Go to content

Main menu:

Glenlochy

Whisky Collection Bar > G
GLENLOCHY
15 years old
40 %
CONNOISSEURS CHOICE
Distilled 1974
Bottled 1989
Proprietors: D. & J. McCallum
LtdGordon & Macpahil, Elgin

GLENLOCHY
20 years old
46 %
LAST BOTTLE AND EMPTY
Distilled March 1967
Bottled February 1988
Proprietors: D. & J. McCallum LtdWm.
Cadenhead, 18 Golden Square, Aberdeen

GLENLOCHY
14 years old
63.1 %
INFO
Date distilled Apr 79
Date bottled May 93
Society Cask No. code 62.2
The Scotch Malt Whisky Society,
The Vaults, Leith, Edinburgh

GLENLOCHY
17 years old
40 %
CONNOISSEURS CHOICE
Distilled 1977
Bottled 1994
Proprietors: D. & J. McCallum Ltd
Gordon & Macpahil, Elgin

GLENLOCHY
32 years old
51.6 %
VINTAGE 1963
Distilled 14.3.63
Bottled 7.95
Matured in sherry casks
Cask no. 765
192 bottles
Signatory Vintage
Scotch Whisky Co, Ltd, Edinburgh

GLENLOCHY
14 years old
61.5 % INFO
SINGLE CASK SCOTCH MALT WHISKY
Date distilled Oct 81
Date bottled Sept 96
Society Cask No. code 62.7
276 bottles
The Scotch Malt Whisky Society,
The Vaults, Leith, Edinburgh
'Mangosteens'

GLENLOCHY
32 years old
47.9%
SILENT STILLS
Distilled 20.5.65
Cask No. 1528
Bottled 20.5.97
210 bottles
Signatory Vintage
Scotch Whisky Co, Ltd, Edinburgh

GLENLOCHY
26 years old
58.8%
INFO
RARE MALTS SELECTION
Natural Cask Strenght
Distilled 1969
Limited Edition
Genummerde flessen
Train & Mclntyre, Edinburgh

GLENLOCHY
20 years old
40%
CONNOISSEURS CHOICE
Distilled 1977
Bottled 1997
Proprietors: D. & J. McCallum Ltd
Gordon & Macphail, Elgin

GLENLOCHY
26 years old
50 %
THE OLD MALT CASK 50o
Single Cask Bottling
Distilled March 1975
Bottled June 2001
258 Bottles
No Chill Filtration
No Colouring
Douglas Laing & Co, Ltd, Glasgow

GLENLOCHY
24 years old
58.6 %
SINGLE CASK SCOTCH
MALT WHISKY
Society Cask code 62.11
Date Distilled May 80
Date Bottled Mar 05
Outturn 234 Bottles
The Scotch Malt Whisky Society,
The Vaults, Leith, Edinburgh
Stimulating and inspirational'
'Charming but frivolous'

GLENLOCHY
23 years old
66,4 %
INFO
RAREST OF THE RARE
A Historic Collection of Cask Strength
Single Cask Whiskies from Distilleries
which no longer exist
Unique Whiskies of Distinction
Fons et Origo
Cask No. 2450
276 Numbered Bottles
No Chill Filtering or
Colouring of any kind
Duncan Tayler & Co., Lttd.
Huntly, Aberdeenshire

GLENLOCHY
38 years old
43%
RARE OLD SINGLE MALT
SCOTCH WHISKY
A Special Single Malt Scotch Whisky
Distilled 1968
Bottled 2006
Proprietors: D & J McCallum Ltd
Gordon & Macphail, Elgin

GLENLOCHY
Aged 26 years
53,2 % INFO
RAREST OF THE RARE
A Historic Collection of Cask Strenght
Single Cask Whiskies from Distilleries
which no longer exist
Unique Whiskies of Distinction
Fons et Origo
D T C
Distilled 08.1980
Cask no. 2452
Bottled 11.2006
294 Numbered Bottles
No Chill Filtering .
or Colouring of any kind
Duncan Taylor & Co, Ltd,
Huntly, Aberdeenshire

