12 years old
43 % INFO
FLORA & FAUNA
Dufftown, Keith, Banffshire
14 years old
Distilled Jan 78
Bottled May 92
Society Cask No. code 84
The Scotch Single Malt Whisky Society,
The Vaults Leith, Edinburgh
11 years old
THE VINTAGE CHOICE
The Vintage Malt Whisky Co, Ltd,
8 years old
LAST BOTTLE AND EMPTY
Glendullan Distillery, Dufftown,
22 years old
62,6 % INFO
RARE MALTS SELECTION
Natural Cask Strenght
McDonald Greenlees & Co, Edinburgh
23 years old
RARE MALTS SELECTION
Natural Cask Strenght
Bottled May 1998
McDonald Greenlees & Co, Edinburgh
Aged 36 years
55,1 % INFO
THE OLD & RARE
Single Cask Single Malt Scotch Whisky
Bottled at Natural Cask Strenght
Un - Chillfiltered
Offered with Pride
Douglas Laing & Co, Ltd, Glasgow
26 years old
56,6 % INFO
RARE MALTS SELECTION
NATURAL CASK STRENGHT
Bottled April 2005
6000 Numbered Bottles
Scottish Malt Distillers, Elgin
15 years old
Single Speyside Malt
THE ULTIMATE SINGLE MALT
SCOTCH WHISKY SELECTION
Matured in a hogshead
Cask no. 4061
The Ultimate Whisky Company, NL
GLENDULLAN Glendullan 1 (1898 - 1985)
Glendullan 2 (1972
Dufftown, Banffshire. Licentiehouder: Macdonald & Greenlees Ltd, Edinburgh. Glendullan maakte deel uit van Scottish Malt Distillers Ltd. (S.M.D.). De malt divisie van United Distillers Ltd. Eigendom van Guinness.
Glendullan gebouwd in 1897, was de laatste van de oorspronkelijke zeven distilleerderijen van Dufftown in de 19e eeuw.Een gezegde in Dufftown: 'Rome was build on seven hills, Dufftown stands on seven stills'.
De bouwkosten bedroegen £ 20.000, de eerste gerst werd aangeleverd op 28 Januari 1898 en het distilleren begon op 25 April 1898.
Glendullan kon 681.913 liter spirit per jaar produceren. De naam komt van de rivier Dullan.
Het water voor het aandrijven van de machinerie kwam via een pijpleiding van de Fiddich en Glendullan deelde een zijlijn met Mortlach van de Great North of Scotland Railway.
De eerste eigenaars waren William Williams & Sons Ltd te Aberdeen. Glendullan vormde de basis voor hun blends Strathdon en Three Star.
In 1919 fuseerden William Williams & Sons Ltd met Greenlees Brothers Ltd, te Glasgow en Londen, die al samenwerkten met Alexander & Macdonald Ltd, te Leith.
The Greenlees Brothers waren in 1871 gestart als blenders en brachten de Old Parr blend uit die heel bekend werd.James en Samuel Greenlees verloren beiden hun zoon in de eerste wereldoorlog in de Franse loopgraven.
De broers zochten naar een opvolger en benaderden Sir James Calder, en die nam hun bedrijf over.
Alexander & Macdonald Ltd was toen al het eigendom van Sir James Calder. De groep werd hervormd tot Macdonald Greenlees & Williams (Distillers) Ltd onder de leiding van Sir James Calder.
Auchenblae (1897 - 1916) werd gekocht en in dezelfde tijd ook Stronachie (1897 - 1930) Sir James Calder was ook de eigenaar van Bo'ness graandistilleerderij en nam na de eerste wereldoorlog Dalwhinnie over.
Sir James Calder is één van de grote namen in de Schotse whisky geschiedenis. Maar ook hij ging tenonder in de heel slechte jaren na 1899.
In 1926 nam The Distillers Company Ltd de aandelen over, liquideerde de onderneming en stichtten een nieuwe onderneming met de naam Macdonald Greenlees Ltd.
Auchenblae en Stronachie werden gesloten in 1926 en 1928.
Tot de groep bedrijven behoorden ook R.H. Thomson & Company Ltd en James Munro & Son Ltd, ook die kwamen onder de parapluie van de D.C.L.
Glendullan was gesloten van 1940 - 1947. Glendullan werd gemoderniseerd in 1962 en had toen twee ketels. In 1971 - 1972 werd een nieuwe distilleerderij gebouwd naast Glendullan.
De afstand tussen de twee distilleerderijen wordt omschreven als 'short when the weather's good and long when it is' t'.
