59,8% INFO YEAR OF DISTILLATION 1983 FLORA & FAUNA Cask Strenght Limited Bottling Bottled 1997 Genummerde flessen Linkwood Distillery, Elgin, Moray
13 years old
43 % SIGNATORY VINTAGE VINTAGE 1990 Single Highland Malt Scotch Whisky Distilled on 11th June 1990 Bottled on 18th November 2003 Matured in a sherry butt Butt No. 4809 889 Genummerde flessen Natural Colour Signatory Vintage Scotch Whisky Co, Ltd, Edinburgh
11 years old
57.7 % INFO SINGLE CASK SCOTCH MALT WHISKY Distilled Dec 87 Bottled Sept 99 Society Cask No. code 39.26 The Scotch Malt Whisky Society, The Vaults, Leith, Edinburgh 'Callard & Bowsers with Cappuccino'
11 years old
43 % Dist. date 31-05-88 Bottled 11.97 Cask No. 2765 150 bottles Usquebach Society, Holland
18 years old
52,3 % INFO ADELPHI DISTILLERY LIMITED Purveyors of Rare Malt Whiskies aged in Wood and Bottled direct from the Cask Distilled 1987 Cask No. 4495 Bottled 2005 Adelphi Distillery Limited, Glenborrodale Castle, Ardnamurchan
26 years old
44 % THE SECRET TREASURES OF SCOTLAND SINGLE CASK - SINGLE MALT Speyside Scotch Whisky Distilled on 14th September 1976 Bottled Feb. 2002 Cask No. 8025 Especially Selected by A. Rickards, Master Blender 264 Numbered Bottles Imported by: S. Fassbind A.G, Oberath The Moray Malt Whisky Ltd, Edinburgh
18 years old
46 % Speyside Single Malt THE ULTIMATE SINGLE MALT SCOTCH WHISKY SELECTION Distilled 10/05/90 Matured in a hogshead Cask no: 3876 Bottled 06/03/09 Numbered Bottles Natural Colour Non Chillfiltered Selected by The Ultimate Whisky Company, P.O. Box 18, 3800 A A, Amersfoort LINKWOOD
1 9 9 0 19 years old
46 % THE ULTIMATE SINGLE MALT SCOTCH WHISKY SELECTION SPEYSIDE SINGLE MALT Distilled: 10/05/90 Matured in a Hoghshead Cask no: 3875 Bottled: 24/07/09 355 Numbered Bottles Natural Colour Non Chillfiltered The Ultimate Whisky Company, Amersfoort
DISTILLED 1 9 7 2 SINGLE SPEYSIDE MALT SCOTCH WHISKY Bottled 2006 Proprietors: John McEwan & Co, Ltd Matured and Bottled by Gordon & Macphail, Elgin
1 9 9 1 Aged 18 years 43 % SIGNATORY VINTAGE Highland Single Malt Scotch Whisky Distilled on: 16.06.1981 Matured in; Refill Butt Cask No's 10357 - 58 Bottled on: 12.04.2010 829 Numbered bottles Natural Colour Casks individually selected and bottled by Signatory Vintage Scotch Whisky Co, Ltd, Pitlochry
Aged 18 years
52.90 % A BLADNOCH FORUM BOTTLE Dist. 16th September 1991 Hoghshead no. 10346 Bottled 26th May 2010 252 Numbered Bottles Bladnoch Distillery, Wigtown
1 9 9 8 12 years old
46 % THE ULTIMATE SINGLE MALT SCOTCH WHISKY Speyside Single Malt Distilled: 06/04/98 Matured in a Hoghshead Cask no: 5120 Bottled: 09/03/11 301 Numbered Bottles Selected by The Ultimate Whisky Company, NL
1 9 9 3
19 years old
GORDON & MACPAHIL RESERVE
SINGLE MALT SCOTCH WHISKY
From Linkwood Distillery
Distillation date: 14/06/1993
Working with the specialists at
Gordon & Macphail, Van Wees has selected the cask for
this unique bottling
Exclusively Bottled for Van Wees
Cask Type: Refill Sherry Hogshead
Cask Number: 6817
No. of Bottles: 224
Bottling Month: September 2012
Specially Selected, produced and
Bottled by Gordon & Macphail, Elgin
55.2 % 1 9 8 5 Matured for 27 years Speyside Single Malt THE ULTIMATE SINGLE MALT SCOTCH WHISKY RARE RESERVE Distilled: 26/11/85 Matured in a Hogshead Cask no: 4537 Bottled: 20/0913 174 Numbered Bottles Natural Colour Non Chill Filtered Selected by The Ultimate Whisky Company.NL
2 0 0 8 6 years old
