Sinds1990het eigendom vanWilliam Grant & Sons Ltd. The Convalmore - Glenlivet Distillery Co, Ltdwerd gevormd op24 Juni 1893met een kapitaal van £ 12.000.Aandeelhouders waren wijn- en drankenhandelaars teGlasgow. Directeur werdPeter Dawsoneen bekend whiskyhandelaar teDufftown.Architekt wasDonald Mackay.De distilleerderij ging in produktie inFebruari 1894. . In1896werd het aandelenkapitaal verhoogd tot £ 40 en in1904werdThe Convalmore - Glenlivet Distillery Co, Ltdgeliquideert vanwege de enorme neergang die de whiskyindustrie toen doormaakte. W.P. Lowrie & Co, Ltd, te Glasgow, een grote voorraadhouder, handelaar, makelaar in whisky nam de distilleerderij en de whisky over.Eén afnemer vanLowriewasJames Buchanandie al zijn whisky van hem betrok . In1906kwam ookLowriein moeilijkheden en werd geholpen doorBuchanandie voor 5/8 aandeelhouder werd vanW.P. Lowrie & Co, Ltd.Eerder hadLowrie Buchanangeholpen om zelfstandig te worden en zijnBlack & Whiteblended whisky uit te brengen.
In de nacht van29 October 1909werd de distilleerderij door brand verwoest. In1910wasConvalmoreweer herbouwd. In1930kwamConvalmoreonder de hoede vanScottish Malt Distillers Ltd, na de fusie vanBuchananen anderen metThe Distillers Company Ltd.
In1949werdConvalmoreaangesloten op het electriciteits net.Gedurende een korte periode rond1910heeft Convalmore ook nog eenpatent stillbinnen zijn muren gehad.
In1972werd er een afdeling bijgebouwd die diende om veevoer van reststoffen van het distillatieproces te produceren afkomstig vanConvalomore, Craigellachie, GlendullanenMortlach. Het proceswater kwam van deConval Hills,het koelwater van de rivierFiddich. .Convalmorehadvier ketels.
William Grant & Sons Ltd,gebruikt de distilleerderij als lagerpakhuis
The Convalmore-Glenlivet Distillery Co. Ltd.was aGlasgow-based company, formed on24 June 1893.It had a capital of £0, divided into ordinary shares of £10 each, all of which were taken up by wine and spirit merchants, or brokers, mainly in the Glasgowarea. By this means, a trade weekly asserted in November, "a ready market for the make is at once assured". The paper added that the project had been minutely supervised by the company's managing director, Peter Dawson,a wholesale whisky merchant inGlasgow, and aDufftownman "whose long experience and knowledge of distilleries and their requirements is sufficient to ensure a work perfect in every detail".
Production began in February1894, when theElgin Courantpublished a description of the new distillery, designed by aDufftownarchitect,Donald Mackay. "Its situation (close to the railway station and within a mile of the town ofDufftown)is most convenient and central and will save considerable time and money in cartage", the paper stated. "The natural contour of the ground has been largely taken advantage of, and during the whole process of manufacture only one pump is used ... gravitation doing all the rest". A "powerful steam engine" drove the malt mill and the mashing machine, and a small water-wheel, fed by the overflow from the worm tank, was used to work the rummager in the wash still.
The company was reconstructed in1896with a capital increased fourfold to £40. Eight years later, midway in a period of recession in the trade, it went into voluntary liquidation to enable its sale toW. P. Lowrie & Co. Ltd.,ofGlasgow.Lowrieoperated as a stockholder, blender and bottler for wholesale merchants ofScotchwhisky who had no premises of their own for production. One of these,James Buchanan,drew all his supplies of whisky fromLowrie.Their close relationship had been of mutual benefit, becauseBuchanan'shad become one of the"Big Three"whisky houses. By1906,however, the collapse in the market for mature whiskies had broughtLowrieinto financial difficulty. His readiness to retire coincided withBuchanan'sneed to avert the collapse of his sole supplier. TheLowriecompany was reconstructed with five-eighths of the capital held byBuchananand the capacity of its blending and bottling warehouses inGlasgowwas expanded to meet the growing sales ofBuchanan's Black & White Scotch Whisky.
