15 years old
43 % INFO
James Buchanan Ltd, Distillers,
Glasgow & London
19 years old
LAST BOTTLE AND EMPTY
Proprietors: Jas. Buchanan Ltd
Gordon & Macphail, Elgin
36 years old
SPECIAL CLASSIC MALTS
Single Highland Malt Scotch Whisky
Distilled in 1966
Bottled in 2002
Limited Edition of 1500 bottles
29 years old
SPECIAL CLASSIC MALTS
Single Highland Malt Scotch Whisky
Second very special release
Bottled in 2003
5250 Numbered Bottles
20 years old
56,8 % INFO
CLASSIC MALTS SELECTION
SPECIAL RELEASES 2006
Fine Cask Strenght Single Malt Whiskies
Highland Single Malt Scotch Whisky
Natural Cask Strenght
Distilled in 1986
Matured in 2nd refill Sherry European Oak casks
YOUNGEST OF THREE LIMITED RELEASES
TO BE OFFERED BY THE DISTILLERY
Bottled in 2006
Just 4200 individually numbered
bottles available world-wide
180 bottles available for the Netherlands
Dalwhinnie Distillery, Dalwhinnie, Inverness-shire
1 9 8 0
THE DISTILLERS EDITION
Double Matured D. SC. 312
Oloroso Cask Wood
Dalwhinnie Distillery, Dalwhinnie, Inverness - shire
Dalwhinnie, Inverness-shire. Licentiehouder: James Buchanan & Co, Limited. Onderdeel van Scottish Malt Distillers Ltd. (S.M.D.). De malt divisie van United Distillers Ltd. Eigendom van Guinness.
Dalwhinnie betekent ontmoetingsplaats. De oorspronkelijke naam was Strathspey. De kosten van de bouw zouden £ 10.000 bedragen.
De stichters van Strathspey waren John Grant, Alex Mackenzie en George Sellar. Mackenzie een architekt ontwierp de distilleerderij.
De plaats, heel afgelegen, was gekozen omdat de Highland Railway er dichtbij langs liep en de Great North Road er voor langs liep.
Strathspey werd opgestart in Februari 1998, op het hoogtepunt van de whiskygekte die er toen heerste in Schotland, maar zijn einde vond op 8 Juni 1899 toen de zeepbel klapte met het frauduleus bankroet van de Pattisons
In October werd Strathspey gekocht door A.P. Blyth, manager van een distillerij te Leith de distilleerderij ten behoeve van zijn zoon. Strathspey werd verbouwd onder de leiding van de toen beroemde architekt Charles Doig, en de nieuwe naam werd Dalwhinnie
Op 10 Februari 1905 werd Dalwhinnie verkocht voor £ 1250 aan Cook & Bernheimer te New York en Baltimore, toen de grootste distillateurs in Amerika. De naam van hun dochteronderneming werd James Munro & Son Ltd, gevestigd in Inverness.
Zij namen een groot lagerpakhuizen complex over te Leith, waarboven altijd de Amerikaanse vlag woei.
De eerste poging van Amerikaanse investeringen eindigden in 1919, het begin van de Amerikaanse drooglegging.
Sir James Calder, van Macdonald Greenlees & Williams Ltd, whiskyblenders te Leith, was de koper en met de overname in 1926 door The Distillers Company Ltd van Macdonald Greenlees & Williams Ltd, werd Dalwhinnie onderdeel van Scottish Malt Distillers Ltd (S.M.D.).
Dalwhinnie staat 327 meter boven de zeespiegel.
Op 1 Februari 1934 werd Dalwhinnie grotendeels door brand verwoest. In April 1938 werd Dalwhinnie weer opgestart, maar was gedurende de tweede wereldoorlog weer gesloten In 1960 werd er gemoderniseerd.
Dalwhinnie is Station 0582 van de meteorlogische dienst.
Dalwhinnie heeft twee met stoom verhitte ketels met een kapaciteit van 1,2 miljoen liter spirit per jaar.
Dalwhinnie maakt deel uit van de Classic Malts en The Distillers Edition series.