46 % THE ULTIMATE SINGLE MALT SCOTCH WHISKY Speyside Single Malt Distilled: 14/05/08 Matured in a Bourbon Barrel Cask no: 800001 Bottled: 07/05/15 354 Numbered Bottles Natural Colour Non Chill Filtered Selected by The Ultimate Whisky Company.NL
LINKWOODINFO Aged 10 years
60.7 % SCOTCH SINGLE MALT WHISKY FROM A SINGLE CASK Date Distilled 7th May 2004 Cask Type: Refill Barrel ex Bourbon Outtturn: One of only 202 Bottles Society Single Cask: Code: 39.109 The Scotch Malt Whisky Society, The Vaults, Leith, Edinburgh "Dark sweetness and citric zing" LINKWOODINFO Age 11 years
60 % SINGLE MALT SCOTCH WHISKY FROM A SINGLE CASK Date Distilled: 7th May 2004 Cask Type: Refill Barrel / ex Bourbon Outturn; One of Only 236 Bottles Society Single Cask: Code: 3 9 . 1 1 4 The Scotch Malt Whisky Society, The Vaults, Leith, Edinburgh Spicy & Sweet "So many colours in the rainbow"
46 % Matured for 7 years THE ULTIMATE SINGLE MALT SCOTCH WHISKY Speyside Single Malt Distilled: 14/05/08 Matured in a Bourbon Barrel Cask no: 800013 Bottled: 19/08/15 222 Numbered Bottles Natural Colour Non Chillfiltered Selected by The Ultimate Whisky Company. NL
Elgin, Morayshire. Licentiehouder: John McEwan & Co, Ltd. Onderdeel van Scottish Malt Distillers Ltd. (S.M.D.). De malt divisie van United Distillers Ltd. Eigendom van Guinness. Peter Brown, een invloedrijke boer, stichtte in 1821 Linkwood. De distilleerderij had twee ketels en produceerde in de jaren 1827 - 1828 2761 liter spirit. James Walker van James Walker & Co, exploiteerde Linkwood ten behoeve van Peter Brown van 1842 tot aan zijn dood in 1868. Zijn zoon William Brown volgde hem op en bouwde een kompleet nieuwe en veel grotere distilleerderij op dezelfde plek. Het ontwerp was van hemzelf, maar met hulp van Mr Methven, architect te Elgin. William Brown stierf in 1893. In 1897 werd de Linkwood - Glenlivet Distillery Ltd opgericht. De whiskyboom had nog een paar jaar te gaan. De raad van commisarissen bestond uit Gilbert L. Brown, distillateur te Elgin, J.T. Tow-send. de stichter van Scapa en R.C. Cameron, juridisch adviseur te Elgin. De gebouwen werden vergroot en de kapaciteit verdubbeld in 1896 - 1897. Innes Cameron, whiskymakelaar te Elgin, en partner in Munro & Cameron, eigenaars van Teaninich Distillery, werd lid van het bestuur in 1902 en was beherend vennoot gedurende vele jaren. Dankzij het conservatieve beleid van Cameron kwam Linkwood ongeschonden door de moeilijke jaren na het instorten van de whiskymarkt na 1899. Innes Cameron stierf in 1932, 72 jaar oud. The Linkwood - Glenlivet Distillery Ltd werd opgeheven in 1933 en Linkwood werd gekocht voor E 80.000 door Scottish Malt Distillers Ltd. Linkwood was gesloten van 1941 - 1945. Roderick Mackenzie, die al werkte bij Linkwood werd manager. Hij was een fanatiek aanhanger van de theorie dat alles in en om de distilleerderij van wezenlijk belang was voor het produkt, legendarisch is dat zelfs de spinnenwebben niet mochten worden verwijderd in het ketelhuis. In 1962 werd Linkwood kompleet herbouwd, nog ander zijn leiding. In 1971 werd naast Linkwood een tweede distilleerderij gebouwd met vier ketels. De nieuwe distilleerderij kreeg geen eigen naam maar staat intern bekend als Linkwood B. Ze zijn beiden nog in bedrijf.
LINKWOOD 1956 UNVEILED BY GORDON & MACPHAIL
20 March 2018
Independent bottler Gordon & MacPhail has released the second in a series of four ultra-rare single cask single malt whiskies: Private Collection from Linkwood Distillery 1956 by Gordon & MacPhail.
