Go to content

Main menu:

Dailuaine

Whisky Collection Bar > D

DAILUAINE   16 years old 43%          INFO        
FLORA & FAUNA
Distilled 1976
Bottled 1992
Dailuaine Distillery, Carron,
Aberlour, Banffshire

DAILUAINE   22 years old 60,92 %          
RARE MALTS SELECTION
Natural Cask Strenght
Distilled 1973
Limited Edition
Genummerde flessen
Scottish Malt Distillers, Glasgow

DAILUAINE   13 years old 64,8 %           INFO     
Date Distilled Sep 78
Date Bottled Mar 92
Society Cask No. code 41.4
1000 liter bottled
The Scotch Malt Whisky Society,
The Vaults, Leith, Edinburgh

DAILUAINE   16 years old 55,2%          INFO
'Palo Cortado'
SINGLE CASK
SCOTCH MALT WHISKY
Distilled Nov 82
Bottled May 99
Society Cask No. code 41.18
477 bottles
The Scotch Malt Whisky Society,
The Vaults, Leith, Edinburgh
Palo Cortado

DAILUAINE    Aged 25 years 51,4 %          
SIGNATORY VINTAGE
CASK STRENGHT COLLECTION
Distilled on: 15/11/1979
Bottled on: 17.01.2005
Matured in a Sherry Butt
Cask No: 8958
509 Numbered Bottles
Natural Colour
Signatory Vintage
Scotch Whisky Co, Ltd, Edinburgh

DAILUAINE    16 years old 46 %              
THE ULTIMATE  SINGLE MALT   
SCOTCH WHISKY SELECTION
Single Speyside Malt
Distilled  17/04/89
Bottled 14/02/06
Matured  in a refill  sherry hogshead
Cask no:   2171
Numbered Bottles
Natural Colour
Non Chillfiltered
The Ultimate Whisky Company, N.L.

DAILUAINE       1989   18 years old 46 %
Single Speyside Malt
THE  ULTIMATE  SINGLE  MALT
SCOTCH  WHISKY  SELECTION
Distilled: 17/04/89
Matured in a refill Sherry hogshead
Cask no: 2173
Bottled; 09/08/07
Natural Colour
Non Chillfiltered
The Ultimate Whisky Company, NL
                                                                                                                                                                                                   DAILUAINE   Aged  12 years   58.1 %                                                                                                                                                     SIR  JAMES  DOUGLAS                                                                                                                                                                   DOUGLAS  OF  DRUMLANRIG                                                                                                                                                       SINGLE  MALT  SCOTCH  WHISK                                                                                                                                                           FROM  ONE  SINGLE  CASK                                                                                                                                                                                Region: Speyside                                                                                                                                                                    Distilled: September 1999                                                                                                                                                       Cask Reference - L D 7823                                                                                                                                                                   Cask Type: Sherry Butt                                                                                                                                                                    Filled 150 Bottles                                                                                                                                                                                             Un - Chill Filtered                                                                                                                                                                            At Natural Colour                                                                                                                                                                                   Special Bottled for The International Whisky Society                                                                                                                             Distilled and 100 % matured in Scotland by                                                                                                                                            Langside Distillers, Glasgow

DAILUAINE INFO
Aged 10 years  61.9 %                               
SINGLE  MALT  SCOTCH  WHISKY
FROM  A  SINGLE  CASK
Date Distilled: 14th  August 2003
Cask Type: First Fill Barrel / ex Bourbon
Society Single Cask Code: 41.59
Outturn: Only One of 233 Bottles
The Scotch Single Malt Whisky Society,
The Vaults, Leith, Edinburgh
Appetizing and tantalizing

DAILUAINE INFO
Aged  11  years  60.3 %                             
SINGLE  MALT  SCOTCH  WHISKY
FROM  A  SINGLE  CASK
Datr Distilled: 14th August 2003
Cask Type: First Fill Barrel ex Bourbon
Outturn: One of only 216 Bottles
Society Single Cask: Code:  41.66
The Scotch Malt Whisky Society,
The Vaults, Leith, Edinburgh.
Sweet citrus and attractive perfumes


