Go to content

Main menu:

Whisky Collection Bar > B

BRECHIN   33 years old 52,4 %               INFO        
THE OLD & RARE
PLATINUM SELECTION
Single Cask Single Malt Scotch Whisky
Distilled 1970
Bottled 2003
Limited Edition
Bottled at Natural Cask Strenght
Traditionally Un - Chill Filtered
479 Bottles Filled from The Cask
Genummerde flessen
Offered with pride from
Douglas Laing & Co, Ltd, Glasgow

BRECHIN       28 years old  53,3 %        INFO   
SPECIAL RELEASES 2005
Natural Cask Strenght
Numbered Bottles
Limited Release
From American Oak Refill Casks
2040 Bottles
Scottish Malt Distillers, Elgin




Eastern Highlands
BRECHIN (1820 - 1983)       also see    NORTH PORT BRECHIN


October 2005
Diageo has announced that its 2005 Annual Rare Malts Selection will be the last. The collection will consist of four cask strenght single malts from closed distilleries; Glen Mhor 28 years old, Millburn 35 years old, Glendullan 26 years old and Linkwood 30 years old.
Dr. Nicholas Morgan, global malts marketing director commented: 'As the Special Releases are now well established, it makes less sence to continue selecting and promoting a parallel series of Rare Malts with his own separate indentity'. In future, all premium and rare whiskies will be made available in the annual Special Releases series.
Douglas Laing & Co, Ltd
Douglas House 18, Lynedoch Crescent, Glasgow G 3 6 £ Q.

THE OLD MALT CASK 500
In 1949 Fred Douglas Laing established Douglas Laing & Co primarily as a blender and bottler for his Scotch Whisky blends The King of Scots and House of Peers, which are available today internationally.
Large stocks and reserves of aging Malts in particular, were laid down by Mr. Laing, many being guarded for 25 - 30 years specifically for the older blends such as the 25 and 30 Year Old KING OF SCOTS.
With more than 50 different Malts in stock, over the last 50 years from filling programme, it was obvious that the Malt Master would have certain favourites. These have variously been chalked off the times of regular quality control, as being of particular qualitative interest; both commercially, and for the pleasure of the Directors. It has been their particular perk, benefit and privelege to nose and taste some of the finest quality samples indicative of the Distillers's art.
It was judged by the two current owners/directors (sons of the founder, so nepotism is not dead!) that some of these stocks were 'too good to blend'. And so the OLD MALT CASK selection was developed in 1999 to extend those perks and benefits beyond the Director's tasting suite!
Initially it was felt that 50 different Malts commemorating the Company's 50th Anniversary would be approciate. That tally has now been exeeded but our preferred strenght of 50 X ale/vol is maintained. We believe this strenght creates a fine, round, full quality for various Malts when taken 'neat'. It also allows the regular consumer to know precisely how much or little water should be added to this artisan and craftman's distillate.
These selected Malt Whiskies have waited many years to reach their classic heights of qua-lity. Not only with your health in mind, but with a view to greater enjoyment, may we suggest that in the style of the founder, whose signature endorses your Malt, you enjoy its glass leisurely and slowly.
Douglas Laing.

ORTH PORT DISTILLERY

Before North Port distillery (or Brechin as it was originally known) was built, the residents of the Angus royal burgh were supplied with whisky by smugglers carrying it south from the north Grampians. The Guthrie family took great pride in their distillery – modern machinery was installed to increase production capacity, though the whisky was distilled in ‘old fashioned’ pot stills and condensed in worm tubs using water from the Den Burn, which ran through the site.

Like the illicit whisky smuggling into Brechin, its water and peat also came from the Grampians, while ‘the very best barley’ was sourced from nearby farms.

North Port’s whisky was never officially bottled as a single malt during its lifetime, although Diageo had it bottled for its Rare Malts series in 1995, 1998 and 1999, as well as under the name ‘Brechin’ for its Special Releases in 2005. In his book The Malt Whisky Companion, whisky writer Michael Jackson described North Port’s whisky as ‘dry, fruity, gin-like. Aperitif’.

During the 19th century the principle trade of the town and former royal burgh of Brechin in Angus was textile manufacturing, much of which was exported to France. However Brechin was also home to two breweries and two distilleries – Glencadam, which was built in 1825 by George Cooper, and Brechin distillery, which was founded five years earlier by three of the Guthrie brothers.