Linkwood 1956 Gordon & MacPhail
Second in line: Linkwood 1956 is number two of a four-part series of rare single malts
Costing £22,000 (UK RRP) each, only 53 decanters of the 60-year-old Speyside single malt are being released, taken from Cask 20, a first-fill Sherry hogshead filled at Linkwood on 3 January 1956.
It is the last 1950s Linkwood cask in Gordon & MacPhail’s large inventory, and is believed to be the last remaining 1950s cask from the distillery left in the world.
Cask 20 was one of the last casks laid down by John Urquhart, first-generation member of the family that still owns Gordon & MacPhail, before he retired the following month.
The whisky is described as mahogany and chestnut brown in colour, and ‘intricately layered’, with ‘highlights of blueberry, fruit cake and dark chocolate’ and a ‘resoundingly rich finish’.
Stephen Rankin, director of prestige at Gordon & MacPhail and fourth-generation member of the Urquhart family, said: ‘This incredible whisky is the culmination of the unrivalled knowledge and skills passed down and strengthened, over the decades, through four generations of my family.
‘It is the deep understanding of the relationship between the oak and the spirit that has allowed Gordon & MacPhail to nurture this cask for six decades while retaining the unique distillery character.’
The 49.4% abv bottling is the second of four single cask whiskies that make up the Private Collection range, following the launch of Private Collection Glenlivet 1943 by Gordon & MacPhail in October 2017.
All 53 decanters are hand-blown and individually numbered, with a certificate of authenticity signed by Stephen Rankin.
The contours etched into the gold base and stopper of each decanter are designed to echo the landscape surrounding the Linkwood distillery.
A number of decanters are available for purchase at Gordon & MacPhail’s ‘spiritual home’, the shop in South Street, Elgin.
Er zijn plannen om het distillaat van de twee distilleerderijen apart te bottelen. Het proceswater komt van bronnen bij Milbuies Loch, het koelwater van de Linkwood Burn. In 1962 - 1963 werd Linkwood aangesloten op het electriciteitsnet. De meeste van de single malt whiskies van Linkwood gaat in de blends Abbot's Choice en Chequers. Linkwood had altijd veel sherry un geur en smaak, maar te beginnen met de Linkwood uit de serie 'Flora & Fauna', is de sherry minder nadrukkelijk aanwezig. De twee ketels van Linkwood A en de vier ketels van Linkwood B kunnen 2,5 miljoen liter spirit produceren per jaar. Op 12 Mei 1997 wordt de fusie aangekondigd tussen Guinness en Grand Metropolitan. Op 22 Oktober 1997 wordt bekend gemaakt dat de naam van de gefuseerden Diageo wordt. Het water voor Linkwood komt van Millbuies Springs De Mash tun is 12 ton. In Linkwood A staan één Wash still van 17000 liter en één Spirit still van 15000 liter en vijf Wash backs van elk 30.000 liter. In Linkwood B staan twee ketels met dezelfde inhoud, maar de vijf Wash backs zijn elk 60.000 liter.
"Society in Elgin", Anderson's Guide to the Highlands reported in 1834, "comprehends an unusual proportion of persons in easy or affluent circumstances". These certainly included the Browns of Linkwood. They had earned their position by professional skill and unremitting public service. George Brown came to the house of Linkwood as factor of the Earl of Findlater's Morayshire estates in 1788. He surveyed almost all the roads built by Telford in the Highlands and served six times as Provost of Elgin. One of his sons, General Sir George Brown, commanded the Light Division in theCrimean War. Another, Peter Brown of Linkwood, factor of the Seafield estates in Moray and Banffshire, was one of the foremost agricultural improvers in the northern counties, and a man of much influence and forceful character. Peter Brown built Linkwood Distillery in 1821. It may conceivably have drawn some or all of its barley from the Linkwood estate, and would almost certainly have provided distillery waste to fatten the farm animals. According to Customs & Excise records, it produced 1,064 gallons (2,761 litres) from two stills in 1827-28. James Walker, then James Walker & Co., worked the distillery from 1842 until Peter Brown died in 1868. His son William Brown succeeded him in the tenancy of the Linkwood estate, but gave it up after a few years. He took charge of Linkwood Distillery, pulled it down in 1872-73 and erected "spacious new premises". The original design was his own, "put into shape and carried out by Mr. Methven, architect, Elgin", according to the Elgin Courant for 10 April 1874. It reported that "nothing has been left undone ... that could add to the convenience, durability, or appearance of the establishment... The manufacture of spirits has now been going on for a considerable time, and we are glad to say that the aqua produced is quite equal in flavour, and in every other respect, to that which attained the celebrity of Linkwood whisky as produced by the older and very much smaller work now superseded". William Brown died in 1893, aged 67, at Dunkinty House, which adjoined the distillery. Four years later, almost at the peak of a speculative boom in malt whisky distilling, the business was floated as Linkwood-Glenlivet Distillery Ltd., a limited liability company. The directors were Gilbert L. Brown, distiller, of Elgin; J. T. Townsend, of Scapa Distillery, Orkney, and Glasgow; and R. C. Cameron, solicitor, bank agent, and land agent, of Elgin. The premises were extended, and productive capacity doubled, in 1896-97. Linkwood whisky, hitherto little known outside the district, where it had always been a great favourite, now began to fetch a good price in the markets of the south.