DAILUAINE
18 years  46 %                                 
THE  ULTIMATE  SINGLE  MALT
SCOTCH  WHISKY
Speyside Single Malt
Distilled: 21/05/97
Matured in a Hogshead
Cask no; 7191
Bottled: 20/08/15
282 Numbered Bottles
Natural Colour
Non Chillfiltered
Selected by The Ultimate
Whisky Company. NL


DAILUAINE
Matured for 7 years 46 %                                      
THE  ULTIMATE  SINGLE  MALT
SCOTCH  WHISKY
Speyside Single Malt
Distilled: 20/06/08
Matured in a Bourbon Barrel
Cask no: 800013
Bottled: 16/11/15
301 Numbered Bottles
Natural Colour
Non Chillfiltration
Selected by The Ultimate Whisky Company.NL


DAILUAINE
VINTAGE  2 0 0 8
7 years old  46 %                                        
THE  ULTIMATE  SINGLE  MALT
SCOTCH  WHISKY
Speyside Single Malt
Distilled: 20/06/08
Bourbon Barrel
Cask no: 800014
Bottled: 16/11/15
304 Numbered Bottles
Natural Colour
Non Chillfiltered
The Ultimate Whisky Company.NL

Highland Malt
Speyside
DAILUAINE (1851

Carron, Morayshire. Licentiehouder: Dailuaine - Talisker Distilleries Ltd. Onderdeel van Scottish Malt Distillers Ltd. (S.M.D.). De malt divisie van United Distillers Ltd. Eigendom van Guinness.
Dailuaine betekent 'het groene dal' en is gesticht in 1851 door William Mackenzie, een boer te Carron en Rinnachat.
Aanvankelijk was het afzetgebied van zijn produkt de direkte omgeving, maar met het ge-reedkomen van de Strathspey spoorlijn in 1863, werd zijn markt vergroot.
William Mackenzie stierf in 1865, en zijn weduwe verhuurde Dailuaine aan James Fleming, een bankier te Aberlour.
Thomas Mackenzie, haar zoon werd partner in 1865, en de naam van de firma werd Mackenzie & Co.
In 1884 werd Dailuaine aanzienlijk uitgebreid en was nu één van de grootste distilleer-derijen in de Hooglanden met een kapaciteit van 160.000 gallons whisky per jaar.
In 1891 werd Mackenzie & Co omgevormd tot The Dailuaine - Glenlivet Distillery Ltd.
In 1898 was er een fusie met The Talisker Distillery Ltd en men ging samen verder met de naam Dailuaine - Talisker Distilleries Ltd, Directeur en manager werd Thomas Mackenzie die ook Imperial inbracht, die hij in 1897 te Carron had gebouwd. Het aandelenkapitaal was £ 580.000. De groep had ook nog een graandistilleerderij te Aberdeen.
Met het instorten van de whiskymarkt, ingeluid door het frauduleus bankroet van de Pattinson's in 1899, ging het Thomas Mackenzie, net als zoveel anderen in de whisky-industrie heel slecht. Bovendien werd North of Scotland, te Aberdeen in 1910 door brand verwoest.
Thomas Mackenzie stierf in Maart 1915, oud 66 jaar. Hij was weduwnaar en zonder kinderen.
Er werd een reddingspoging ondernomen door zijn belangrijkste afnemers: James Buchanan & Co, Ltd, John Dewar & Sons Ltd, The Distillers Company Ltd en John Walker & Sons Ltd, die in 1916 een controlerend belang in de onderneming namen.
Toen deze ondernemingen in 1925 samen gingen in een vergrotte The Distillers Company Ltd, werd Dailuaine - Talisker een dochtermaatschappij van de D.C.L.
In 1917 werd Dailuaine voor een groot deel door brand verwoest. Heropend in 1920 en ook uitgebreid. In 1924 had Dailuaine vier ketels.
In 1959 - 1960 werd er gemoderniseerd, waarbij ook de vloermouterij werd vervangen door een mouterij volgens het Saladin systeem, ook kwamen er twee ketels bij.
Er werd ook een veevoederfabriek bijgebouwd.
Het ketelhuis werd gemoderniseerd in 1965, waarbij men overging op met stoom verhitting.
Het water komt van de Bailliemullich Burn, het koelwater van de Carron Burn.
De Mash tun is 11,5 ton, de drie Wash stills zijn groot 20,500 liter elk, de Spirit stills zijn elk 18.7000 liter. De produktiecapaciteit is 2,75 liter spirit per jaar.
2005  Kapaciteit 3.200.000 liter spirit per jaar.

