INFO LAST BOTTLE AND EMPTY CLASSIC MALTS OF SCOTLAND CLASSIC MALTS SELECTION Bottled: 2005 Speyside Single Pot Still Malt Whisky Hand Crafted Glen Elgin Distillery, Elgin, Morayshire
32 years old
INFO SPECIAL RELEASES 2003 Fine Cask Strenght Single Malt Whiskies THE HIDDEN MALT Pot Still Malt Whisky Speyside Distilled 1971 Bottled 2003 Limited Edition 1500 hand finished special Decanters with wired stopper Genummerde Decanters Glen Elgin Distillery, Elgin, Morayshire
46 % 1988 THE ULTIMATE SINGLE MALT SCOTCH WHISKY SELECTION Distilled:22/11/88 Bottled 27/6/05 Matured in a sherry hogshead Cask no. 4314 Numbered Bottles Natural Colour Non Chillfiltered The Ultimate Whisky Company, N.L EMPTY
27 years old
47,5 % Distilled 1978 Bottled 2005 Cask 4512 Adelphi Distillery Limited Purveyors of rare malt whiskies aged in wood and bottled direct from the cask Glenborrodale Castle, Abnamurchan, Argyll
16 years old
46 % THE ULTIMATE SINGLE MALT SCOTCH WHISKY SELECTION Distilled: 22/11/88 Bottled: 27/6/05 Matured in a sherry hogshead Cask no: 4314 Numbered Bottles Natural Colour Non Chillfiltered The Ultimate Whisky Company,
17 years old
46 % THE ULTIMATE SINGLE MALT SCOTCH WHISKY SELECTION Distilled:222/11/88 Bottled 16/02/06 Matured in a sherry hogshead Cask no: 4316 Numbered Bottles Natural Colour Non Chillfiltered The Ultimate Whisky Company, N.L
Highland Malt Speyside GLEN ELGIN (1898
Longmorn, Elgin, Morayshire. Licentiehouder: White Horse Distillers Ltd. Onderdeel van Scottish Malt Distillers Ltd. (S.M.D.) De malt divisie van United Distillers Ltd. Eigendom van Guinness.
Glen Elgin was de laatste distilleerderij die werd gebouwd op het hoogtepunt van de whiskyhausse in 1898.
Charles Doig, de architekt voorzag dat het wel eens vijftig jaar zou kunnen duren voor dat er weer een nieuwe distilleerderij gebouwd zou worden, en dat kwam uit: de Tormore werd gebouwd als eerste nieuwe distilleerderij in 1958 !
Dë stichter van Glen Elgin waren William Simpson, eerder manager van Glenfarclas en James Carle, agent van de North of Scotland Bank.
Maar toen kwam 19 Januari 1899: de whisky hausse kwam met één klap tot stilstand met het frauduleus bankroet van de Pattison's. Simpson kwam al tijdens de bouw in financieele moeilijkheden en de distilleerderij werd op een veel kleiner schaal gebouwd, evenals als Glenrothes, dan bedoeld.
Er werd toen ook verteld dat geen van' de aannemers en ambachtsmensen volledig werd betaald, behalve de schoorsteenbouwers, daar die dreigden deze af te breken als niet werd betaald.
De produktie begon op 1 Mei 1900 met 3900 tot 5200 liter spirit per week, maar in November 1900 stond Glen Elgin te koop.Glen Elgin's bouw zou ongeveer £ 13.000 hebben gekost, en werd verkocht voor £ 4.000. In Mei 1902 wordt Simpson genoemd als manager van The Glen Elgin - Glenlivet Distillery Co, Ltd, ook wordt gemeld dat Glen Elgin voorlopig niet in bedrijf zou komen.
In 1906 werd Glen Elgin gekocht door J.J. Blanche & Co, Ltd, wijnhandelaar, whiskydistillateur, blender en expediteur te Glaögow, voor £ 7000. De woning voor de ambtenaar van accijnzen was niet bewoond tussen 1917 en 1930J.J. Blanche & Co, Ltd, verkocht Glen Elgin in 1930 aan Scottish Malt Distillers Ltd.
Van Mei 1941 tot November 1945 was Glen Elgin gesloten.
Het water om de machinerie aan te drijven kwam van de Glen Burn, dit duurde tot in 1963 toen Glen Elgin werd aangesloten op het electricteitsnet. Het proceswater komt van bronnen bij Millbuies Loch, het koelwater van de Glen Burn. In 1964 werd Glen Elgin totaal gerenoveerd en het aantal ketels werd uitgebreid met vier tot zes. Sinds 1970 worden de ketels met stoom verhit. De Mash tun is 8.2 ton. De zes Wash backs hebben elk een inhoud van 40.000 liter. De drie Wash stills hebben een inhoud van elk 8000 liter, de drie Spirit stills elk 7000 liter en worden met stoom verhit. De capaciteit is 1,90 miljoen liter spirit per jaar.
