Go to content

Main menu:

Whisky Collection Bar > B

BRAES OF GLENLIVET      15 years old 43 %                
Distilled 6.6.79
Bottled 5.95
Butt no. 16041
860 numbered bottles
Van Wees, Holland

BRAES OF GLENLIVET      15 years 60%                 
Distilled 06.06.79
Bottled 3.95
Matured in sherry casks
Butt no. 16040
570 numbered bottles
Signatory Vintage
Scotch Whisky Co, Ltd, Edinburgh

BRAES OF GLENLIVET      23 years old 43 %                 
Montgomerie's Single Cask
Malt Scotch Whisky
Distilled on 19 October 1977
Bottled in October 2000
Cask No. 100763
Genummerde flessen
Montgomery & Co, Ltd, Glasgow

BRAES OF GLENLIVET      26 years old 40 %               
Distilled: 1975
Bottled: 2001
Chivas Bros. Ltd.
Gordon & Macphail, Elgin

BRAES OF GLENLIVET (1972 - 2002)    also see BRAEVAL

Banffshire, Chapeltown. Licentiehouder: Chivas Brothers Ltd. Onderdeel van The Chivas & Glenlivet Group. Eigendom van Seagram.
Brae stamt uit het Noors en betekent steile helling. Het is de hoogst gelegen distilleer-derij in het Livet gebied en na Dalwhinnie de twee na hoogst gelegen distilleerderij van Schotland.
De bouw werd gestart op 7 Juli 1972.
De eerste turf werd gestoken door Samuel Bronfman, zoon van de president van Seagram en met de bouw van het gebouwencomplex werd begonnen in Januari 1973
Braes of Glenlivet werd op 29 September 1973 in bedrijf gesteld.
In 1975 werden er twee ketels bijgebouwd, en kwam het aantal op vijf.
In 1978 werd er een zesde ketel bijgebouwd.
Het water komt van twee bronnen, Preenie Well en Kate's Well.
De ketels zijn kopieën van die van Strathisla.
De naam Braes of Glenlivet werd in 1995 veranderd in Braeval.
De Braes of Glenlivet heeft geen eigen lagerpakhuizen. De whisky wordt dagelijks naar de lagerpakhuizen van Saegram te Keith vervoerd.
De Mash tun is 8.4 ton, de vijftien Wash backs zijn elk groot 44000 liter.
De indirekt  verhitte ketels worden met stoom verhit.
De twee Wash stills zijn elk 22000 liter, de vier Spirit stills elk 10000 liter groot.
De produktie capaciteit is vier miljoen liter spirit per jaar.
Met de overname van Seagram door Diageo en Pernod Ricard op 18 December 2000, worden de Schotse whisky en distilleerderijen van Seagram het eigendom van Pernod Ricard.

Aberko Ltd, a small spirits company in Glasgow has acquired the rights to the name
Deerstalker which was established already in 1880

There are four versions of Deerstalker with the 10 and 15 year old consisting of Braeval
the 12 years old is a Allt - A - Bhainne and a Balmenach 18 years old

Also see Balmenach

Brand History

The Deerstalker brand was first owned by a wine & spirit merchant from Edinburgh named J.G.Thomson. He noted the importance of trade marks and realising that these proud, forthright men opitomised the Highland spirit, registered the name and a label with the character of a Deerstalker in 1880, just five years after trade marks came into being.

Since that time it has been trade marked in every major country . J.G.Thomson’s offices were in the port for Edinburgh (Leith) and became known as The Vaults. The building remains to this day and is now home to the Scottish Malt Whisky Society.

Exports took place from the Vaults to all corners of the globe. The brand then changed ownership in 1994 and trades today under The Deerstalker Whisky Company.

Stalking and Whisky

The stalking of deer in the Scottish Highlands is as much a tradition as the distilling of whisky itself, and may be traced back to the 1700’s. Most estates employed stalkers, fiercely independent men, who were respected for their knowledge of the ‘mountains’ and their abilities to track the native red deer.

Deerstalkers achieved notoriety in the Mid 1800’s when Queen Victoria and Prince Albert rebuilt Balmoral Castle & settled for much of the year in the Highlands fishing and stalking; characters such as John Brown became known far outside the Highlands. Whisky, already established in Scotland now became ever more popular south of the border partly as a result of the bond between the royal family and the Highlands.

Stalking deer in the Highlands has a long and noble tradition and is today a necessary activity for controlling numbers of red deer and for providing much needed income into Scottish estates. There remain today many professional stalkers who have inherited the skills of their forefathers, and provide a valuable contribution to the economy of the region.

It is appropriate that a whisky should be named after a profession so closely associated with the source of the national drink.

1973  Seagram Company founds Braes  of Glenlivet trough The Chivas and                                                                                          

 Glenlivet Group
1975  Three stills are increased to five
1978  A sixt still is added
1994  Braes of Glenlivet is named Braeval
2001  Pernod Ricard buys The Chivas and Glenlivet Group
2002  Braeval is mothballed
2008  Braeval is producing again               

First Society bottling in 1998.

One of the most isolated distilleries in Scotland, this was built between 1973/74 by Chivas Bros, an attractive and appropriate architectural style which combines vernacular elements within a modern design. It is highly automated and its original three stills were extended to five in 1975 and six in 1978. Only recently has the malt become available, and only through rare independent bottlings.
Back to content | Back to main menu