On the night of29 October 1909a fire broke out atConvalmore.First observed at midnight in the vicinity of the tunroom, it quickly spread to the malt barns, and it was evident (theDufftown Newsreported) that these buildings could not be saved. Local residents helped to work the distillery's fire-fighting apparatus, but the heat seems to have prevented the connection of the hoses. The workers had to fall back on carrying buckets of water "which required very much energy and was attended with not a little personal danger...
By great efforts and considerable risk of life the fire was kept from spreading to the stillhouse and store adjoining the tunroom. For some time the fire raged with extraordinary ferocity, and fears for the safety of the whole building were entertained. While it was at its height the flames rose to between 30 and 40 feet high, and the scene in the valley was a remarkable and never-to-be forgotten one by those who witnessed it. To add to the other discomforts, snow commenced to fall, and the effect of the burning building on the white landscape provided a striking picture".
The malt barn, the kiln, the malt mill, the mash house and the tunroom were destroyed, with damage estimated to cost between £0 and £0. They were rebuilt and re-equipped in1910. The premises continued to be worked byW. P. Lowrie & Co.until1930, when ownership was transferredto Scottish Malt Distillers Ltd., a subsidiary ofThe Distillers Company Limited of Edinburgh, which by then had merged withJamesBuchananand other majorScotchwhisky blending companies.
Convalmorecovers a site of approximately 7 acres (about 3 hectares). It accommodated a signals detachment of the51st (Highland) Divisionfrom1940to1942,and then gunners from the52nd (Lowland) Divisionuntil 1944.The distillery was connected with the electric grid in approximately1949. It had been equipped with its own source of electric light before the fire of1909, and now had the option of electric power. At this time a largeTangye steam enginewas used in the malt barns, the mill room and the mash house; a small one drove the tunroom switchers, the pumps in the stillhouse and the dynamo that generated electric light. The small engine was taken away for scrap in approximately1967and the large one in1969.
The two pot stills were externally heated by coal-burning furnaces, fired by hand, until they were converted in1962to internal heating by steam from a coal-burning boiler. Two stills, and a second boiler were added, and the wash backs were increased from four to six, in1964-65.The boilers were converted to oil-firing in1970. A new mash house was built, and the cast iron mash tun replaced by one of stainless steel, in1975. The worm tank, untypically, is made of cast iron.
A plant was built in1972for the production ofdark grains, a high-protein animal feedingstuff, from the solid matter left over from the mashing and distillation processes atConvalmore, Craigellachie, GlendullanandMortlach Distilleries.
Most employees live in the area ofDufftown, Drummuir, Craigellachie and Keipʣpʣ�����i�ʣ�ʣ@�ʣMalt Distillersowns six houses for occupation by employees at the distillery.
Convalmoretakes its name from theConval Hills,the source of its process water, which is collected in a dam at the foot of the hills, less than a mile from the distillery. Cooling water is drawn from theRiver Fiddich. October 2005 Diageohas announced that its2005 Annual Rare Malts Selectionwill be the last. The collection will consist of four cask strenght single malts from closed distilleries;Glen Mhor 28 years old, Millburn 35 years old, Glendullan 26 years old and Linkwood 30 years old. Dr. Nicholas Morgan, global malts marketing director commented: 'As theSpecial Releasesare now well established, it makes less sence to continue selecting and promoting a parallel series ofRare Maltswith his own separate indentity'.In future, all premium and rare whiskies will be made available in theannual Special Releasesseries.
The Convalmore - Glenlivet Distillery CoestablishedConvalmore Distilleryin1893.
Following a recession in the whisky industry in1904, the distillery and its stock was purchased byW.P. Lowrie & Co, Ltdfor the sum of 6.000 pound. Two years later, Lowriewas purchased byJames Buchanan & Co, Ltd.
With much of the distillery destroyed by fire in1909.a substantial amount of the equipment within the distillery had to be rebuilt.
Part of the rebuild involved the installation of acontinuous still,with the capacity to distil2,273 litres of wash per hour
During this time, the owners experimented withcontinuous distillation,which was abandonedin1915.
Thecontinuous stillwas removed in1916, but pot still distillation continued.
In1925the distillery was aquired by theDistillers Company Ltdwho completed the modernisation fo the distillery andanother pair of stills were added to the original pair.