October 2005 De Classic Malts of Scotland serie, bestaande uit: Glenkinchie 10 years old, Dalwhinnie 15 years old, Cragganmore 12 years old, Oban 14 years old, Talisker 10 years old, Lagavulin 16 years old verandert van samenstelling Oban 14 year old wordt vervangen door Glen Elgin 12 years old, Lagavulin 16 years old wordt vervangen door Caol Ila 12 years old Dit komt omdat de betrokken distilleerderijen de produktie niet meer aankunnen.
CLASSIC MALT SELECTION tegelijkertijd wordt onder de naam Classic Malts Selection een 3- Bottle Plinth uitgebracht met: Glen Elgin 12 years old, Talisker 10 years old, Caol Ila 12 years old
Glen Elgin Speyside 12 years old FRUITY Natuur geuren 15 % Fruitigheid 60 % Turf 10 % Houttonen 15 % deze malt kenmerkt zich door zijn volle en zachte smaak met een explosie van vers geel fruit Talisker Skye 10 years old POWERFUL Natuur geuren Fruitigheid 30 % Turf 70 % Houttonen een aromatische, explosieve en prikkelende malt van Skye die uiteindelijk ook zoete tonen laat proeven CAOL ILA Islay 12 years old SMOKY Natuur geuren 50 % Fruitigheid Turf 50 % Houttonen een malt met een duidelijk karakter, krachtig compleet met zee-aroma's en de geur van hout-vuur.
Glen Elgin was one of the last distilleries to be built in the speculative boom of the 1890's. The feu charter was taken out in 1898 by William Simpson, of Rothes, a former manager of Glen-farclas Distillery, and James Carle, the local agent for the North of Scotland Bank. The bubble burst when Pattisons Ltd., a firm of Scotch whisky blenders in Leith, noted for their aggressive policies, went into liquidation on 19 January 1899, followed by the collapse of the market for malt whisky fillings. Simpson and many other distillers were soon in trouble. Shortage of capital probably accounted for the fact that Glen Elgin Distillery was built on a smaller scale than most of its predecessors, and at a slower rate. It was designed for six wash-backs,of which only four were installed. There is a local belief that when it was completed, none of the contractors or craftsmen had been paid in full except the steeplejacks, who earned their wages on an instalment basis and threatened to demolish the chimneystack unless they got their money. The design of Glen Elgin was well planned by Charles Doig, of Elgin, architect of many dis-tilleries. He told somebody at the time that it would be the last to be put up on Speyside for fifty years. The next distillery to be built was Tormore in 1958, so Doig's prediction was not far out. Production began on 1 May 1900, at a weekly rate of about 1,500 to 2,000 proof gallons (equivalent to 3,900 to 5,200 litres) and with the expectation of working for five periods before closing for the silent season. Presumably the five periods were worked, and no more, because by November 1900 the distillery was up for sale. The Elgin Courant reported on 26 February 1901 that the premises, built at a cost of over £0, had been sold by auction to an undisclosed bidder at the upset price of £0. In May 1902, when Simpson's name appears as the manager of The Glen Elgin-Glenlivet Distillery Co. Ltd., it was stated that there was no immediate probability of the distillery working again. The distillery was bought in 1906 for £0, and its stocks taken over (but not paid for until "disposed of"), by J. J. Blanche & Co. Ltd., wine growers and shippers, whisky distillers and blenders, of Glasgow. The house provided for the Customs & Excise officer was not occupied between 1917 and 1930. There was an under-officer at Glen Elgin Distillery when it was working. When not working, it came under the control of the officer at Coleburn Distillery. Blanche sold the distillery in 1930 to Scottish Malt Distillers Ltd., a subsidiary of The Distillers Company Limited. From May 1941 to November 1945 Glen Elgin was closed as a result of Government restrictions on the supply of barley to distillers.