De nieuwe distilleerderij heeft zes ketels die zijn gemaakt in dezelfde stijl als die van Carigellachie, Ord, Clynelish, Teaninich en Caol Ila.
De twee distilleerderijen werken in tandem, met elk hun eigen mash tun en washbacks. De whiskies werden gemengd tot in 1985 toen de oude distilleerderij werd gesloten.
Guinness nam Arthur Bell & Sons Ltd over in 1986 en in 1987 The Distillers Company Ltd, beiden tegen hun zin.In 1988 werden beide groepen van bedrijven samengevoegd tot United Distillers Ltd.
Op 12 Mei 1997 staakt de Fransman Bernard Arnault van L M V H zijn verzet tegen de fusie van Guinness en Grand Metropolitan (GrandMet) voor een afkoopsom van ƒ 800.000.000.
De nieuwe naam van de gefuseerden zou eerst G M G Brands worden maar op 22 October 1997 werd bekend dat de nieuwe naam Diageo zou zijn, afgeleid van het Latijnse woord voor dag en het Griekse woord voor wereld.
Diageo wordt het grootste drankenconcern ter wereld, groter dan Seagram en Allied Domecq samen en met een omzet van 40 miljard gulden.
Op 28 Maart 1998 verkoopt Diageo het whiskymerk Dewar en het ginmerk Bomaby voor £ 1,15 miljard aan Bacardi Martini.
Het afstoten van de twee merken was een voorwaarde die door de Amerikaanse mededingings autoriteiten was gesteld aan de goedkeuring van de fusie tussen Guinness en GrandMet.
Dewar heeft een omzet van ruim één miljard gulden en een marktaandeel van 10 %, en is marktleider in de V.S.
Diageo is de overkoepelende naam voor United Distillers & Vintners, Pïlsbury, Guinness en Burger King.
Onderdeel van de verkoop houdt ook in de overname van de distilleerderijen Aberfeldy, Aultmore, Craigellachie en Royal Brackla door Bacardi Martini.
Balmenach wordt in December 1997 verkocht aan Inver House.
Het water komt van de rivier de Fiddich en van de Convall heuvels.
De Mash tun is 12 ton.
De acht Wash backs hebben elk een inhoud van 65000 liter.
De drie Wash stills zijn elk 33.700 liter groot, de drie Spirit stills elk 23.800 liter,
Ze worden met stoom verhit.
De produktiecapaciteit is 1,7 miljoen liter spirit per jaar.
Glendullan, built in 1897, was the last of the seven distilleries established in Dufftown in the 19th century and the occasion of the saying, current in Banffshire if not in Italy: "Rome was built on seven hills and Dufftown stands on seven stills". It was situated, in the words of a description published in Harper's Weekly, "in a beautiful valley hemmed ... in by high hills wooded to the summit, while the effect is greatly enhanced by the Fiddich, which flows gently past the front of the distillery".
The location was chosen, not for its beauty, but for its practical convenience. Water was piped from the Fiddich about half a mile upstream to an overshot water-wheel 14 feet (4.3 metres) in diameter by 4 1/2 feet (1.4 metres) wide, of 16 horse power, which drove all the machinery. "This water power will be a great saving", Harper's opined, "compared with some distilleries which have to use steam engines". Glendullan was able to share, withthe neighbouring Mortlach Distillery, the use of a private railway siding from the Great North of Scotland Railway. This siding, built in 1897, did away with the expense and inconvenience of transporting outgoing consignments of whisky, and incoming supplies of barley, empty casks and coal, to and from Dufftown Station by horse and cart. With the loss of the railway link in 1968, all traffic has reverted to the road.
The distillery was designed to produce 10 gallons (681,913 litres) per annum. Its total cost was estimated to be £0 and it is clear that no money was spared in its construction or equipment. Harper's reported that "a first-class suite of offices has been erected apart from the distillery, with most elaborate fittings and modern sanitary arrangements. The manager's and (excise) officer's houses are excellently equipped, and altogether the distillery is one of the most compact and convenient in the district". Most of the original vessels were still in use during the 1930's.
The first consignment of barley was received on 28 January 1898; the first steep was wet exactly one month later; distillation began on 25 April and the resulting whisky was bonded in the distillery's duty-free warehouse on 30 April.
