Go to content

Main menu:

North Port - Brechin

Whisky Collection Bar > N

NORTH PORT - BRECHIN       20 years old 40%             
CONNOISSEURS CHOICE
Distilled 1970
Bottled 1990
Proprietors: Mitchell Bros. Ltd
Gordon & Macphail, Elgin

NORTH PORT - BRECHIN       19 years old 40%             
CONNOISSEURS CHOICE
Distilled 1974
Bottled 1993
Proprietors: Mitchell Bros. Ltd
Gordon & Macphail, Elgin

NORTH PORT - BRECHIN       17 years old 40 %                             
CONNOISSEURS CHOICE
Distilled 1981
Bottled 1998
Proprietors: Mitchell Bros. Ltd
Gordon & Macphail, Elgin

NORTH PORT - BRECHIN       19 years old 40 %              
CONNOISSEURS CHOICE
Distilled 1981
Bottled 2000
Proprietors: Mitchell Bros. Ltd
Gordon & Macphail, Elgin

NORTH PORT BRECHIN         15 years old 61,3 %              
Distilled January 77
Bottled June 92
Society Cask No. code 74 (35 cl)
The Scotch Malt Whisky Society,
The Vaults, Leith, Edinburgh

NORTH PORT BRECHIN         18 years old 63,1 %             
SINGLE CASK
SCOTCH MALT WHISKY
Distilled March 78
Bottled October 96
282 bottles
Society Cask No. code 74.4
The Scotch Malt Whisky, Society,
The Vaults, Leith, Edinburgh

NORTH PORT BRECHIN         23 years old 61,3 %   INFO         
SINGLE CASK
SCOTCH MALT WHISKY
Distilled December 76
Bottled October 00
Society Cask No. code 74.5
273 bottles
The Scotch Malt Whisky Society,
The Vaults, Leith, Edinburgh
'Oily Hands and Steam Trains'

NORTH PORT BRECHIN         20 years old 61,2 %   INFO        
RARE MALTS SELECTION
Natural Cask Strenght
Distilled 1979
Bottled October 1999
Limited Edition
Genummerde flessen
Mitchell Brothers, Glasgow

NORTH PORT (BRECHIN)        18 years old 61,4 %             
CADENHEAD'S
AUTHENTIC COLLECTION
Cask Strenght
Single Malt Scotch Whisky
Distilled December 1976
Bottled October 1995
Wm. Cadenhead, Campbeltown

NORTH PORT  VINTAGE 1975 24 years old 61,1 %

Distilled 25.6.75

Bottled 17.3.2000

Matured in a sherry cask
Butt No. 2094
Genummerde flessen
Natural Colour
620 bottles
Signatory Vintage
Scotch Whisky Co, Ltd, Edinburg

NORTH PORT BRECHIN   26 years old 55,6 %              
SILENT STILLS
Distilled 29.8.75
Bottled 3.9.2001
Cask No. 2960
211 bottles
Genummerde flessen
Signatory Vintage
Scotch Whisky Co, Ltd, Edinburgh

NORTH PORT ( BRECHIN )        25 years old 56 %             
East Highland
AUTHENTIC COLLECTION
Cask Strenght
Distilled: 1977
Bottled: June 2002
Cask: Bourbon Hogshead
No. of Bottles: 276
Wm. Cadenhead, Campbeltown

NORTH PORT ( BRECHIN )        29 years old 57,5 %            
SIGNATORY VINTAGE 1975
CASK STRENGHT COLLECTION
Highland  single malt  Scotch Whisky
Distilled on: 29/08/1975
Bottled on: 13/06/2005
Matured  in a Hogshead Cask No: 2961
185 Numbered Bottles
Natural Colour
Signatory Vintage Scotch Whisky Co, Ltd,   
Edinburg

NORTH PORT BRECHIN        24 years old 43 %    INFO            
CONNOISSEURS CHOICE
HIGHLAND SINGLE MALT
SCOTCH WHISKY
Distillation Date: November 1981
Cask Type: Refill American Hogsheads
Bottling Date: November 2005
Proprietors: John Haig & Co, Ltd
Specially selected, produced and bottled by
Gordon & Macphail, Elgin

NORTH  PORT       Aged 25 years 54,3 %    INFO       
RAREST OF THE RARE
SINGLE MALT SCOTCH WHISKY
Unique Whiskies of Distinction
Fons  et Origo
DTC
A Historic Collection of
Cask Strenght Single Cask Whiskies
from Distilleries which no longer exist
Distilled: 04.1981
Cask no. 780
Bottled 11.2006
202 Bottles
No Chill Filtering or
Colourings of any kind
Duncan Taylor & Co, Ltd
Huntly, Aberdeenshire

