INFO RARE MALTS SELECTION Natural Cask Strenght Distilled 1975 Bottled May 2002 Limited Edition Genummerde flessen Scottish Malt Distillers, Elgin
25 years old
43 % SIGNATORY VINTAGE VINTAGE 1978 Single Highland Malt Scotch Whisky Distilled on 22nd February 1978 Cask Nr.6898 Bottled on 29th October 2003 366 Bottles Genummerde flessen Natural Colour Signatory Vintage Scotch Whisky Co, Ltd, Edinburgh
25 years old
INFO SINGLE CASK SCOTCH MALT WHISKY Society Cask code 69.10 Date Distilled Jul 79 Date Bottled Mar 05 Outturn 240 Bottles The Scotch Malt Whisky Society, The Vaults, Leith, Edinburgh 'Flamengo dancer with slow legs'
46 % SINGLE HIGHLAND MALT Distilled 1975 Bottled 2006 Proprietors: Mackinlay & Birnie Limited Bonded and Bottled by Gordon & Macphail, Elgin
GLEN ALBYN 1 9 7 6 36 years
43 % DISTILLERY LABELS Single Highland malt Scotch Whisky Distilled 1976 Bottled 2012 Proprietors: MacKinlay & Birnie Limited Bonded and bottled by Gordon & Macphail, Elgin
Highland Malt The Northern Highlands GLEN ALBYN (1846 - 1983)
Inverness. Licentiehouder: Mackinlay & Birnie Ltd. Onderdeel van Scottish Malt Distillers Ltd, De malt divisie van Distillers Company Ltd. (D.C.L.). Glen Albyn werd gesticht door James Sutherland in 1840, burgemeester van Inverness. De distilleerderij werd gebouwd op de overblijfsel van de Muirtown bierbrouwerij en werd geopend op 9 Januari 1840. Glen Albyn lag naast het Caledonian Canal. In 1849 werd Glen Albyn grotendeels door brand verwoest. Glen Albyn werd door James Sutherland herbouwd in 1850 en ging in 1852 weer in produktie. James Sutherland hield het in 1855 voor gezien. In 1866 werd de licentie van Glen Albyn ingetrokken omdat er een pijpleiding was ontdekt die liep van de distilleerderij naar een plaatselijke pub. Glen Albyn was omstreeks deze tijd ook nog in gebruik als graanmaalderij. In 1884 werd Glen Albyn herbouwd door William Grigor & Son te Inverness, hij verkocht één van de oude ketels toen aan William Grant die de ketel ging gebruiken in zijn toen nieuwe Balvenie distilleerderij. De bedrijfsleider van Glen Albyn was John Birnie maar ging wat later een compagnonschap aan met Charles Mackinlay & Co, whisky- en wijnhandelaars te Leith. Zij bouwden toen de Glen Mhor distilleerderij tegenover Glen Albyn. In 1920 werd Glen Albyn overgenomen door Mackinlay & Birnie Ltd, de eigenaars van Glen Mhor. Glen Albyn was gesloten van 1917 tot 1919 en in gebruik als mijnenwerkplaats van de Amerikaanse Marine. Glen Albyn was weer gesloten van 1941 tot 1945. In 1961 werd de vloermouterij vervangen door een mouterij volgens het Saladin systeem. Sinds 1906 bezat John Walker & Sons Ltd een belang van 43^ % in Mackinlay & Birnie en doordat John Walker & Son Ltd sinds 1925 behoorden tot de Distillers Company Ltd, kon D.C.L. de rest van de aandelen kopen van Scottish & NewCastle Breweries Ltd, sinds 1961 voor 10,9 % aandeelhouder in Mackinlay & Birnie en van de families Mackinlay en Birnie. In 1983 sloot de D.C.L. Glen Albyn. Kort daarna werd Glen Albyn ontmanteld. Glen Albyn had één Wash still en één Spirit still.
October 2005 Diageo has announced that its 2005 Annual Rare Malts Selection will be the last. The collection will consist of four cask strenght single malts from closed distilleries; Glen Mhor 28 years old, Millburn 35 years old, Glendullan 26 years old and Linkwood 30 years old. Dr. Nicholas Morgan, global malts marketing director commented: 'As the Special Releases are now well established, it makes less sence to continue selecting and promoting a parallel series of Rare Malts with his own separate indentity'. In future, all premium and rare whiskies will be made available in the annual Special Releases series.
