
Het water voor Glengoyne komt van de Carron Valley, dat regenwater verzameld van de heuvels ten noorden van de distilleerderij.
Er is 100 liter water nodig om 70 cl Glengoyne Single Malt Whisky te produceren. De gebruikte gerstsoorten zijn Golden Promise en Chariot. De gebruikte mout wordt niet geturfrookt.
Er zijn drie ketels, een Wash Still van 16.500 liter en twee Low Wine Stills van elk 5000 liter.
De ketels worden indirekt verhit met stoom en na twee keer te zijn gedistilleerd komt de drank met 71-72 % uit de ketels, waarna de whisky wordt aangelengd met water van de Carron vallei tot 63,5 %.
Opslagkapaciteit is ongeveer 10.000 vaten met 5.000.000 liter whisky.
'The Angel Share' is 2 % per jaar.
Er wordt gelagerd in sherry vaten.
Er werken met inbegrip van de manager 13 mensen in de distilleerderij .
In 1965 wordt Lang Brothers Limited onderdeel van Robertson & Baxter Ltd, heel bekende en beroemde wijnhandelaren en whiskyblenders te Glasgow, waarin Highland Distillers sinds 1948 een groot belang hebben.
In September 1993 koopt Grand Metropolitan (GrandMet) samen met Robertson & Baxter de laatste onafhankelijke graandistilleerderij, North British.
GrandMet en R & B waren al voor 38 % medeeigenaar van North British, voor de resterende aandelen werd £ 50.000.000 betaald.
The Langs founded Lang Brothers Limited in 1861 and, in order to ensure continuity of quality supplies of malt for their blended whisky, the company bought Glengoyne Distillery in 1876.
Fiercely independent, Langs formed partnerships with Robertson & Baxter, Macallan, North British Distillery, Berry Brothers and Highland Distillers to protect themselves from the predatory nature of, in particular, The Distillers Company Limited.
Each of the partners held a shareholding in the other companies, making a hostile takeover extremely difficult to execute.
In 1965 the company became a whollyowned subsidiary of Robertson & Baxter, whose public persona is now the Edrington Group.
Voorjaar 1999 kregen de Edrington Group en Highland Distillers verschil van mening over het niet of wel aanhouden van de beursnotering.
September 1999 wordt bekend dat Edrington en William Grant & Sons samen Highland Distillers overnemen.
De naam van de nieuwe onderneming luidt: The 1887 Company, wat slaat op het stichtingsjaar van Highland Distillers.
Edrington verkrijgt 70 %-, William Grant & Sons 30 % van de aandelen.
Ian Macleod & Co te Broxburn neemt Glengoyne over met de voorraden en de merknaam Langs.
Glengoyne is situated little more than a dozen miles from Glasgow, just south of the village of Killearn, in 'Rob Roy' country.
It is an attractive distillery with a traditional look and feel to it, and despite its comparative proximity to the city, the location in a wooded glen at the foot of Dumgoyne Hill could hardly be bettered.
The Glengoyne Burn flows from Dumgoyne Hill into the distillery site by way of a dramatic, 50 foot high waterfall and is used for cooling purposes before being sent on its way to nearby Loch Lomond.
Glengoyne was first licensedin 1833, but it is believed that distilling on the site predates that and certainly the area was once a hotbed for smuggling.
In 1866 local historian Guthrie Smith wrote that during the early years of the 19th century, 'the smoke of 13 illicit stills' was visible in the vicinity.
The distillery was built by George Connell, who leased the land on which it was constructed, and the licence was held by members of the MacLellan family for many years.
Originally christened Glenguin, the distillery was known as Burnfoot at the time when it was bought by Lang Brothers Ltd in 1876. They changed the name back to Glenguin, or Glen Guin, and the present spelling was adopted around 1905.
A programme of modernisation and expansion was undertaken following the acquisition of Lang Brothers Ltd by the Robertson & Baxter Group in 1965 and a third still was added during reconstruction work in 1966/67.