The original owners of Glendullan were William Williams & Sons Ltd., of Aberdeen. The make formed the basic constituent of their blended whiskies, Strathdon and Three Star, which were then well-known. The company amalgamated in 1919 with Green-lees Brothers Ltd. of London and Glasgow, which had already merged its interests with Alexander & Macdonald Ltd., of Leith, although both firms continued to trade under their respective names. The group was re-formed as Macdonald Greenlees & Williams (Distillers) Ltd. under the control of Sir James Calder. The Distillers Company Limited acquired the company's assets in 1926, put it into liquidation and registered a new company under the name of Macdonald Greenlees Ltd. Glendullan Distillery was transferred to Scottish Malt Distillers Ltd. in 1930.
The distillery was closed from 1940 to 1947 as the result of wartime restrictions on the supply of barley for malt whisky production. When it reopened, water power was still used for mashing and for grinding malt, with an electric motor and a steam engine available for standby purposes. Since the distillery has been connected to the national electric grid, the water that drove the wheel has been used for cooling and fire prevention.
From 1960 onwards, the withdrawal of statutory building controls enabled SMD to embark on a long-term programme of modernising its distilleries. Glendullan's mash house, tunroom and stillhouse were equipped with new plant in 1962, when the two stills, previously heated from a coal-burning furnace, were converted to internal heating by steam. The height of the mash house had to be raised to accommodate the new plant.
In the next decade, DCL needed additional malt whisky capacity to meet the increasing export sales of companies in the Group. The size of the site at Glendullan (11 acres or 4.5 hectares), together with the ample supply of water from the Fiddich, provided the necessary conditions for expanding output. An additional distillery, with six stills internally heated by steam, and an annual capacity of a million proof gallons (4,546,090 litres) was built in 1971-72 on the field between "Old Glendullan" and the houses provided for employees. The distance between the twounits has been defined as "a short one when the weather's good and a long one when it isn't". The two units share the same water supply, use the same techniques and produce identical makes.
The licensed distillers are Macdonald Greenlees Ltd. of Edinburgh. They specialise in the exportation of blended Scotch whiskies. Their most notable brand is Old Parr de Luxe. They bottle and sell Glendullan malt whisky.
Diageo has announced that its 2005 Annual Rare Malts Selection will be the last.
The collection will consist of four cask strenght single malts from closed distilleries; Glen Mhor 28 years old, Millburn 35 years old, Glendullan 26 years old and Linkwood 30 years old.
Dr. Nicholas Morgan, global malts marketing director commented: 'As the Special Releases are now well established, it makes less sence to continue selecting and promoting a parallel series of Rare Malts with his own separate indentity'.
In future, all premium and rare whiskies will be made available in the annual Special Re-leases series.
THE RARE MALTS SELECTION
The Rare Malts Selection, now drawing to a close after ten years, has always been made from remarkable cask-strenght single malt Scotch whiskies; among the rarest, most precious stocks to survive in Scotland.
Looked after undisturbed by careful hands since birth, each has been nurtured to perfection, then selected on merit by a distinguished panel of experts.
Often twenty or more years of age, many Rare Malts have been so rare that they will never be seen again.
Connoisseurs have appreciated their full rich colour and enjoyed their true depth of flavour, thanks to unfiltered cask-strenght bottling.
Nosing them has been an act of reverence to enjoy in itself. When tasting, it has always been advised that the correct dilution for a cask-strenght Rare Malt should be two parts water to one of whisky.
Each individually numbered bottle has revealed a most intriguing character, its individuality emphasised by a quirk peculiar to natural cask strenght bottlings.
So small has been each bottling run that every Rare Malt, drawn from casks, which naturally differ, has had its own unique strenght.
The Rare Malts Selection: each unique to taste, give, collect and now, to remember with affection.
THE LAST RARE MALTS SELECTION
The Rare Malts have always been, by definition, rare. They have never been on widespread sale. Available only in selected outlets, each has been released as a strictly limited edition of individually numbered bottles.
As with fine vintage wine, the supply of Rare Malts has been restricted by availability.
Once each was exhausted, its place in the Selection was taken by an equally rare bottling of a similarly fine old single malt.
And now, the stocks from which the Rare Malts were drawn are almost exhausted, the very last selection has been made.
It is limited to no more than 6000 bottles of each make, and is additionally distinguished by coming in part from closed distilleries.
The last of the last. Truly, these are The Rare Malts.