Dailuaine Distillery
Carron, by Aberlour, Banffshire
In 1851 William Mackenzie, farmer at Carron and Rinnachat, founded a distillery in a hollow by the Carron Burn and gave it the Gaelic name Dailuaine, "the green vale". Communications with the outer world were improved in 1863, when the Strathspey Railway reached Carron, on the other side of the Spey, and the present bridge was built over the river, which there abandons its leisurely course to surge rapidly seawards.
Mackenzie died in 1865. His widow, Jane, let the distillery for a term of years to James Fleming, banker, of Aberlour. Her son Thomas became a partner in 1879, trading as Mackenzie & Co. The lease was renounced and a feu charter was granted in 1884, when a major programme of investment began.
"Within the last few years", Alfred Barnard wrote in The WhiskyDistilleries of the United Kingdom, 1887, "nearly the whole of the Distillery has been rebuilt on a larger and more modern style, and the work now contains all the latest improvements in the art of distilling. The main buildings form a quadrangle, and there are three outer sections, all built of solid granite and of handsome elevation". Power was supplied by a horizontal steam engine of 10 h.p., supplemented by a water-wheel. There was one wash still, with two spirit stills of half its capacity. Dailuaine, with an annual output of 10 gallons, "sold principally in England and abroad", was already one of the largest Highland distilleries. Barnard was much impressed by the contrast between this "little world of industry" and its location "surrounded by all that is beautiful and lovely in nature".
The business of Mackenzie & Co. was converted into a limited liability company, The Dailuaine-Glenlivet Distillery Ltd., in 1891. This company amalgamated in 1898 with The Talisker Distillery Ltd., in which Mackenzie had a substantial interest, to form Dailuaine-Talisker Distilleries Ltd. Mackenzie was chairman and managing director. The company had a capital of £50, divided equally into cumulative 5% preference and ordinary shares, of £10 each. Besides Dailuaine and Talisker (on Skye), it owned Imperial Distillery, just built by Mackenzie at Carron Station, and a grain whisky distillery in Aberdeen. The merger took place at a peak of prosperity in the whisky business. Not long afterwards, a recession set in, and in 1910 the company traded at a loss. It suffered a series of misfortunes: heavily reduced demand, endless litigation, and the destruction of the Aberdeen distillery by fire.
Thomas Mackenzie, DL, JP, died at Dailuaine House in March 1915, aged 66. He was a widower and left no family. The executors of his trust put his large shareholding on the market, giving a consortium of major customers the chance to mount a rescue operation. James Buchanan & Co. Ltd., John Dewar & Sons Ltd., The Distillers Company Limited and John Walker and Sons Ltd. consequently obtained a controlling interest in 1916. All of these companies merged in 1925 to form an enlarged Distillers Company, of which Dailuaine-Talisker is a subsidiary.

