Go to content

Main menu:

Teaninich

Whisky Collection Bar > T

TEANINICH   14 years old 40 %            
CONNOISSEURS CHOICE
Distilled 1975
Bottled 1989
R.H. Thomson & Co (Distillers) Ltd
Gordon & Macphail, Elgin

TEANINICH   10 years old 43%      INFO      
FLORA & FAUNA
Distilled 1980
Bottled 1992
Teaninich Distillery, Alness, Rossshire

TEANINCH   23 years old 57,1 %       INFO    
RARE MALTS SELECTION
Natural Cask Strenght
Distilled 1973
Bottles April 1997
Limited Edition
Genummerde flessen
R.H. Thomson & Co, Edinburgh

TEANINICH   27 years old 64.20 %    INFO           
RARE MALTS SELECTION
Natural Cask Strenght
Distilled 1972
Bottled October 2000
Limited Edition
Genummerde flessen
R.H. Thomson & Co, Edinburgh

TEANINICH   13 years old 46 %           INFO
CONNOISSEURS CHOICE
Distillation Date: December 1991
Bottling Date: December 2004
Cask Type: Refill Sherry Butt
R.H. Thomson (Distillers) Ltd
Gordon & Macphail, Elgin

TEANINICH    20 years old 43 %                 
1984
THE ULTIMATE SINGLE MALT
SCOTCH WHISKY SELECTION
Distilled  17/5/84
Bottled 3/3/05
Matured in a Refill Butt
Cask no. 03/88
Numbered Bottles
The Ultimate Whisky Company,   N.L

TEANINICH   22 years old 59,4 %           
SIGNATORY   VINTAGE
CASK   STRENGHT   COLLECTION
Highland Single Malt Scotch Whisky
Distilled on:   07/12/1983
Matured  in a Refill Butt
Cask No:   8072
Bottled on: 29/03/2006
Numbered Bottles
466 Bottles
Natural Colour
Signatory Vintage
Scotch Whisky Co, Ltd, Edinburgh

TEANINICH Aged  16 years  59.7 %   INFO
SINGLE  MALT  SCOTCH  WHISKY
FROM  A  SINGLE  CASK
Distilled: February 1993
Cask Type: Refill Hogshead / ex Bourbon
1 of only 255 bottles
Society Single Cask: 59.39
The Scotch Malt Whisky Society,
The Vaults, Leith, Edinburgh
Gateway to Narnia

TEANINICH  46 % INFO                    
2 0 0 4  Distilled
CONNOISSEURS  CHOICE
From Teaninich Distillery
Single Highland Malt Scotch Whisky
Bottled 2013
Natural Colour
Non Chill Filtered
Specially selected, produced
and bottled by Gordon & Macphail,
Elgin.


TEANINICH INFO
Aged 29 years 52.4 %                           
SINGLE  MALT  SCOTCH
WHISKY  FROM  A  SINGLE  CASK
30th ANNIVERSARY  CASK
1 9 8 3  -  2 0 1 3
STILL  ONE  OF  A  KIND
1 9 8 3 - 3 0 - 2 0 1 3
Date distilled 8th Nov 1983
Cask type Refill Hogshead / ex Bourbon
Society Single Cask no: 59.46
Outturn: One of only 194 Bottles
The Scotch Malt Whisky Society,
The Vaults, Leith, Edinburgh
Jellybean Dream
                                                                        

TEANINICH INFO
Aged  31  years  51.6 %                          
SINGLE  MALT  SCOTCH  WHISKY
FROM  A  SINGLE  CASK
Date Distilled: 8th  November 1983
Cask  Type: Refill Hogshead / ex Bourbon
Outturn: One of Only 202 Bottles
Society Single Cask: CODE: 5 9. 5 3
The Scotch Malt Whisky Society,
The Vaults, Leith, Edinburgh
Mad Hatter's tea party


1Highland Malt
The Northern Highlands
TEANINICH
(1817 - 1984 = B side mothballed (1970 A side is built -  1985 mothballed)
(1991 - A side in production again
(1999 B side ontmanteld