GLENLOCHY
Aged 27 years
54,8 %
RAREST OF THE RARE
SINGLE MALT SCOTCH WHISKY
A Historic Collection of Cask Strenght
Single Cask Whiskies from Distilleries
which no longer exist
Unique Whiskies of Distiction
Fons et Origo
D.T.C.
Distilled: 08.1980
Cask no: 2454
Bottled: 10.2007
278 Numbered Bottles
No Chill Filtering
or colourings of any kind
Duncan Taylor & Co, Ltd, Huntly,
Aberdeen - shire

GLENLOCHY
Aged 25 years
55,3 %
SIGNATORY VINTAGE
CASK STRENGHT COLLECTION
Highland Single Malt Scotch Whisky
Distilled on: 04/09/1980
Matured in a Hogshead
Cask No: 2827
Bottled on: 24/07/2006
274 Numbered Bottles
Natural Colour
Signatory Vintage Scotch Whisky Co, Ltd, Edinburgh

GLENLOCHY
VINTAGE 1 9 8 0
52,8 %
Aged 29 years
SIGNATORY VINTAGE
Highland Single Malt Scotch Whisky
SIGNATORY VINTAGE
CASK STRENGHT COLLECTION
Distilled on: 21/08/1980
Matured in a Hogshead
Cask No: 2649
Bottled on: 22/06/2010
265 Numbered Bottles
Natural Colour
Casks individually selected and bottled by
Signatory Vintage Scotch Whisky Co, Ltd,
Pitlochry

GLENLOCHY
INFO
33 years old
46 %
GORDON & MACPHAIL
RARE OLD
A SPECIAL SINGLE MALT
SCOTCH WHISKY
FROM GLENLOCHY DISTILLERY
Distilled 1979
Bottled 2012 LOT NO: RO / 12 / 04
This exclusive Lot is Limited to 460 Bottles
Natural Colour
Non Chill Filtered
Selected, Matured and Bottled by
Gordon & Macphail, Elgin
The Western Highlands
GLENLOCHY (1898 - 1983)

Fort William, Inverness-shire. Licentiehouder: D. & J. MacCallum Ltd. Onderdeel van Scottish Malt Distillers Ltd. (S.M.D.). De malt divisie van United Distillers Ltd. Eigendom van Guinness.
Glenlochy werd in 1898 gesticht door David McAndie, een inwoner van Nairn, met de naam Glenlochy - Fort William Distillery Company Ltd.
Het gebouwencomplex staat aan de oever van de rivier Nevis, in de schaduw van Ben Nevis en twee kilometer ten noorden van Fort William.
De West Highland Railway was dichtbij.
Het moment was slecht gekozen om een whisky distilleerderij te beginnen, de whisky-boom was teneinde en hoewel Glenlochy nog wel in produktie kwam, was de geproduceerde hoeveelheid veel minder dan de capaciteit.
In de eerste wereldoorlog was Glenlochy gesloten.
In 1920 werden de aandelen verkocht aan een groep Engelse bierbrouwers en was Glenlochy waarschijnlijk enige tijd in gebruik als bierbrouwerij.
Glenlochy was gesloten van 1919 tot 1924 en van 1926 tot 1937.
Van 1934 tot 1937 was er in een deel van Glenlochy een autoverhuurder gevestigd.
In 1937 werd Glenlochy gekocht door Tarin & Mclntyre Ltd, een onderneming van de speculant van Joseph W. Hobbs, die met steun van National Distillers of America, distilleerderijen in Schotland opkocht, om aan de te verwachten vraag, na beëindiging van de drooglegging in Amerika, naar whisky te kunnen voldoen.
Associated Scottish Distillers, onderdeel van Train & Mclntyre kochten een hele reeks be-drijven, Bruichladdich, Glenury Royal, North Esk, Lochside, (Old) Fettercairn, Benromach, en Strathdee.
In 1953 werd Train & Mclntyre overgenomen door The Distillers Company Ltd (D.C.L) en ondergebracht bij hun malt divisie Scottish Malt Distillers Ltd. (S.M.D.).
Glenlochy had twee ketels, werd nog opnieuw ingericht in 1960 en gerenoveerd in 1970 maar werd gesloten in 1983 als gevolg van de recessie die er toen heerste in de Schotse whiskyindustrie.
In 1992 werd het gebouwencomplex gekocht door de lokale hotelgroep West Coast Inn Ltd.
De met een pagoda getooide schoorsteen siert nog steeds het gebouw.
Het water kwam van de rivier de Nevis.
Glenlochy had één Wash still en één Spirit still.