De Mash tun is 6,8 ton, de Wash backs (zes stuks) kunnen elk 34000 liter bevatten.
Er staat 1 Wash still van 17000 liter en een spirit still van 14000 liter.
Het water komt van de Allt an T'Slui Spring.
De manager is David Hardy, hij is ook de manager van Blair Athol (2003).
CLASSIC MALTS OF SCOTLAND
De Classic Malts of Scotland serie, bestaande uit:
Glenkinchie 10 years old,
Dalwhinnie 15 years old,
Cragganmore 12 years old,
Oban 14 years old,
Talisker 10 years old,
Lagavulin 16 years old
verandert van samenstelling
Oban 14 year old wordt vervangen door Glen Elgin 12 years old, Lagavulin 16 years old wordt vervangen door Caol Ila 12 years old
Dit komt omdat de betrokken distilleerderijen de produktie niet meer aankunnen.
CLASSIC MALT SELECTION
tegelijkertijd wordt onder de naam Classic Malts Selection een 3- Bottle Plinth uitgebracht met:
Glen Elgin 12 years old,
Talisker 10 years old,
Caol Ila 12 years old
12 years old
Natuur geuren 15 %
Fruitigheid 60 %
Turf 10 %
Houttonen 15 %
deze malt kenmerkt zich door zijn volle en zachte smaak met een explosie van vers geel fruit
10 years old
Fruitigheid 30 %
Turf 70 %
een aromatische, explosieve en prikkelende malt van Skye die uiteindelijk ook zoete tonen laat proeven
12 years old
Natuur geuren 50 %
Turf 50 %
een malt met een duidelijk karakter, krachtig compleet met zee-aroma's en de geur van hout-vuur.
The place-name "Dalwhinnie" derives from a Gaelic word meaning "the meeting place". Here, in former times, cattle drovers coming from Inverness and farther north met those who had crossed the Monadhliath Mountains from the west, and rested their herds before ascending the Pass of Drumochter on their way to the cattle fairs of the south. Here, too, the military road through the Central Highlands, built by General Wade in 1728-31, forked west to Fort Augustus and north to Inverness. A section of the original road, unused except by distillery transport, can still be seen immediately north of the crossing of the distillery burn by the "old A9". The Strathspey Distillery - that was its original name - wasbuilt at a height of 1,073 feet (327 metres) above sea-level. The main reason for choosing this location was its access to abundant, cold and uncontaminated mountain water close to its source in Lochan an Doire-uaine. This supply flows underground for some way before forming the Allt an t-Sluic, the distillery burn. The area, uninhabited and uncultivated for many miles, held ample reserves of peat.
The site chosen for the distillery was bounded at the rear by the main railway line from Inverness to the south, and on the front by the Great North Road. The Inverness Courier, on 26 January 1897, predicted that the cost would be "something like £0", and that the buildings would be "of ample character, well adapted to stand the rigours of this high climate". As it turned out, it was an economic blizzard that wrecked the new enterprise. The promoters included John Grant, J.P., of Gran-town-on-Spey, solicitor and sherriff's clerk depute for Inverness-shire, Alex Mackenzie, C.E., of Kingussie, architect and burgh surveyor, and George Sellar,also of Kingussie, grocer and draper. Mackenzie designed the distillery. Strathspey began production in February 1898, the year when the speculative boom in building malt whisky distilleries reached its peak. The venture was not a commercial success, and went into liquidation. In October, A. P. Blyth, managing director of a distillery company in Leith, announced that he had bought Strathspey on behalf of his son. Charles Doig of Elgin, a well-known distillery architect, was engaged to make "considerable improvements on the buildings and plant"; an application for a railway siding was made and the distillery was given a new name, Dalwhinnie. A. P. Blyth & Son resold it on 10 February 1905 to Cook & Bernheimer, of New York and Baltimore, the largest distillers in the USA at that time. The price was £1,250.