Alness, Ross-shire. Licentiehouder: R.H. Thomson & Co, Ltd. Teaninich maakt deel uit van Scottish Malt Distillers Ltd. De malt divisie van United Distillers Ltd. Eigendom van Guinness.
Gesticht in 1817 op verzoek van de lokale overheid, die het illegaal distilleren wilden laten ophouden en landeigenaren verzochten distilleerderijen te stichten om voor de boeren afzet voor hun geoogste gerst te garanderen.
Captain Hugh Munro, eigenaar van het landgoed Teaninich begon een distilleerderij en had het aanvankelijk heel zwaar door de concurentie van de illgale distilleerderijen, drie van vier legale distilleerderijen moesten sluiten.
Pas na het van kracht-worden van de 'Excise Act' in 1823, waarbij de accijnzen aan merkelijk werden verlaagd, trad er een grote verbetering in.
In 1830 was de produktie dertig tot veertig maal hoger dan de jaren daarvoor.
In 1845 was Lieutenant General John Munro de eigenaar van Teaninich, een heel sociaal mens die de armen in zijn gebied dagelijks bezocht, van eten en medicijnen voorzag en zorgde dat er brandstof genoeg was om de winter warm door te komen.
Lieutenant General Munro diende vele jaren in India en verleende een licentie aan Robert Pattison in 1850.
In 1869 was John McGilchrist Ross de licentiehouder. Ross gaf zijn licentie op in 1895.
Hij werd opgevolgd door Munro & Cameron. John Munro was een drankhandelaar en Robert Innes Cameron een whiskymakelaar.
De familie Munro droeg het kapitaal en de aandelen in 1898 over aan Munro & Cameron. In 1899 werd Teaninich voor een bedrag van E 10.000 gemoderniseerd en uitgebreid. In 1904 werd Innes Cameron de alleen eigenaar.
Innes Cameron was een invloedrijk man toen, met belangen in Benrinnes, Linkwood en Tamdhu, ook was hij directeur van de Malt Distillers Association.
Innes Cameron stierf, oud 72 jaar, in 1932 en zijn erfgenamen verkochten Teaninich in 1933 aan Scottish Malt Distillers Ltd.
Teaninich was gesloten gesloten de oorlogsjaren, van 1939 tot 1946.
In 1962 werd het ketelhuis vernieuw en uitgebreid van twee naar vier ketels.
In 1970 werd er een geheel nieuwe distilleerderij naast de oude gebouwd met zes ketels.
Dit gedeelte werd de 'A Side' genoemd, de oude distilleerderij werd 'B Side' genoemd.
De laatste werd in 1973 herbouwd.
In 1975 werd er een afdeling gebouwd om veevoeder te produceren.
De lagerpakhuizen werden in 1988 gesloopt.

Het proceswater komt van de Dairywell Spring op het Novar landgoed.
De Mash tun is 12 ton.
De acht Wash backs zijn elk 63.000 liter.
Teaninich heeft zes met stoom gestookte ketels, drie Wash stills van elk 16.000 liter en drie Spirit stills van elk 15.000 liter.
De capaciteit is 2,3 miljoen liter spirit per jaar.
North of Inverness, at the small village of Alness - home to Dalmore Distillery, also the lesser known distillery Teaninich is situated.
While Dalmore sits prominently on the shores of the Cromarty Firth, visble from the road- Teaninich is to be found hidden on the edge of the town, part of an industrial estate.
This anonymity suits Teaninich, there are no visitor facilities and the whisky has never been promoted as a Single Malt. However this should also not detract from Teaninich's enduring history. Established at a time when illicit distilling was rife, Teaninich (pronounced 'Te-an-inick') was one of only four legal distilleries to survive. The distillery has been in production almost continuously - it only stopped for W W 11 and a short period during the 'whisky loch' years of the 1980s.
Indeed, the whisky was in such demand that the distillery has seen numerous upgrades. From 1970 there were two distilleries on the site when a new still house was built. This was known as 'A Side' with the original distillery becoming 'B Side'. Both remained in production until the distillery was mothballed in the mid 1980s. When production recommenced in 1991 only the 'A Side' was utilised, the original 'B Side' buildings were demolished in 1999.
The distillery's output remains a blender's favourite and currently three million litres of alcohol are produced annually. Teaninich is a key component of Johnnie Walker Blended Scotch.
As you visit more and more distilleries, you look forard to seeing the subtle differences in each of their whisky making process. In general most things are the same, just a different size or shape - not at Teaninich.
You first notice that the mill looks different, not a roller mill such as a Porteous or Boby mill but an Asnong Hammer Mill. The malt is ground to a very fine grist by using revolving hammers to pound it against a perforated grate. Then the real changes become apparent.
The grist is then mixed with the first water in the 'Mash Conversion Vessel'. A vortex stirs the mash to the consistency of runny porridge. It is then transferred to a large Meura filter press where the mash is squeezed between 2oth plates and the wort is collected. A second water is then added through the filter and approximately 18.500 litres of wort are collected. The remaining liquid in the press is known as 'weak worts' and is collected for the next mash. The filter plates are then separated to allow the draff to be collected. This process takes place three times to fill one wash back, with each 'pressing' taking two hours to complete.