Innes Cameron, whisky broker of Elgin, and a partner in Munro & Cameron, owners of Teaninich Distillery, Alness, joined the board in 1902 and was managing director for many years. When he died in 1932, aged 72, he was the largest shareholder. It was consequently decided to sell the distillery and to wind up the company. ScottishMalt Distillers Ltd. bought Linkwood in 1933 for £0. J.B. Wylie, SMD's company secretary, noted that Cameron had pursued "a conservative policy in building up reserves. In 1922, for example, when many other companies were in financial difficulty, Linkwood had more than enough working capital; so the preference share capital was reduced by a repayment of £5 per share. Two years later, the balance was paid off by the same means. The great success that the enterprise enjoyed was largely due to Innes Cameron's knowledge of business and especially of the whisky trade." Linkwood Distillery closed from 1941 to 1945, on account of war-time restrictions on the use of barley by distillers. When it reopened, the employee appointed to be manager was Roderick Mackenzie. For the next eighteen years he supervised the production of Linkwood's make with unremitting vigilance. He believed that the character of a malt whisky depended, among other factors, on a complex relationship not just of the vessels in which it is made, but of everything in the immediate environment. In 1962, when SMDdecided that the condition of the old buildings and the cramped lay-out of the plant made complete rebuilding necessary, the paramount consideration, as in the 1873 rebuilding programme, was safeguarding the character of the make. The new stills, according to SMD custom, were exact replicas of those replaced. Mackenzie was immediately responsible for fitting the innovations into the framework of established practice. He started up the new distillery just before his retirement date in 1963. An additional distillery, commissioned to meet the forecast demand by blending companies in the DCL Group for Linkwood malt whisky, was completed in 1971, with four stills, steam-heated from an oil-fired boiler. The two stills in the older distillery were converted at this time to steam-heating. Linkwood today is a complex of modern distillery buildings and old warehouses. It still has an air, proper to Highland malt distilleries, of having been there for a long time. The trees that shelter it from the north wind and screen it from Dunkinty House are the successors of those planted and maintained by George and Peter Brown. The description of the dam as "an exceedingly pretty sheet of water" is still appropriate. Swans drift on the surface with disdainful ease; but, like the dam, they are there for a practical purpose. The original pair was brought here from Gordon Castle, long ago, to keep down the weeds.
The dam holds cooling water from the Burn of Linkwood. Other cooling water is piped from the Burn of Bogs and process water comes from springs near Milbuies Loch. A steam engine, supplemented by a water wheel, drove all the machinery until replaced by electric power in 1962-63. Today Linkwood is still owned by Scottish Malt Distillers Ltd., of Elgin, a subsidiary of The Distillers Company Limited, of Edinburgh. SMD is responsible for the production and ware-housing of malt whiskies for companies within the DCL Group, and operates 45 malt whisky distilleries, associated makings, and bonded warehouses, throughout Scotland. The licensed distillers are John McEwan & Co. Ltd., Leith, blenders of The Abbot's Choice and of Chequers De Luxe Scotch whiskies. They bottle Linkwood as a single malt whisky.
THE RARE MALTS SELECTION The Rare Malts Selection, now drawing to a close after ten years, has always been made from remarkable cask-strenght single malt Scotch whiskies; among the rarest, most precious stocks to survive in Scotland. Looked after undisturbed by careful hands since birth, each has been nurtured to perfection, then selected on merit by a distinguished panel of experts. Often twenty or more years of age, many Rare Malts have been so rare that they will never be seen again. Connoisseurs have appreciated their full rich colour and enjoyed their true depth of flavour, thanks to unfiltered cask-strenght bottling. Nosing them has been an act of reverence to enjoy in itself. When tasting, it has always been advised that the correct dilution for a cask-strenght Rare Malt should be two parts water to one of whisky. Each individually numbered bottle has revealed a most intriguing character, its individuality emphasised by a quirk peculiar to natural cask strenght bottlings. So small has been each bottling run that every Rare Malt, drawn from casks, which naturally differ, has had its own unique strenght. The Rare Malts Selection: each unique to taste, give, collect and now, to remember with affection.