Many people in Scotland feared that the purchase of Dalwhinnie might be the first step to an American take-over of the Scotch whisky industry. Some Scotch whisky traders took the more hopeful view that Cook & Bernheimer's purchase was part of a move to promote sales of its prod-ucts in the USA and Canada, which could result in favourable publicity for the Scotch whisky industry as a whole. At that time, South Africa and Australia were the largest overseas markets for Scotch, and the vast potential market offered by the English-speaking population of North America had hardly been tapped.
Once established as distillers of Scotch malt whisky, Cook & Bernheimer formed a company, styled James Munro & Son Ltd., with registered offices in Inverness, to run the business. They also acquired a huge warehouse and office block at Boundary
House, 121/123 Constitution Street, Leith, above which the American flag was constantly flown, and where Scotch whiskies were blended "to suit the American palate".
The first stage of direct American involvement in the Scotch whisky industry came to an end in 1919 with the enactment of Prohibition. Cook & Bernheimer cut their losses by selling out to Sir James Calder, chairman of Macdonald Greenlees & Williams Ltd., Scotch whisky blenders, of Leith. Sir James sold this company to The Distillers Company Limited in 1926. Dalwhinnie Distillery has been operated by a DCL subsidiary, Scottish Malt Distillers Ltd., since 1930.An outbreak of fire on 1 February 1934 caused extensive damage, resulting in the closure of the distillery. Until that year, there was no electricity in the village; paraffin lamps were used to light the premises; there was no telephone, and steam engines were used for power. Dalwhinnie reopened in April 1938, after extensive rebuilding and refitting,' only to be closed again, as a result of Government restriction on the supply of barley to distillers, in the second world war.
The distillery was refitted again in the 1960's. The wash still and the spirit still were hand-fired until 1961, when they were converted to steam heating from a coal-fired boiler, which in turn was converted to oil-firing in 1972. The malt barns ceased production in 1968 and were converted to a racked warehouse in 1970. British Rail closed the private siding in 1979.
Scottish Malt Distillers Ltd. owns 11 houses for occupation by employees and runs a hostel with ten bedrooms, and a full-time cook, to accommodate single workers, or craftsmen and contractors' men who need to stay overnight. It is not uncommon for Dalwhinnie to be snow-bound for four or five days at a time in severe winters. Angus MacDonald, a former distillery manager, has described days in 1937 when snowdrifts over twenty feet high piled up and people scrambled out of their houses through first-floor windows. In 1940, he and his men worked for a week on end to clear snow from the railway siding and the loaded goods waggons
"We cleared by Friday. On Saturday there was another heavy fall and we had to start all over again."
A minor hazard of life is the propensity of red deer to raid gardens in the early hours of the morning. Dalwhinnie has been a secluded spot since it was by-passed in the 1970's by a new stretch of the A9.
Dalwhinnie Distillery is Station 0582 of the Meteorological Office. It is one of the manager's responsibilities to make a daily record of maximum and minimum temperatures, the number of hours of sunshine, wind speed and snow depth. He is also, ex-officio, a trustee of Dalwhinnie village hall. The distillery is the focal point of the community.
The licensed distillers are James Buchanan & Co. Ltd., of Glasgow and London, proprietors of Black & White, Buchanan's Reserve, Buchanan's de Luxe and The Buchanan Blend Scotch whiskies. They bottle limited quantities of Dalwhinnie malt whisky for the local market.
DALWHINNIE THE DISTILLERS EDITION
De juiste houten vaten selecteren om een single malt in te laten rijpen is traditioneel één van de vaardigheden van de distillateur.
De kombinatie van het hout en de pas gedistilleerde alcohol is mede bepalend voor het karakter van de malt whisky.
Als de gerijpte whisky later opnieuw een tijdje doorbrengt in een tweede vat kan hij aan diepte en komplexiteit winnen.
November 1997 werden een beperkt aantal vaten van de zes Classic Malts gebotteld waarvan de whiskies deze bewerking hebben ondergaan.
Van alle Spaanse soorten zijn Oloroso - vaten de meest karaktervolle en bijgevolg ook de meest gewaardeerde.