Although mash filters have been used in breweries for over 100 years, the distilling industry has remained loyal to the mash tun. There are a number of advantages: efficient extraction of fermentable sugars, the filter can handle 'problem' malt which would cause process problems in a conventional distillery, few moving parts, less mechanical wear and quick turnover times.
Time will tell if the mash filter will be deemed a succes and introduced in other distilleries. It is certainly one of the most unique features to be encountered in visiting Teaninich.



Distillery facts      

Water source:      Dairywell spring
Malt Source:      Glen Ord Maltings
Malt Type:      Optic - inpeated
Malt Storage:      12 x 30t Malt bins
Mill Type:      Asnong Hammer mill
Grist Storage:      4T
Mash Tun Construction      Mash filter
Mash Size:      3 x 4T mashes
No. of Wash Backs      8
Wash Back Contruction      Larch
Wash Back Capacity:      60.000L
Yeast:      Distillers
No. of Wash Stills:      3
Wash Still Charge:      17.500L
Heat Source:      Steam pans
Wash Still Shape:      Ball
No. of Spirit Stills      3
Spirit Still Charges:      15.600L
Heat Source:      Steam coils
Spirit Still Shape:      Ball
Current Annual      
Distillery Ourput (2005)      3m litres of alcohol
Cask storage      Nil

1817     Founded by Captain Hugh Munro, owner of the Teninich Estate
1845     Distilling passes to Lieutenant-General John Munro, a renowned benefactor of the local poor
1850     Munro is posted on service to India for many years, and leases the distillery to Robert Pattison to operate in his absence
1869     The lease on Teanich distillery os passed on to John McGilchrist Ross
1887     Alfred Barnard describes it as the only distillery north of Inverness that is lit by electricty - 'besides which it possesses telephonic communication with the Prprietor's resicence and the quarters of the Excise Officers
1895     John McGilchrist Ross gives up the distillery tenancy and is succeeded by a part-nership of John Munro, a spirit merchant and Robert Innes Cameron, a whisky broker, both from Elgin
1898     The Munro family transfers the whole of the distillery capital and all of its assets to the firm of Munro and Cameron
1904     Robert Innes Cameron becomes sole proprietor of the Teanich distillery. He also owns substantial interest in several Highland distillery companies, including Benrinnes, Linkwood and Tamdhu, and later became chairman of the Malt Distillers Association
Robert Innes Camron dies aged 72, in Elgin. He had been an influential and well-
respected figure, and among the funeral wreaths is one from his friend, Prime
Minister Ramsay MacDonald
Teanich is sold to Scottish Malt Distillers Ltd by the trustees of Robert Innes
CamgfOn
1939-1946 The distillery is closed as a result of wartime restrictions on the supply of barley to distillers
1962     The stillhouse is refitted. The steam engine and the two water wheels are discarded in favour of electricity, two additional stills introduced, and internal heating by steam replaced by coal burning furnaces
Demand for Teanich continues to grow, and a new stillhouse with six additional stills begin production
1973    The milling, mashing and fermentation part of the old distillery are rebuilt
1975    Dark grains plant is built
1985-1990 The distillery is mothballed
1991    Distillery re-opened by U D V
2000    Mash filter installed