October 2005
Diageo has announced that its 2005 Annual Rare Malts Selection will be the last.
The collection will consist of four cask strenght single malts from closed distilleries; Glen Mhor 28 years old, Millburn 35 years old, Glendullan 26 years old and Linkwood 30 years old.
Dr. Nicholas Morgan, global malts marketing director commented: 'As the Special Releases are now well established, it makes less sence to continue selecting and promoting a parallel series of Rare Malts with his own separate indentity'.
In future, all premium and rare whiskies will be made available in the annual Special Releases series.


1898 Founded by the Glenlochy Fort William Distillery Co, headed by
David McAndies
1901 Production starts
1919 Glenlochy closes
1925 In production again
1926 The distillery closes
1934 The distillery purchased by Thomas Leslie Rankin, motor hirer
1937 Bought by Train & McIntyre through Joseph Hobbs
1938 Transferred to its subsidiary Associated Scottish Distilleries Ltd
Production starts again
1953 Distillers Company Limited, (D.C.L.) buys Train & McIntyre from
National Distillers of America and transfers Glenlochy to Scottish
Malt Distillers (S.M.D.)
1983 Glenlochy is taken out of production
1986 S.M.D. applies for permission to demolish the distillery, but it is not
granted
1992 The premises are sold to the hotel group West Coast Inns Ltd, which
obtains permission to demolish everything excepting the kiln with
its pagoda roof which is declared a historic building

1995 Glenlochy 1969 and 25 years old is launched as a Rare Malt

1996 Glenlochy 1969 and 26 years old is launched as a Rarer Malt

GORDON & MACPHAIL, Elgin

Since 1895 Gordon & Macphail has worked with the majority of Scotland's distilleries and
today, matures, selects and bottles some of the world's finest and rarest Singl Malt Scotch Whiskies.

Founded in 1898, Glenlochy first produced whisky in 1901. The Distillery had several owners before
eventually being acquired by D C L in the 1950s. Although the distillery was modenised and
expanded , it was mothballed in 1983.

A number of the buildings remain - the manager's house and the malting have been converted into
a guest house and apartments. A few official bottling have been released, however Glenlochy remains an extremely rare whisky.

Process- and cooling water was the River Nevis.
The floor malting were abandon in 1968.There was also a supplementary old malt floor in use, which were the maltings of the Nevis Distillery and when Nevis was closed called Lochaber Maltings. This Maltings were in use till 1962 and demolished in 1984.


After that the malt came from Glen Ord Maltings.

The Mash tun had a capacity of 5 tonnes and there were 9 mashes each week.
4 Wooden wash backs each 29000 litres were made of Oregon pine

1 onion shaped Wash stil, indirect heatedl had a capacity of 14.580 litres and the Spirit
still also onion shaped and indirecht heated had a capacity of 14.380 litres

Cooling was done by condensers, bought in 1962. The output was about 1.000.000 litres
of spirit a year.

GLENLOCHY Glenlochy

Nineteenth century Highland malt distillery once operated by Canadian whisky baron Joseph Hobbs.

No official bottlings were released during this Highland distillery’s lifetime – the majority of Glenlochy’s spirit was destined for blends which during the 1930s were headed for the US. However, Diageo released Glenlochy single malt as part of its Rare Malts series during the 1990s and a handful of independent bottlings are still available.

David McAndie of Nairn built Glenlochy distillery in Fort William in the hope of catching the tail end of the great Victorian whisky boom. Founded in 1898 by his aptly-named Glenlochy-Fort William Distillery Co., it was built on the banks of the River Nevis shortly after the completion of the West Highland Railway. With its own rail sidings, Glenlochy was positioned well to transport its whisky down to the blenders in Glasgow with minimal fuss.

Surprisingly for such a young distillery McAndie’s venture survived the crash of the early 20th century. However the First World War majorly disrupted production and the distillery closed in 1919 for the next two decades, during which time it was purchased by Thomas Leslie Rankin and used as a base for a motor hire business.