Oloroso staat voor droge, rijke concentratie van sterke geuren en betekent letterlijk 'welriekend'.
Olorosovaten zijn sterk geapprecieerde partners voor de tweede rijping van Dalwhinnie, omdat ze de uitgesproken geuren en smaken van de malt perfekt aanvullen.
From the highest distillery in Scotland, set in the windswept Grampian mountains with their unlimited supply of fresh water, comes this delightfully gentle, delicately smoky malt.
The Gaelic word from which the name Dalwhinnie comes is Dail-conneeah, which translates as 'meeting place'.
The highest distillery in Scotland was founded on these bleak, wind-swept central pastures in 1898.
The classic Highland Malt, Dalwhinnie ages slowly to develop a remarkable character. Fifteen years of gentle ageing make it a smooth, suble malt without a trace of harshness. Heartwarming yet also mellow and honeyed, its combination of delicacy and depth sets it apart.
Where it matters, Dalwhinnie retains the old ways. Increasingly rare wooden worm-tubs, a landmark outside the distillery as distinctive as its pagoda roofs, help this remain a spirit of real character.
Hidden depths are also apparent. Smooth-tasting Dalwhinnie yields flavours of creamy vanilla and a heather-honey sweetness, finishing in a smoky Highland glow of surprising intensity,
Dalwhinnie is the remote Highland destination on a journey around Scotland's six malt whisky regions.
The other Classic Malts are: Glenkinchie, Lowland, Cragganmore, Speyside, Talisker, Skye, Oban, West Highland and Lagavulin, Islay.
Diageo has announced that its 2005 Annual Rare Malts Selection will be the last.
The collection will consist of four cask strenght single malts from closed distilleries; Glen Mhor 28 years old, Millburn 35 years old, Glendullan 26 years old and Linkwood 30 years old.
Dr. Nicholas Morgan, global malts marketing director commented: 'As the Special Releases are now well established, it makes less sence to continue selecting and promoting a parallel series of Rare Malts with his own separate indentity'.
In future, all premium and rare whiskies will be made available in the annual Special Re-leases series.
1897 John Grant, George Sellar and Alexander Mackenzie from Kingussie commence
building the facilities
The first name is Strathspey and the construction work amounts to 10.000 Pounds
1898 Production starts in February. The owners encounter financial troubles after a few
months and John Somerville & Co and A.P. Blyth & Sons take over in November
and change the name to Dalwhinnie'
The architect Charles Doig is called in to make some improvements
1905 America's largest distillers, Cook & Bernheimer in New York, buys Dalwhinnie
for 1,250 Pounds at an auction. This marks the first time a foreign company takes
ownership of a Scottish distillery
The administration of Dalwhinnie is placed in the newly formed company James
Munro & Sons
1919 Macdonald Greenlees & Williams Ltd, headed by Sir James Calder buys Dalwhinnie
1926 Macdonald Greenlees & Williams Ltd is bought by Distillers Company Ltd, (D.C.L.) which licenses Dalwhinnie to James Buchanan & Co.
1930 Operations are transferred to Scottish Malt Distillers (S.M.D.)
1934 Dalwhinnie is closed after a fire in February
1938 Dalwhinnie opens again
1968 The maltings is decommissioned
1986 A complete refurbishing takes place
1987 Dalwhinnie 15 years old becomes one of six selected malt whiskies in United Distillers' Classic Malts
1991 A visitor centre is constructed
1992 Dalwhinnie closes and goes through a major refurbishment costing 3,2 million Pounds
1995 Dalwhinnie opens in March
1998 Dalwhinnie Distillers Edition 1980 (oloroso) is introduced for the first time The other five in The Classic Malts, each with a different finish, are also introduced as Distillers Editions for the first time
2002 A 36 years old is released
2003 A 29 years old is released
2006 A 20 years old is released
There is another distillery which goes out of its way to create a heavy, sulphury new make. Clear worts and long ferments help to create a background character of light waxiness, but the stills are run in a way to stop copper conversation and their lyne arms run into worm tubs – the classic way to produce a heavy new make character.