Teaninich Distillery
Alness, Ross-shire
Captain Hugh Munro, owner of the Teaninich estate, founded the distillery on his own land in 1817. The Customs and Excise were pursuing, at that time, a campaign to stamp out illicit distilling, which used up the entire barley crop in many parishes of Ross-shire, thereby posing a threat of famine. So the Commissioners of Supply, the forerunners of the County Council, urged landlords to set up legal distilleries to provide an alternative outlet for farmers and a better end-product. At first, the hold of the illicit distillers over the markets for grain and whisky proved too strong to break. Three of the four legal distilleries built in Ross-shire went out of business; but, as Munro told a parliamentary enquiry in the 1830's, "I continued to struggle on". After the Excise Act of 1823 reduced the fiscal burdens on legal distillers, "an extraordinarychange was soon perceived". Teaninich's output had increased thirty or forty times over by 1830.
Teaninich Distillery was later carried on under Lieutenant-General John Munro, an exemplary landlord, at least in respect of his benefactions to the poor. "Not confining himself to mere pecuniary contributions", the New Statistical Account of Scotland reported in 1845, "he ad-ministers to their relief by daily personal visits, by supplying them with medicines, distributing among them meals and other provisions, and by providing them with fuel during the rigour of the winter season".
General Munro was absent for many years on service in India. He granted a lease of the distillery to Robert Pattison in 1850. The next lessee, John McGilchrist Ross, succeeded about 1869, and was in charge when Alfred Barnard, author of The Whisky Distilleries of the United Kingdom, 1887, paid a flying visit. Barnard wrote that Teaninich was "beautifully situated on the margin of the sea, and about one and a half miles from the station". It consisted of "several ranges of substantial buildings which, together with the manager's house, workmen's cottages and farmsteadings, give it the appearance of a small colony... Teaninich is the only distillery north of Inverness that is lighted by electricity; besides which it possesses telephonic communication with the proprietor's residence and the quarters of the excise officer."
Ross gave up the tenancy in 1895, when he was succeeded by Munro & Cameron, of Elgin. John Munro, a spirit merchant, and Robert Innes Cameron, a whisky broker, were the senior and junior partners in this firm, to which the Munro family conveyed the whole of the distillery capital, and all its assets, in 1898. A trade paper reported in 1899 that Munro & Cameron had spent "not much less than £0" in extending and refitting Teaninich. "Every vessel about the place is new, and just now the malt barns are being finished".
Innes Cameron became the sole proprietor of Teaninich in 1904. He already owned substantial interests in Highland distillery companies, including Benrinnes, Linkwood and Tamdhu, and in the course of time became chairman of the Malt Distillers Association. All of his life, except for his boyhood in the coastal village of Hopeman, where he was loved and revered, was spent in Elgin, where he died, aged 72, in 1932. A year later, his trustees sold Teaninich to Scottish Malt Distillers Ltd.

Some of the buildings had impressed a visitor in 1925 as being rather primitive. Both malting floors consisted of solid clay. The "vital machinery", - however, was "sound and efficient". There was "an immense mash-tun" capable of mashing 500 bushels of malt at a time, and representing "the last word in modernity". There were four stills, of which one pair was later described as being very small.
Teaninich closed in 1939, as a result of wartime restrictions on the supply of barley to distillers. When it restarted in 1946, the smaller pair of stills was removed. At this time, a steam engine provided the power needed for loading and unloading the malt kiln, conveying malt to the mill, and working the mill and the stirrers in the mash tun. A large water wheel, fed from the dam, was available to take over the work of the steam engine, and a small water wheel, fed from the overflow of the worm tanks, used to operate the rummager in the wash still.The steam engine and both water wheels were discarded in favour of electric power when the stillhouse was refitted in 1962. The number of stills was increased from two to four, and internal heating by steam replaced heating by coal-burning furnaces. An entirely new distillation unit, with six additional stills, all steam-heated, began production in 1970, making Teaninich one of the largest of SMD's distilleries. The new unit was named "A Side". The milling, mashing and fermentation part of the old distillery ("B Side") was rebuilt three years later. A plant for the production of dark grains, a high-protein animal feedingstuff, from the solid matter left over from the mashing and distillation processes, was built in 1975.
Process and cooling water are drawn from Dairywell Spring, on the Novar Estate, where SMD has water rights. The distillery occupies a site of approximately 20 acres (9 hectares). SMD owns 13 houses for occupation by employees.
The licensed distillers are R.H. Thomson & Co. (Distillers) Ltd., Edinburgh, proprietors of Robbie Burns and other blended Scotch whiskies sold mainly in export markets.

October 2005

Diageo has announced that its 2005 Annual Rare Malts Selection will be the last.

The collection will consist of four cask strenght single malts from closed distilleries; Glen Mhor 28 years old, Millburn 35 years old, Glendullan 26 years old and Linkwood 30 years old.
Dr. Nicholas Morgan, global malts marketing director commented: 'As the Special Releases are now well established, it makes less sence to continue selecting and promoting a parallel series of Rare Malts with his own separate indentity'.
In future, all premium and rare whiskies will be made available in the annual Special Releases series.

DIAGEO

April 2013

Diageo has named Teaninich near Alness as the location for its plans to build a new 50 million pound new malt whisky distillery and will be adjacent the existing Teaninich distillery
but will have its own name and indentity and will have the capacity to produce 13 million
litres of spirit p[er annum from its 16 stills.

Diageo also invest 12 million pound in expanding the Teaninich distillery to almost doubless capacity.

The site will also feature a bio - energy plant.

The work will begin in 2014.