Dailuaine was severely damaged by fire in 1917 and re-opened, after substantial rebuilding, in 1920. By 1924, there were four stills, and electric lighting had been introduced.
The electric grid reached the Carron area about 1938, but was not introduced into Dailuaine until 1950. Until then, electric light had been supplied by a d.c. generator driven by a small triple-expansion engine. The conversion from steam to electric power was gradual. A second steam engine was used in the stillhouse until 1950/51, to pump low wines, feints and spirits. The third engine, a large Tangye, was the main source of power; it drove the malt mill and dresser, with all the associated elevators and screws, and was used as required to turn the mash tun, stirrers or draff pump, until 1960. A fourth steam engine drove the tun-room switchers until 1961.
An alternative source of power for the makings was provided by two water wheels which allowed the barley elevators, dresser and band, with the malt elevators, screws and kiln turner, to be used independently. These water wheels worked in tandem; one was sited next to the main engine - to which it could be connected during a drought or other emergency - and the other was about 200 metres away, by the burn. They were coupled by means of a continuous wire rope supported on overhead pulleys - an arrangement worthy of illustration by Heath Robinson.
A major reconstruction took place in 1959-60, when the floor makings were converted into a Saladin box system, the number ofpot stills was increased from four to six, and hand-firing of furnaces was replaced by a mechanical coal-stoking system. A plant was also built to convert the solid residues left over from the mashing and distilling processes into a high-protein animal feedingstuff. The stillhouse was modernised in 1965, when external heating of the stills was replaced by internal heating by steam from a coal-fired boiler, converted to oil five years later.
The drawing at the head of this leaflet depicts the distillery as it looked before the major re-construction of 1959-60.
For more than a hundred years, all supplies for Dailuaine - barley, coal, empty casks - and outgoing consignments of whisky, were despatched by rail. Barnard noted in 1887 that the distillery office was connected by telephone to Carron Station, and that a tramline was about to be laid down; but it took twenty years before Dailuaine, Imperial, and Carron Warehouses were linked by sidings to the railhead. An 0-4-0 saddle-tank locomotive, made by Barclay of Kilmarnock in 1897, worked the line until 1939, when it was replaced by another Barclay engine, Dailuaine No. 1. Twenty years later, a retired BR engine driver described No. 1 as "truly a joy to behold", with well-cleaned paintwork and polished brass and copper. This much-loved distillery "pug" worked a five-day week, shunting rakes of three or four waggons, until the company ceased to use the condemned Strathspey Railway in 1967.
Dailuaine Distillery covers a site of 30 acres (12 hectares). Its process water comes from the Bailliemullich Burn, cooling water from the Carron Burn and steeping water for the malting from the Burn of Derrybeg. All of these streams are fed by springs on Ben Rinnes.

Dailuaine-Talisker Distilleries Ltd. owns 28 houses for occupation by employees, as well as Carron Mains, a farm of about 100 acres (40.5 hectares) originally leased by the Mackenzie family, and now managed by Scottish Malt Distillers Ltd. The main products are beef cattle and grain.

Diageo has announced that its 2005 Annual Rare Malts Selection will be the last.
The collection will consist of four cask strenght single malts from closed distilleries; Glen Mhor 28 years old, Millburn 35 years old, Glendullan 26 years old and Linkwood 30 years old.
Dr. Nicholas Morgan, global malts marketing director commented: 'As the Special Releases are now well established, it makes less sence to continue selecting and promoting a parallel series of Rare Malts with his own separate indentity'.
In future, all premium and rare whiskies will be made available in the annual Special Releases series.

28 June 2011

Diageo has plans for a 10 million pounds to redevelop his Dailuaine distillery
to help increase the whisky production.

Theplans would see an upgrade of the existing bio - plant at Dailuaine distillery
which deals  with whisky by - products from a number of distilleries from the group
opening the potential for future production capacity increases in Speyside.

It is also possible that the investments could rise to about 20 million pounds to in-
crease capacity at other distilleries by more than 10 million litres per annum.

Douglas of Drumlanrig Single Malt Scotch Whisky.

Distilled those many days ago, our selected Malt has matured in a cold dark, Scottish warehouse until recent sampling has ensured its specific selection.

The independent and family owned company Langside Distillers have worked closely
with The Duke of Buccleuch and Queensberry on his ever - increasing range of preve-
red cask bottling - all endorsed by his signature on this box.

Drumlanrig Castle is where The Duke maintains a 700 year Douglas Family Link with its
symbolic winged heart crest commemorating The Courage of Sir James Douglas "The Good "
killed in action conveying The heart of King Robert The Bruce on a crusade to  The Holy
Land.

Within the Castle History abounds in every room. Distinquished visitors from Mary Queen of Scots to the first "Moon Astronaut"  Neil Amstrong, were all warmly welcomed, but for
One - Bonnie Prince Charlie, retreating in hiss ill - fated 1745 Rebellion invaded the castle
with 2000 followers two days before Christmas. They killed 40 sheep, ransacked the wine
cellars and  bayonets through a painting of King William IV. So much for the famous "45
Rebellion"!

DOUGLAS  OF  DRUMLANRIG  SINGLE  MALT  SCOTCH  WHISKY

That rebellion came to a notorious end at The Battle of Culloden a year later in 1746.