NORTH  PORT   Aged 27 years  56,5 %                               
RAREST  OF  THE  RARE
SINGLE  MALT  SCOTCH  WHISKY
Unique Whiskies of Distinction
Fons et Origo
D T C
A Historic Collection of
Cask Strenght Single Cask Whiskies
From Distilleries which no longer exist
Distilled: 04.1981
Cask No. 779
Bottled: 10.2008
396 Numbered Bottles
No Chill Filtering or
Colourings of any kind
Duncan Taylor & Co, Ltd, Huntly, Aberdeenshire


Highland Malt
The Eastern Highlands
NORTH PORT BRECHIN (1820 - 1983) zie ook Brechin

Brechin, Angus. Licentiehouder: Mitchell Brothers Ltd. North Port - Brechin is onderdeel van Scottish Malt Distillers Ltd. (S.M.D.). De malt divisie van United Distillers Ltd. Eigendom van Guinness
In 1820 gesticht door de van Brechin afkomstige broers David, John en Alexander Guthrie. De naam van de firma was Townhead Distillery Company. In 1823 was de naam van de distilleerderij Brechin.
In 1825 werd de firmanaam Guthrie, Martin & Co, en in 1839 werd de naam Brechin veranderd in North Port.
In 1893 werd de firma een naamloze vennootschap. (Ltd).
Eind 19e eeuw was de produktie van North Port 100.000 gallons whisky per jaar.
In 1922 werd Guthrie, Martin & Co, gekocht door de Distillers Company Ltd. (D.C.L.) en W.H. Holt Ltd en de Ltd hield op te bestaan en North Port ging deel uitmaken van de Scottish Malt Distillers Ltd.
North Port was gesloten van 1928 tot 1937, en weer in de oorlogsjaren.
In 1970 werd de distilleerderij gemoderniseerd.
In 1983 wordt North Port in de 'mottenballen' gedaan.
North Port is gelegen aan de rivier de South Esk die bij Montrose in de Noordzee uitmondt. De gerst werd betrokken van boeren in de direkte omgeving en het water en de turf kwamen van de Grampian Mountains.
North Port heeft twee ketels en de kondensoren worden gekoeld in een beekje dat door de distilleerderij loopt.

October 2005

Diageo has announced that its 2005 Annual Rare Malts Selection will be the last.

The collection will consist of four cask strenght single malts from closed distilleries; Glen Mhor 28 years old, Millburn 35 years old, Glendullan 26 years old and Linkwood 30 years old.
Dr. Nicholas Morgan, global malts marketing director commented: 'As the Special Releases are now well established, it makes less sence to continue selecting and promoting a parallel series of Rare Malts with his own separate indentity'.
In future, all premium and rare whiskies will be made available in the annual Special Re-leases series.

NORTH  PORT   also see Brechin  ( 1820 - 1928) (1937 - 1983)

1820   David Guthrie founds the distillery and names it Townhead Distillery

1823     David, John and Alexander , three of David Guthrie's sons help their
father with operations
The name is changed to Brechin Distillery
     
1825   Guthrie, Martin & Co is formed to operate the distillery

1922   The distillery is acquired by Distillers Company Limited (D.C.L.) together
with W.H. Holt Ltd

1928   The distillery closes

1937   The distillery is in production again

1939   The distillery changes name from Brechin to North Port

1983   North Port is mothballed

1993   The buildings are demolished

1995   North Port 23 years old and distilled in 1971 is launched as a Rare Malt

1998   North Port 19 years old and distilled in 1979 is launched as a Rare Malt

1999   North Port 20 years old and distilled in 1979 is launched as a Rare Malt

2005   Diageo launches a 28 years old Brechin distilled in 1977 and bottled a t
cask strength as Special Release


Before North Port distillery (or Brechin as it was originally known) was built, the residents of the Angus royal burgh were supplied with whisky by smugglers carrying it south from the north Grampians. The Guthrie family took great pride in their distillery – modern machinery was installed to increase production capacity, though the whisky was distilled in ‘old fashioned’ pot stills and condensed in worm tubs using water from the Den Burn, which ran through the site.

Like the illicit whisky smuggling into Brechin, its water and peat also came from the Grampians, while ‘the very best barley’ was sourced from nearby farms.