Diageo also will invest in Mortlach distillery  in building a new still house and an other invest-
ment will be at Glendullan distillery to process co products in an anaerobic digestion process, producing bio - gas which will be used to power the Glendullan distillery.

There are also expansion and upgrade developments for more then 40 million pound in
Linkwood, Mannochmore, Glendullan, Dailuaine, Benrinnes, Inchgower, Cragganmore,
Glen Elgin, Glen Ord and in a new bio - energie plants in Glenlossie and Dailuaine.

Also new warehouse are build at Cluny near Kirkcaldy.

And at Talisker  a new visitor centre is build for a 1 million pound.

We, the Tasting Panel, verify that the Scotch Malt Whisky inside this bottle has been
passed under some of the most scrupulous noses in the world and approved for re-
lease as a Society bottling.

TEANINICH

1817
Captain Hugh Munro, Owner of the
Teaninch Estate, starts a distillery
1831
Captain Hugh Munto sells Teaninich
distillery to his brother John
1850
John Munro, who lives mostly in
India, gives a lease to Robert
Pattison from Leith
1869
John McGilchrist takes over the licence
1895
Munto & Cameron takes over the licence
1898
Teaninich is bought by Munor & Cameron
1904
Robert Innes Cameron becomes sole owner
1932
Robert Innes Cameron dies
1933
The Estate of Robert Innes Cameron sells
Teaninich distillery to the Distillers Com-
pany Limited. (D.C.L.)
1970
New distillery is build with six stills and
becomes known as the A side
1975
A dark grains plant is built
1984
The B side of Teaninich is mothballed
1985
The A side is also mothballed
1991
The A side produces again
1992
United Distillers launches a 10 year old
in the Flora & Fauna series
1999
The B side is decommissioned
2000
A mash filter is installed
2009
Teaninich 1996, single cask is released
In the Manager's Choice series



TEANINICH  DISTILLERY

Teaninich Distillery was closed from 1939 - 1946.

In 1946 Teaninich started production with 2 of its 4 stills, 2 smaller stills were removed.

Process- and cooling water comes from Dairy Spring on the Norvar Estate.

The Malt is crushed to grist by an Asnong Hammer Mill and this one is the only one in gthe
industrie and makes a more powery grist than the Porteus and Boby Mills.

An other future at Teaninch is the mashing process, introduced in 2000, common in the
brewing industrie but unique in the whisky industrie: no mash tun is used, instead the grist
is mixed with first water in the Mash Conversion Vessel, and then a vortex stirs the mash to
the consistence of a watery porridge, which is then transferred to a Meura filter press
where the wort is collected, then the second water through the filter and the remaining
liquid is called weak worts and is returned as water for the next wash.

Filter plates are then separated to allow the draft te be collected. This process takes 3 times
To fill one wash back with each pressing taking 2 hours to complete.

In 1962 the still house was updated and 2 stills were added, coal firing was removed and
from now on the 4 stills were indirect heated.

In 1973 - 1974 milling. Ashing and fermentation facilities were rebuilt and integrated in
with the old facility also as ä distillery within a distillery".

That became as Teaninich Side B.

In 1969 a new complex was added: Teaninic A, with 12 stills, indirectly heated.

In 1973 the floor malting was abandoned and in 1975 a dark grains plant was build.

Teaninich B was mothballed in June 1984 and closed in 1 October the same year.

Teaninich A was closed in 31 March 1985.

Teaninich A was in production again in 1991 and the old Teaninich B complex was demo-
lished in 1999.



TEANINICH  DISTILLERY

Wash backs: 8 wooden made from Scottish larch eack 60.000 litres
3 Wash stills and 3 Spirit stills onion shaped wit a boiling ball and very short, thick necks

The new 6 six stills were installed in 1969 - 1970, with indirect heating by oil firing with
steam pans in the Wash stills and steam coils in the Spirit stills.

The Wash stills are each 17.500 litres, the Spirit stills each 15.600 litres.

Cooling is performed by shell and tube condensers.

Teaninich B had first a set of the same type and size as Teaninich A and also a secondary
pair. This pair was drum shaped with straight sides and in volume a little bit larger than
the primary stills. They were converted from manual coal firing to mechanical and in
1962 to indirect heating by oil firing.

Output maximum was 3000.000 litres of spirit a year, and 6.000.000 litres when A and B
side were in full production.

Warehouses have a capacity of 7000 casks,

Most of the production goes into blended whiskies: Johnnie Walker, Haig, vat 69, Robert Burns and Drambuie the whisky liqueur.

Back to content | Back to main menu