To all Scotsmen around the world we therefore apologist for choosing to bottle this
fine Malt at 46 % alc vol ( occasionally by demand at cask Strenght ) - being our
preffered strength for a traditionally unchill filtered Scotch Malt  of Quality.

It is perhaps a little stronger than you me used to buy it allows its regular drinker to note precisely how much ( if any) water is preferred - though our own preference, to drink
is at 46 %.

Whichever way you consumes this old Malt - enjoy it unhurriedly as it has waited all
those many years for you.

"One second in your mouth for every year in wood "as we like to say and you will enjoy it in the best of spirits

DIAGEO

April 2013

Diageo has named Teaninich near Alness as the location for its plans to build a new 50 million pound new malt whisky distillery and will be adjacent the existing Teaninich distillery
but will have its own name and indentity and will have the capacity to produce 13 million
litres of spirit p[er annum from its 16 stills.

Diageo also invest 12 million pound in expanding the Teaninich distillery to almost doubless capacity.

The site will also feature a bio - energy plant.

The work will begin in 2014.

Diageo also will invest in Mortlach distillery  in building a new still house and an other invest-
ment will be at Glendullan distillery to process co products in an anaerobic digestion process, producing bio - gas which will be used to power the Glendullan distillery.

There are also expansion and upgrade developments for more then 40 million pound in
Linkwood, Mannochmore, Glendullan, Dailuaine, Benrinnes, Inchgower, Cragganmore,
Glen Elgin, Glen Ord and in a new bio - energie plants in Glenlossie and Dailuaine.

Also new warehouse are build at Cluny near Kirkcaldy.

And at Talisker  a new visitor centre is build for a 1 million pound.
DIAGEO

April 2013

Diageo has named Teaninich near Alness as the location for its plans to build a new 50 million pound new malt whisky distillery and will be adjacent the existing Teaninich distillery
but will have its own name and indentity and will have the capacity to produce 13 million
litres of spirit p[er annum from its 16 stills.

Diageo also invest 12 million pound in expanding the Teaninich distillery to almost doubless capacity.

The site will also feature a bio - energy plant.

The work will begin in 2014.

Diageo also will invest in Mortlach distillery  in building a new still house and an other invest-
ment will be at Glendullan distillery to process co products in an anaerobic digestion process, producing bio - gas which will be used to power the Glendullan distillery.

There are also expansion and upgrade developments for more then 40 million pound in
Linkwood, Mannochmore, Glendullan, Dailuaine, Benrinnes, Inchgower, Cragganmore,
Glen Elgin, Glen Ord and in a new bio - energie plants in Glenlossie and Dailuaine.

Also new warehouse are build at Cluny near Kirkcaldy.

And at Talisker  a new visitor centre is build for a 1 million pound.

DIAGEO

April 2013

Diageo has named Teaninich near Alness as the location for its plans to build a new 50 million pound new malt whisky distillery and will be adjacent the existing Teaninich distillery
but will have its own name and indentity and will have the capacity to produce 13 million
litres of spirit p[er annum from its 16 stills.

Diageo also invest 12 million pound in expanding the Teaninich distillery to almost doubless capacity.

The site will also feature a bio - energy plant.

The work will begin in 2014.

Diageo also will invest in Mortlach distillery  in building a new still house and an other invest-
ment will be at Glendullan distillery to process co products in an anaerobic digestion process, producing bio - gas which will be used to power the Glendullan distillery.

There are also expansion and upgrade developments for more then 40 million pound in
Linkwood, Mannochmore, Glendullan, Dailuaine, Benrinnes, Inchgower, Cragganmore,
Glen Elgin, Glen Ord and in a new bio - energie plants in Glenlossie and Dailuaine.

Also new warehouse are build at Cluny near Kirkcaldy.

And at Talisker  a new visitor centre is build for a 1 million pound.

We, the Tasting Panel, verify that the Scotch Malt Whisky inside this bottle has been
passed under some of the most scrupulous noses in the world and approved for re-
lease as a Society bottling.

Only single cask whiskies that promise to intrigue, entertain and delight our members
are selected, true to our motto: "TO  LEAVE  NO  NOSE UPTURNED "

Back to content | Back to main menu