By the mid-1930s, with Prohibition over in the US and demand for blended Scotch rising, Canadian entrepreneur Joseph Hobbs joined forces with Hatim Attari and Alexander Tolmie to set up Associated Scottish Distillers as a subsidiary of the National Distillers-owned Train & McIntyre. In 1937 the company, which had already acquired Glenury Royal, added Glenlochy to its portfolio and reopened the distillery. The following year Glenesk, Benromach and Fettercairn distilleries were all picked up, while Hobbs’ Bruichladdich distillery joined the fold.

World War II hit Train & McIntrye hard. The widespread disruption to production and subsequent shortages led to National Distillers selling off its Scottish assets – first Bruichladdich to Ross & Coulter in 1952, and the remainder of the company, including Glenlochy, to DCL the following year. Although Train & McIntyre was soon wound up, Hobbs picked himself up and got straight back to distilling, acquiring Glenlochy’s neighbour, Ben Nevis, in 1955. To this day, Ben Nevis remains Fort William’s only distillery.

Although it was modernised by DCL in the years that followed, Glenlochy was eventually closed in 1983 as the company sought to cut back on excessive whisky supply.

It never reopened. The site was sold to West Coast Inns for redevelopment as a hotel in 1991. All Glenlochy’s buildings have since been demolished aside from the original maltings and kilns, which now remain as residential flats

CURRENT OWNER
Diageo
1997 - present (brand)
PREVIOUS OWNERS
United Distillers
1992 - 1997 (brand)
United Distillers
1986 - 1992
Distillers Company Limited
1953 - 1986
Train & McIntyre
1937 - 1953
Thomas Leslie Rankin
1934 - 1937
David McAndie

David McAndie of Nairn built Glenlochy distillery in Fort William in the hope of catching the tail end of the great Victorian whisky boom. Founded in 1898 by his aptly-named Glenlochy-Fort William Distillery Co., it was built on the banks of the River Nevis shortly after the completion of the West Highland Railway. With its own rail sidings, Glenlochy was positioned well to transport its whisky down to the blenders in Glasgow with minimal fuss.

Surprisingly for such a young distillery McAndie’s venture survived the crash of the early 20th century. However the First World War majorly disrupted production and the distillery closed in 1919 for the next two decades, during which time it was purchased by Thomas Leslie Rankin and used as a base for a motor hire business.

By the mid-1930s, with Prohibition over in the US and demand for blended Scotch rising, Canadian entrepreneur Joseph Hobbs joined forces with Hatim Attari and Alexander Tolmie to set up Associated Scottish Distillers as a subsidiary of the National Distillers-owned Train & McIntyre. In 1937 the company, which had already acquired Glenury Royal, added Glenlochy to its portfolio and reopened the distillery. The following year Glenesk, Benromach and Fettercairn distilleries were all picked up, while Hobbs’ Bruichladdich distillery joined the fold.

World War II hit Train & McIntrye hard. The widespread disruption to production and subsequent shortages led to National Distillers selling off its Scottish assets – first Bruichladdich to Ross & Coulter in 1952, and the remainder of the company, including Glenlochy, to DCL the following year. Although Train & McIntyre was soon wound up, Hobbs picked himself up and got straight back to distilling, acquiring Glenlochy’s neighbour, Ben Nevis, in 1955. To this day, Ben Nevis remains Fort William’s only distillery.

Although it was modernised by DCL in the years that followed, Glenlochy was eventually closed in 1983 as the company sought to cut back on excessive whisky supply.

It never reopened. The site was sold to West Coast Inns for redevelopment as a hotel in 1991. All Glenlochy’s buildings have since been demolished aside from the original maltings and kilns, which now remain as residential flats.



CURRENT OWNER
Diageo
1997 - present (brand)
PREVIOUS OWNERS
United Distillers
1992 - 1997 (brand)
United Distillers
1986 - 1992
Distillers Company Limited
1953 - 1986
Train & McIntyre
1937 - 1953
Thomas Leslie Rankin
1934 - 1937
David McA
Back to content | Back to main menu