David, John and Alexander Guthrie, sons of a local merchant and former provost of the town, established their distillery a half-mile away from the South Esk river under the trading name of Townhead Distillery Co. Three of 13 siblings, the brothers’ venture would not have sat well with their younger brother Dr. Thomas Guthrie, who eventually became renowned as a reverend and staunch supporter of the temperance movement, the roots of which were only very slight at the time.

Still, Brechin distillery prevailed and remained in family ownership for around 100 years. At some point during the 19th century the family changed the distillery’s name to North Port, referencing a nearby gate in the wall that once surrounded the town (Brechin is still a town, despite having a cathedral).

In 1922 the distillery, which could produce 450,000 litres of spirit per year, was bought by Distillers Company Ltd. (DCL) and W.H. Holt & Co. Ltd. It was transferred to DCL’s Scottish Malt Distillers in the same year.

SMD closed North Port in 1928 and aside from a brief airing it remained silent after the Second World War. North Port gained a second wind in the mid-1900s but became one of the nine DCL distilleries to close in 1983 as a response to widespread excess stocks in the market.

The distillery’s buildings were gradually dismantled piece by piece until it was finally demolished in 1994 to make way for a supermarket.

Before North Port distillery (or Brechin as it was originally known) was built, the residents of the Angus royal burgh were supplied with whisky by smugglers carrying it south from the north Grampians. The Guthrie family took great pride in their distillery – modern machinery was installed to increase production capacity, though the whisky was distilled in ‘old fashioned’ pot stills and condensed in worm tubs using water from the Den Burn, which ran through the site.

Like the illicit whisky smuggling into Brechin, its water and peat also came from the Grampians, while ‘the very best barley’ was sourced from nearby farms.

North Port’s whisky was never officially bottled as a single malt during its lifetime, although Diageo had it bottled for its Rare Malts series in 1995, 1998 and 1999, as well as under the name ‘Brechin’ for its Special Releases in 2005. In his book The Malt Whisky Companion, whisky writer Michael Jackson described North Port’s whisky as ‘dry, fruity, gin-like. Aperitif’.


During the 19th century the principle trade of the town and former royal burgh of Brechin in Angus was textile manufacturing, much of which was exported to France. However Brechin was also home to two breweries and two distilleries – Glencadam, which was built in 1825 by George Cooper, and Brechin distillery, which was founded five years earlier by three of the Guthrie brothers.

David, John and Alexander Guthrie, sons of a local merchant and former provost of the town, established their distillery a half-mile away from the South Esk river under the trading name of Townhead Distillery Co. Three of 13 siblings, the brothers’ venture would not have sat well with their younger brother Dr. Thomas Guthrie, who eventually became renowned as a reverend and staunch supporter of the temperance movement, the roots of which were only very slight at the time.

Still, Brechin distillery prevailed and remained in family ownership for around 100 years. At some point during the 19th century the family changed the distillery’s name to North Port, referencing a nearby gate in the wall that once surrounded the town (Brechin is still a town, despite having a cathedral).

In 1922 the distillery, which could produce 450,000 litres of spirit per year, was bought by Distillers Company Ltd. (DCL) and W.H. Holt & Co. Ltd. It was transferred to DCL’s Scottish Malt Distillers in the same year.

SMD closed North Port in 1928 and aside from a brief airing it remained silent after the Second World War. North Port gained a second wind in the mid-1900s but became one of the nine DCL distilleries to close in 1983 as a response to widespread excess stocks in the market.

The distillery’s buildings were gradually dismantled piece by piece until it was finally demolished in 1994 to make way for a supermarket.

TIMELINE

1820
David, John & Alexander Guthrie found Brechin distillery under the company Townhead Distillery Co.
1825
The company name is changed to Guthrie, Martin & Co.
1893
Guthrie, Martin & Co. is incorporated
1922
Brechin (now known as North Port) distillery is acquired by DCL and W.H. Holt, and transferred to SMD
1928
The distillery is mothballed
1937
North Port reopens for two years before a forced closure during the war
1945
North Port reopens and resumes whisky production
1983
DCL closes North Port distillery along with eight others in its portfolio
1994
North Port's buildings are demolished to make way for a supermarket
OWNERS

Diageo logo
CURRENT OWNER

Diageo
1997 - present
PREVIOUS OWNERS

United Distillers
1986 - 1997
Distillers Company Limited
1922 - 1986
Guthrie, Martin & Co
1825 - 1922
Townhead Distillery Company
1820 - 1825
Back to content | Back to main menu