One of the original warehouses built by George Connel still stands today, and serves as the shop and visitor reception area, which plays host to around 0 people each year.
Eight working warehouses have a capacity of nearly two million litres, or 4,5 million bottles of spirit.
The geolical Highland Fault Line which separates Lowland and Highland distilleries runs below the A 81 road from Glasgow to Aberfoyle in front of Glengoyne. This means that although the whisky is made in the Highlands, it matured in the Lowlands, as Glengoyne's warehouses are to the south-west of the A 81.
Robertson & Baxter is now part of the Edrington Group and under their ownership, a great deal of Glengoyne found its way into Langs Supreme and other blends.
Then, in April 2003, the distillery and a significant amount of maturing stock were acquired by Ian Macleod Distillers Ltd. Although the firm was founded om 1936 by Leonard Russell, it had never owned a distillery before Glengoyne. The third generation Leonard Russel is currently managing director of the Broxburn-based blending and bottling business, best known for its Isle of Skye blended Scotch Whisky.
The purchase of Glengoyne has given Ian Macleod a 'flagship' single malt with clear growth potential, the option for a reciprocal trading of new fillings, which is attractive to any blender and a particularly pictureque focal point for the business.
The distillery boasts a capacity of 1,2 million litres per annum and Leonard Russel says 'We've doubled distilling output and we're still not working at 100 per cent capacity. We've increased the number of mashes per week and we still have nine whisky-makers as before.
'The stocks were the biggest part of the acquisition and we continue to make whisky exactly the same way at Glengoyne, using Golden Promise barley'.
Low in yield but high in quality, Golden Promise has been largely abondoned by distillers, with the exception of Glengoyne and The Macallan.
Not only is the variety of barley unusual, but so is the fact that during malting no 'peat reek' is introduced. Barley destined for Glengoyne is dried solely using warm air, as has long been the case. Given the use of unpeated malt, Glengoyne is perhaps stylistically closer to a Lowland than a Highland single malt and it is sometimes likened in character to the triple-distilled Auchentoshan.
Indeed, although standard 'double' distillation has long been the norm at Glengoyne, after visiting the distillery during 1880s while researching his epic The Whisky Distilleries of the United Kingdom, Alfred Barnard wrote 'We may here mention that the Spirits are distilled three times by the various processes of working in the Distillery'.
Ian Macleod Distillers Ltd use the promotinal slogan 'The authentic taste of malt whisky untainted by peat smoke'.
'The real taste of malt' is our whole platform for marketing the whisky', explains Leonard Russel, nothing that the lack of peat alloows the true character of malt to come through in the whisky, described as 'clear, bright, subtle, yet delicate'.
Certainly there is a creamy, fruity, floral, malt character to the finished product and its undoubted smoothness is attributed by its makers to the fact that the three stills with their distinctive 'boil balls' are run very slowly.
2003 Ian MacLeod Distillers Ltd buys the distillery plus the brand Langs from the
Edrington Group (formerly Robertson & Baxter) for £ 7.2 million
2004 The first new whisky after Ian MacLeod's acquisition is launched in September,
a 12 year old cask strenght.
2005 Relaunch of Scottish Oak Finish 15 years old. Limited Editions of a 19 year old,
a 32 year old and a 37 year old cask strenght are launched.
Kapaciteit: 1.100.000 liter spirit per jaar
SCOTTISH OAK WOOD FINISH
In Scotland as a whole there was always a shortage of suitable trees. Good specimens were highly prized by shipwrights; smaller and older trees by furniture-makers; indigenous woods of any size were coppiced to provide charcoal for iron smelters.
As demand for whisky casks increased after about 1850, distillers and blenders turned to Europe, and in particular to 'second-hand' casks which had come into the country filled with wine, principally (but not exclusively) sherry.
Only after World War 11 did the trade in ex-bourbon barrels develop, although now casks from this source account for 90 % of the wood coming into the system, around 20 casks per annum.