The distillery continued successfully for many years until1985when it was closed, due toover - production in theScotchWhisky Industry
In1992D.C.L.sold the distillery toW. Grant & Sons Ltd,who currently use it for warehousingcapacity'.:
1893 Founded by theConvalmore - Glenlivet Distillery Company,Architect is Donald MackayfromDufftown
1894 Production starts 1905 Purchased from liquidator for 6000 Pound plus stock à 2s. 6d.per proof gallon in March byW.P. Lowrie,whisky blenders,Glasgow
1906 W.P. Lowrieruns into financial troubles andJames Buchanan,a major customer and friend toW.P. Lowrie, takes overLowrieincludingConvalmore
1909 A fire in October destroyesConvalmore
1910 Convalmoreis back in operationExperimental distillingofmaltwhisky incontinuous stills, take place
1916 Thecontinuous stillexperiments are abandoned
1925 Convalmoreis bought by theDistillers Company Limited (D.C.L.)fromJames Buchanan & Co 1930 D.C.L.transferres Convalmore toScottish Malt Distillers. (S.M.D.) 1962 Direct heating of the stills from coal fire is abandoned for indirectheating by steam 1963 The number ofstillsis increased fromtwo to four 1985 Convalmoreis mothballed 1990United Distillers Ltdsells te buildings toWilliam Grant & Sonswhouses them for storing their own maltsGlenfiddichandBalvenie 2003 Diageolauches a 24 year oldConvalmorefrom1978as aRare Malt 2005 A 28 year oldConvalmoreis launched as aSpecial ReleasefromDiageo.
Convalmorewas established in1893and was the fourth distillery to be establishedin Dufftown. The distillery was extensively damaged by fire in1909.When it wasrebuilt it briefly experimented with acontinuous columnstill.
Convalmore fell silent in 1985
Nose: Light estery notes, with hints of vanilla and soft fruits
Palate:Spicy - pepper, sweet and mouth watering
Body: Light to medium
Finish: Well balanced
Speyside whiskiesare known as thePremier Cru of Single Malt Scotch
They are elegant, fruity malts which usually have drying smokiness
1909 After a fire is was decided to build also acolumn still, with a capacity of 2300 litresof wash per hour, but themalt whiskyproduced was of an unstable quality, thecolumnstillwas removed in1915.
Convalmorewas dormant duringWorld War II
The production capacity was doubled in1964 / 1965from2 to 4 stills and the stills wereconverted into indirect heating. Also at the same time 2 new Wash backs and a new boiler were added.
In1972a darkgrain plant,also serving the neighbouring distilleries was build, two bonded warehouseswere build and in1975a new mash house was built and a stainless steel Wash tun was installed, replacing the cast iron Wash tun.
Convalmore’slife was always dedicated to providing fillings for blends and as a result its whiskies were never given the platform which, it now transpires, they deserved. Like many distilleries of that period, its predominant character was waxy – though according to distillers who remember its new makeConvalmore’swas at the same high levels asClynelishwith an extra fruity heart. It is very rarely seen, the most notable being a couple of excellent tropical fruit-accentedSpecial ReleasesfromDiageo.
The fourth ofDufftown’sfamed seven stills,Convalmorewas built in1893/4as part of the lastVictoriangold rush. Its original owners failed and ownership passed to the leadingGlasgowbroker-blenderW.P. Lowrieand from there toJames Buchananwhen he boughtLowrie’sbusiness. By that timeBuchanan’sblends, the most famous of which at the time wasBlack & White,had global distribution and as a result, as other new builds closed,Convalmoreremained in production.
In1909, the distillery was damaged in a fire and when it reopened a year later it contained a pair ofpot stillsand a newcontinuous stillwhich had been engineered to produce malt whisky. Sadly, there are no descriptions or plans for this innovative design which only ran for five years.
WhenBuchanan’sjoinedDCL in 1925, as part of theGreat Mergerof the major blending houses with the production giant,Convalmorejoined itsScottish Malt Distillers [SMD]division. An expansion took place in1964with capacity doubled thanks to asecond pair of stillsbeing installed along with adark grains plant.
It was mothballed in1985and sold toWilliam Grant & Sons– the site is contiguous withGrant’s BalvenieandGlenfiddich distilleries. Although theConvalmorebuildings are still clearly visible from the road all the equipment has been removed.
Convalmoredistillery is built
The business is bought byW.P. Lowrie
Convalmoreis damaged in a fire
The distillery reopens with an added experimental still making grain whisky from 100% malt mash.
The experimental still is scrapped
Convalmore'sstills are increased to four
The distillery is closed and the site sold toWilliam Grant & Sons