1844 Founded by James Sutherland and inaugurated in October
1845 Production starts
1849 A fire in November damages Glen Albyn
1850 Production recommences in February
1855 James Sutherland goes bankrupt due to the costly repair work and the distillery is put up for sale without success
1866 The building is transformed into a flour mill
1884 Gregory & Co new owners and converts the mill into a distillery
1891 Glen Albyn Distillery Company is formed
1892 A sister distillery, Glen Mhor is built by the manager of Glen Albyn John Birnie and James Mackinlay
1920 Mackinlay & Birnie Ltd, owner of Glen Mhor, buys Glen Albyn and runs both distilleries in parallel operations
1954 Florr maltings is abolished and replaced by a Saladin box
1972 Distillers Company Limited (D.C.L.) buys Glen Albyn which is admini- strated by Scottish Malt Distillers Ltd, (S.M.D.)
1983 Glen Albyn is taken out of production
1986 Glen Albyn is demolished
Glen Albyn was a small distillery with an output of 1,5 million litres
The name comes from Glen is valley and Alba, the old name for Scotland
It was built on the ruins of Muirtown brewery
2002 Glen Albyn is lauched as a Rare Malt, 26 years old and distilled in 1975
Output: 1,5.00.000 litres a year
1844 Founded by James Sutherland 1846 Production starts 1849 A Fire in November damages Glen Albyn 1850 Production starts in February 1855 James Sutherland goes bankrupt due to the costly repair work and the distillery is put up for sale without success 1866 The building is transformed into a flour mill 1884 New owners Gregory & Co convert the flour mill to a distillery 1891 Glen Albyn Distillery Company is formed 1892 A sister distillery is build, Glen Mhor by the manager of Glen Albyn John Birnie and James Mackinlay 1920 Mackinlay & Birnie Ltd, owners of Glen Mhor buy Glen Albyn distillery and run both distil- leries in parallel operations 1954 Floor malting are abolished and replaced by A Saladin box 1972 Distillers Company Ltd (D.C.L.) buys Glen Albyn which is administered by Scotch Malt Distillers Ltd. (S.M.D.). 1983 Glen Albyn is taken out of production 1986 Glen Albyn is demolished
In 1884 output was 340.000 litres In 1954 Glen Albyn pioneered mechanical malting as opposed tot traditional floor malting The old stills, 1 Wash still had a capacity of 8128 litres and the Spirit still had a capacity of 6819 litres, were replaced with 1 Wash still with a capacity of 13.600 litres and a Spirit still 0f 11.360 litres.
The old stills had odd lyne arms which were said to cool the fluid more quickly and did im- prove its flavor.
The lyne arms did have a circular cross section but were flattered, giving a capital D - shaped cross section, with the flat side lying down, and each still fad a 100 m - long coil or submerged worm to coll the vapours and was indirectly heated by steam coils.
The output was 1.125000 litres spirit, however the last years the production was only 330.00 litres a year.
The warehouses, shared with Glen Mhor had a capacity of 60.000 casks
The old stills were build by Fleming, Benner & McLaren in Glasgow
This Inverness malt distillery was a forerunner of innovation though sadly demolished in 1983.
Of the new distilleries founded during the late 19th century, Glen Albyn was notable for its uniquely shaped worm tubs, which were shaped into the letter D with the flat side down to cool the spirit quickly. It was also one of the first distilleries to introduce Saladin box maltings, along with its neighbour, Glen Mhor.
Unlike Glen Mhor, which was bottled as a single malt throughout the late 19th and early 20th centuries, Glen Albyn’s whisky was mostly sold for blending. Some official bottlings were released in the 1970s, while a 26-year-old edition became part of Diageo’s Rare Malts collection in 2001. A handful of independent bottlings also exist though have become exceedingly rare.
Inverness was once the chief malting town in Scotland and teemed with malt kilns and breweries, though following the agricultural revolution many of these closed down. Glen Albyn distillery was founded on the site of one of these ruined malt kilns on the banks of the Caledonian Canal Basin and the Highland Railway, which brought in peat and coal.
It was founded in 1846 by James Sutherland, provost of Inverness, who ran the distillery for six years. Following a period of disuse the site was converted into a flour mill in 1866.
Glen Albyn was given a second chance at producing spirit in 1884 when it was converted back into a distillery capable of producing 75,000 gallons of spirit a year by Grigor & Co., which passed it onto the Glenalbyn Distillery Co. in 1891.
The following year distillery manager John Birnie – who was also provost of Inverness for six years in 1910 – left to form a partnership with Leith blender Charles Mackinlay, which resulted in the construction of Glen Mhor distillery next door. This new partnership went on to acquire Glen Albyn in 1920.
Both distilleries were among the first to introduce Saladin boxes in place of floor maltings in 1954, and were picked up together in DCL’s takeover of Mackinlays & Birnie in 1972. However neither survived the market downturn of the 1980s, and both plants were closed in 1983 along with other DCL distilleries such as Brora, Banff and Dallas Dhu.
Both Glen Albyn and Glen Mhor were later demolished to make way for superstores.