So today the Scottish cooper's job is largely to rebuilt and repair casks - which is not to say they cannot raise casks from scratch, it is just that they rarely have the opportunity.
George Espey, Managing Director of The Clyde Cooperage, the company which built the new Scottish oak casks for Glengoyne, says he was 'very excited to be part of the Scottish Oak project, which would ultimately lead, probably for the first time, to a totally 'Made in Scotland' Scotch. And because of the limited supply of Scottish iak, and its cost, it will probably be the last time, as well!'
Glengoyne is part of the Edrington Group, and the dream of using Scottish oak was made possible when a former director of the company offered a small stand of trees from his estate in Angus. The trees were between 120 and 200 years old. They were felled in the autumn of 1998, and because there was no sawmill nearby, the trunks were quartered on site, using portable band-saws.
Traditionally, Scottish oak (and European oak geberally) is split rather than saw, but the wastage involved is huge. As it was, only two-thirds of the oak felled (14,5 cubic metres) was of sufficient quality to be used.
The quartered pieces then went to Lochwinnoch for milling into stave lenghts and air drying. By the end of 1998 moisture content had dropped from 30 % to around 20 %, but it proved impossible to bring it down much further by this traditional method, owing to the dampness of the climate, so a year later the stave lenghts were finished by kiln drying to 16 % moisture.
The staves were jointed and the casks raised and 'toasted' with a medium char in November 1999.
Thirty-one hogsheads were made, in all. First they were filled with grain whisky for four months, to season the wood and extract unwanted 'woodiness'. Then twenty-one casks were filled with new make Glengoyne and fifteen with mature whisky at 15 years old. They were left for a year, then vatted and re-racked into well-used marrying casks to mingle their flavours and settle down.
These casks were bottled in July 2001 at an average cask strenght of 53,5 %, without chill filtration, and yielded 0 70 cl bottles.
GLENGOYNE (1833 started as Burnfoot, in 1876 changed in Glengyne, and
changes again in1905, now Glengoyne - 1965) ( 1965 -
28 June 2011
Ian Macleod Distiilers buys Tamdhu Distillery from Edrington, also the former owner
Since purchasing Glengoyne Distillery in 2003, Ian Macleod Distillers has more than
doubled sales of Glengoyne Single Malt.
Ian Macleod has built four additional maturation warehouses, capable of housing
up to 5 million litres and has invested in the visitor experience with renovations
and improvenents increasing visitor numbers to nearly 50,000.
The Glengoyne Brand is currently promoting a new long - term marketing initiative
based on the fact that Glengoyne is 'distilled more slowly than any other Scotch
Whisky for the highest quality' and is investing upwards of one million pound in the
U.K. drive alone over the next two years.
Up to six years from oak forest to highland distillery, that is how long it takes
before sherry casks are finally ready to receive our spirit. However, the journey has just begun.
Time and wood work together over the nexr fifteen years - within the cool darkness
of our traditional, earth - floored warehouses. Here away from sight. The light amber
hue develops, along with a lingering oak finish, making Glengoyne 15 year old the
perfect balance of traditional skills and barley dried by air, never peat.
All in good time
Our stills are Scotland's slowest, unhurried, our new spirit benefits from the gentlest of
journey'- developing the unique Glengoyne flavor.
We dry our barley by air, never peat. This unlocks the subtle, complex flavours of slow
distillation and exquisite wood.
The amber hue of Glengoyne 15 year old comes from tome and wood alone, why would
we add anything else?
Natural colour, Malt master
GLENGOYNE 15 year 43 %
Hand selected sherry casks - the home for almost all the spirit that will become
Glengoyne 15 year old
Oak casks, Copper, Jerez, Spain
Fine casks need space to breathe, we stack them just three high, in the cool darkness
of our stone - built warehouses.
We've been learning our trade since 1833, why change something that took generations
to perfect ?
GLENGOYNE 30 YEAR OLD ENJOYS LIMITED REVIVAL