Glen Elgin has a site of 11 acres (4 1/2 hectares), originally chosen partly for its proximity to Longmorn Station on the railway which then ran from Forres to Perth. The line runs along the boundary of the site, but no siding into the distillery was built. In the years between the end of the war and the closure of the line in 1967, supplies were delivered by railway lorry from Longmorn or Elgin stations. The most important advantage of the site was the availability of abundant water for power. This supply flows from streams on the slopes of the Glen of Rothes into the Glen Burn. It was used to drive a turbine until about 1963. This turbine, supplemented by a 30 h.p. paraffin engine, drove all the machinery until Glen Elgin was connected, in about 1950, to the electric grid. The Glen Burn continues to supply Glen Elgin's cooling water. Process water comes from springs in the area of Millbuies Loch. The withdrawal of statutory building controls allowed SMD to embark, from 1960 onwards, upon a long-term programme of rebuilding and re-equipping many of its distilleries. The opportunity was taken, in appropriate cases, to increase productive capacity to meet the increasing demand for DCL brands of blended whisky, especially in export markets. Ability to increase the output of aparticular distillery is governed by four factors: the adequacy of the water supply, the restrictions of the site, the means of disposing of effluent, and the paramount need to maintain the character of the "make". These conditions could be met at Glen Elgin, a small distillery that produced a Highland malt whisky of the first class. Accordingly the mash-house, tunroom and stillhouse were rebuilt and re-equipped in 1964, when the number of stills was increased from two to six. The four new stills were exact copies of their predecessors, because the general shape of the still is believed to influence the character of the whisky. Strict adherence to traditional methods of malt whisky production does not, of course, preclude the use of modern equipment to minimise the physical labour of moving raw materials or to cut fuel costs. Thus manual coal-firing was replaced by mechanical stokers in 1962 and by steam-heating from an oil-fired boiler in 1970. The distiller's licence is held by White Horse Distillers Ltd., of Glasgow, proprietors of White Horse and Logan blended Scotch whiskies. They bottle Glen Elgin as a single malt whisky.
October 2005 Diageo has announced that its 2005 Annual Rare Malts Selection will be the last. The collection will consist of four cask strenght single malts from closed distilleries; Glen Mhor 28 years old, Millburn 35 years old, Glendullan 26 years old and Linkwood 30 years old. Dr. Nicholas Morgan, global malts marketing director commented: 'As the Special Releases are now well established, it makes less sence to continue selecting and promoting a parallel series of Rare Malts with his own separate indentity'. In future, all premium and rare whiskies will be made available in the annual Special Releases series.
1977 The first official version 12 year old is launched 1992 The distillery closes for refurbishing and installation of new stills 1995 Production resumes in September 2001 A 12 year old is launched in the Flora & Fauna series 2002 The Flora & Fauna series malt is replaced by a Hidden Malt 12 years old 2003 A 32 year old cask strenght from 1971 is released in a limited edition of 1500 elegant carafes. Its alcohol content is only 42,3 % as it has been in the cask for such a long period. 2005 Kapaciteit: 1.800.000 liter spirit per jaar.
April 2013 Diageo has named Teaninich near Alness as the location for its plans to build a new 50 million pound new malt whisky distillery and will be adjacent the existing Teaninich distillery but will have its own name and indentity and will have the capacity to produce 13 million litres of spirit p[er annum from its 16 stills.
Diageo also invest 12 million pound in expanding the Teaninich distillery to almost doubless capacity.
The site will also feature a bio - energy plant.
The work will begin in 2014.
Diageo also will invest in Mortlach distillery in building a new still house and an other invest- ment will be at Glendullan distillery to process co products in an anaerobic digestion process, producing bio - gas which will be used to power the Glendullan distillery.
There are also expansion and upgrade developments for more then 40 million pound in Linkwood, Mannochmore, Glendullan, Dailuaine, Benrinnes, Inchgower, Cragganmore, Glen Elgin, Glen Ord and in a new bio - energie plants in Glenlossie and Dailuaine.
Also new warehouse are build at Cluny near Kirkcaldy.
And at Talisker a new visitor centre is build for a 1 million pound.
Little surprise perhaps that Glen Elgin has been a major contributor to blends, White Horse in particular (there was a legendary 12-year-old exclusive for Japan which heavily promoted the White Horse link on the label). It was a member of Diageo’s ‘Hidden Malts’ range which appeared, briefly, at the start of the Millennium before being dropped in favour of the higher-volume Singleton family. As a result, it remains a minor cult among malt aficionados and is revered by blenders.
Located in the strangely-named hamlet of Fogwatt, Glen Elgin’s early years were somewhat precarious. It started production in 1900 just as whisky was entering one of its periodic slumps and promptly was mothballed twice before being sold in 1906. It joined DCL in 1929 and was licensed to White Horse Distillers. Electricity only arrived at the distillery in 1950. Up until then it was operated by paraffin.
Glen Elgin is founded in Morayshire by bankers William Simpson and James Carle
The distillery begins production but is closed only five months later
The next year Glen Elgin is auctioned off to the Glen Elgin-Glenlivet Distillery Cofor £4,000
Wine producer JJ Blanche & Co buys the distillery and restarts production
Following the death of JJ Blanche the previous year, Glen Elgin is bought by Scottish Malt Distillers under license of White Horse
The distillery flourishes, and its stills are increased from two to six
Glen Elgin closes for three years to undergo further refurbishment and the installation of new stills
Glen Elgin 12 Year Old appears in the Flora and Fauna range