THE LAST RARE MALTS SELECTION The Rare Malts have always been, by definition, rare. They have never been on widespread sale. Available only in selected outlets, each has been released as a strictly limited edition of individually numbered bottles. As with fine vintage wine, the supply of Rare Malts has been restricted by availability. Once each was exhausted, its place in the Selection was taken by an equally rare bottling of a similarly fine old single malt. And now, the stocks from which the Rare Malts were drawn are almost exhausted, the very last selection has been made. It is limited to no more than 6000 bottles of each make, and is additionally distinguished by coming in part from closed distilleries. The last of the last. Truly, these are The Rare Malts.
October 2005 Diageo has announced that its 2005 Annual Rare Malts Selection will be the last. The collection will consist of four cask strenght single malts from closed distilleries; Glen Mhor 28 years old, Millburn 35 years old, Glendullan 26 years old and Linkwood 30 years old. Dr. Nicholas Morgan, global malts marketing director commented: 'As the Special Releases are now well established, it makes less sence to continue selecting and promoting a parallel series of Rare Malts with his own separate indentity'. In future, all premium and rare whiskies will be made available in the annual Special Releases series
Diageo has named Teaninich near Alness as the location for its plans to build a new 50 million pound new malt whisky distillery and will be adjacent the existing Teaninich distillery but will have its own name and indentity and will have the capacity to produce 13 million litres of spirit p[er annum from its 16 stills.
Diageo also invest 12 million pound in expanding the Teaninich distillery to almost doubless capacity.
The site will also feature a bio - energy plant.
The work will begin in 2014.
Diageo also will invest in Mortlach distillery in building a new still house and an other invest- ment will be at Glendullan distillery to process co products in an anaerobic digestion process, producing bio - gas which will be used to power the Glendullan distillery.
There are also expansion and upgrade developments for more then 40 million pound in Linkwood, Mannochmore, Glendullan, Dailuaine, Benrinnes, Inchgower, Cragganmore, Glen Elgin, Glen Ord and in a new bio - energie plants in Glenlossie and Dailuaine.
Also new warehouse are build at Cluny near Kirkcaldy.
And at Talisker a new visitor centre is build for a 1 million pound.
When mature, however, although Linkwood's freshness is retained the palate reveals a thick texture which slows the whisky down in the mouth. It is this combination of texture and delicacy which makes it prized by blenders – and much loved by malt whisky aficionados. The fragrance is achieved by creating very clear wort, having a very long fermentation and distilling (slowly to maximise copper conversation) in pairs of stills in which the spirit is larger than the wash, allowing even more copper contact.
Located on the outskirts of Elgin (though now within its ever-growing suburbs) Linkwood was established in 1821, but only started production in 1824. Owner Peter Brown was the factor [manager] of the Linkwood Estate and wisely kept his nose clean until the 1823 Excise Act was on the stature book.
It was completely rebuilt in 1874 by his son William and existed as an independent distiller, run by an Elgin-based whisky broker, until 1932 when it joined the DCL stable. It has remained in production ever since, with regular upgrades taking place, most significantly in 1972 when a new distillery was built opposite the old buildings.
Both plants ran until 1985 when the original ceased production, although it was still used as an experimental site – it was here that a lot of Diageo’s research into copper, reflux and the effect of worm tubs took place. In the late 1990s it was on the shortlist to become the Speyside representative in The Classic Malts range.
In 2012, the old building was demolished as part of yet another upgrade. This time six new washbacks were installed in a new distillery along with two new stills. Capacity is now in excess of 5.5m litres per annum.
Linkwood is bottled as a 12-year-old in Diageo’s Flora & Fauna range, and for many years quasi-official bottlings have come from Gordon & MacPhail of Elgin – often from ex-Sherry casks. Other independent bottlings appear fairly regularly.
Peter Brown founds Linkwood, but doesn't begin distilling until three years later
Peter dies and his son, William, inherits the distillery
Linkwood is demolished and completely rebuilt
Linkwood Glenlivet Distillery Company is established to control the distillery's operation
Scottish Malt Distillers assumes control of Linkwood
A second distillery with four stills is built opposite Linkwood's old buildings
The original Linkwood distillery ceases production
Three Linkwood 26-year-old wood finishes are released
A distillery upgrade sees six new washbacks installed with two new stills; the old buildings are demolished