Water Source:Spring water from Goat's Well
Malt Source:Burghead Maltings
Malt Storage:350 Tonnes
Mill Type:Porteus 4 roller
Grist Storage:24 Tonnes
Mash Tun Construction:Cast Iron - Full Lauter
Mash Size:12 Tonnes
No. of Wash Backs:8
Wash Back Construction:Wooden Douglas Fir
Wash back Capacity:88000 Litres Maximum
No. of Wash Stills:3
Wash Still Charge:14.100 Litres
Heat Source:Steam Pans
Wash Still Shape:Plain / Onion
No. of Spirit Still:3
Spirit Still Charge:16000 Litres
Spirit Still Shape:Palin Onion
Output:3.7 million litres of alcohol
Cask Storage Capacity:3735
Glendullan Distillery is located in the town of Dufftown and situated on the banks of the
Rivers Fiddich and Dullan at the foot of the Conval Hills
Glendullan was built to produce 150.000 gallons of whisky a year, with the first consig-
ment of barley received on 28 january 1898.
Distillation began on 25 April, with the first whisky being bonded in the distillery's
warehouse on the 30 April
Although the whisky market collapsed the same year that distillation started at Glen-
dullan, the owners manged to remain un business
The first owners William Williams and Son, amalgamated in 1919 with Greenlees
brothers Ltd, which had already merged with Alexander Macdonald Ltd, and the
group later became Macdonald and Greenlees Ltd, now part of United Distillers from
Glendullan closed for seven years from 1940 - 1947 due to restructions on barley sup-
plies during the Second World War
When Glendullan reopened, water power was still being used for mashing and for grin-
ding malt, but soon afterwards, the distillery was connected to the national electricity
grid and the water of the River Fiddich no longer provided power
Glendullan's mash house, tunroom and still house were equipped with new plant in 1962
And an additional distillery with six stills and an annual capacity of one million gallons
was built in 1970 - 1972, on the field between the old distillery and the employees'
houses. The new still house was built in the fashion of the 1970s
The old and new distilleries worked in tandem unti 1985, sharing the same water supply,
using the same techniques and producing indentical spirit. The old unit was eventually
converted into an engineering workshop
A grand 14 feet waterwheel that supplied 16 horsepower to drive the machinery powered
he original distillery. Another advantage of the site was that Glendullan Distillery was
able to share, with neighbouring Mortlach Distillery, the use of a private railway siding
from the Great North of Scotland Railway
The pagoda roof of the original distillery sits above what is now the engineering work-
The red Porteus mill produces just over 24 tonnes of grist, which is stored in two grist
Bins, before being transferred into the cast iron mashtun, which produces 12 tonnes
Using Mauri yeast, the worts are left to ferment in the wooden washbacks, made from
Three large steam - heated wash stills stand aside three steam - heated spirit stills.
The original stillhouse at Glendullan had just one pair of stills;n the second unit has
three. The water for the distillery is drawn from the springs in the Conval Hills.
The spirit stills are unusually larger vthan the wash stills, due to the fact that two wash
stills are run into one sprit still, thus increasing the distilleries energy effiency
The wooden worm - tubs were used to convert the vapour to spirit in the original dis-
tillery . The new distillery now uses condensers.
The spirit has a green, grassy character
Glendullan was a whisky favoured by King Edward VII. It also received attention in
1992 when Betty Bootryd, first female speaker of the House of Commons, selected
Glendullan as the Speakers's whisky
The Glendullan is an essential contributor to the blends of Old Parr.
Independent bottlings of Glendullan Single Malt Whisky are extremely rare
Diageo has named Teaninich near Alness as the location for its plans to build a new 50 million pound new malt whisky distillery and will be adjacent the existing Teaninich distillery
but will have its own name and indentity and will have the capacity to produce 13 million
litres of spirit p[er annum from its 16 stills.
Diageo also invest 12 million pound in expanding the Teaninich distillery to almost doubless capacity.
The site will also feature a bio - energy plant.
The work will begin in 2014.
Diageo also will invest in Mortlach distillery in building a new still house and an other invest-
ment will be at Glendullan distillery to process co products in an anaerobic digestion process, producing bio - gas which will be used to power the Glendullan distillery.
There are also expansion and upgrade developments for more then 40 million pound in
Linkwood, Mannochmore, Glendullan, Dailuaine, Benrinnes, Inchgower, Cragganmore,
Glen Elgin, Glen Ord and in a new bio - energie plants in Glenlossie and Dailuaine.
Also new warehouse are build at Cluny near Kirkcaldy.
And at Talisker a new visitor centre is build for a 1 million pound.
2007 Singleton of Glendullan is launched in the U.S.A.
2013 Singleton Liberty and Trinity are launched
A Singleton Special Releases 38 year old 59.8 % is released.