North Port’s whisky was never officially bottled as a single malt during its lifetime, although Diageo had it bottled for its Rare Malts series in 1995, 1998 and 1999, as well as under the name ‘Brechin’ for its Special Releases in 2005. In his book The Malt Whisky Companion, whisky writer Michael Jackson described North Port’s whisky as ‘dry, fruity, gin-like. Aperitif’.

NORTH PORT

During the 19th century the principle trade of the town and former royal burgh of Brechin in Angus was textile manufacturing, much of which was exported to France. However Brechin was also home to two breweries and two distilleries – Glencadam, which was built in 1825 by George Cooper, and Brechin distillery, which was founded five years earlier by three of the Guthrie brothers.

David, John and Alexander Guthrie, sons of a local merchant and former provost of the town, established their distillery a half-mile away from the South Esk river under the trading name of Townhead Distillery Co. Three of 13 siblings, the brothers’ venture would not have sat well with their younger brother Dr. Thomas Guthrie, who eventually became renowned as a reverend and staunch supporter of the temperance movement, the roots of which were only very slight at the time.

Still, Brechin distillery prevailed and remained in family ownership for around 100 years. At some point during the 19th century the family changed the distillery’s name to North Port, referencing a nearby gate in the wall that once surrounded the town (Brechin is still a town, despite having a cathedral).

In 1922 the distillery, which could produce 450,000 litres of spirit per year, was bought by Distillers Company Ltd. (DCL) and W.H. Holt & Co. Ltd. It was transferred to DCL’s Scottish Malt Distillers in the same year.

SMD closed North Port in 1928 and aside from a brief airing it remained silent after the Second World War. North Port gained a second wind in the mid-1900s but became one of the nine DCL distilleries to close in 1983 as a response to widespread excess stocks in the market.

The distillery’s buildings were gradually dismantled piece by piece until it was finally demolished in 1994 to make way for a supermarket.

1820
David, John & Alexander Guthrie found Brechin distillery under the company Townhead Distillery Co.
1825
The company name is changed to Guthrie, Martin & Co.
1893
Guthrie, Martin & Co. is incorporated
1922
Brechin (now known as North Port) distillery is acquired by DCL and W.H. Holt, and transferred to SMD
1928
The distillery is mothballed
1937
North Port reopens for two years before a forced closure during the war
1945
North Port reopens and resumes whisky production
1983
DCL closes North Port distillery along with eight others in its portfolio
1994
North Port's buildings are demolished to make way for a supermarket
OWNERS

Diageo
1997 - present
PREVIOUS OWNERS

United Distillers
1986 - 1997
Distillers Company Limited
1922 - 1986
Guthrie, Martin & Co
1825 - 1922
Townhead Distillery Company
1820 - 1825


Before North Port distillery (or Brechin as it was originally known) was built, the residents of the Angus royal burgh were supplied with whisky by smugglers carrying it south from the north Grampians. The Guthrie family took great pride in their distillery – modern machinery was installed to increase production capacity, though the whisky was distilled in ‘old fashioned’ pot stills and condensed in worm tubs using water from the Den Burn, which ran through the site.

Like the illicit whisky smuggling into Brechin, its water and peat also came from the Grampians, while ‘the very best barley’ was sourced from nearby farms.

North Port’s whisky was never officially bottled as a single malt during its lifetime, although Diageo had it bottled for its Rare Malts series in 1995, 1998 and 1999, as well as under the name ‘Brechin’ for its Special Releases in 2005. In his book The Malt Whisky Companion, whisky writer Michael Jackson described North Port’s whisky as ‘dry, fruity, gin-like. Aperitif’.

During the 19th century the principle trade of the town and former royal burgh of Brechin in Angus was textile manufacturing, much of which was exported to France. However Brechin was also home to two breweries and two distilleries – Glencadam, which was built in 1825 by George Cooper, and Brechin distillery, which was founded five years earlier by three of the Guthrie brothers.

David, John and Alexander Guthrie, sons of a local merchant and former provost of the town, established their distillery a half-mile away from the South Esk river under the trading name of Townhead Distillery Co. Three of 13 siblings, the brothers’ venture would not have sat well with their younger brother Dr. Thomas Guthrie, who eventually became renowned as a reverend and staunch supporter of the temperance movement, the roots of which were only very slight at the time.

Still, Brechin distillery prevailed and remained in family ownership for around 100 years. At some point during the 19th century the family changed the distillery’s name to North Port, referencing a nearby gate in the wall that once surrounded the town (Brechin is still a town, despite having a cathedral).

In 1922 the distillery, which could produce 450,000 litres of spirit per year, was bought by Distillers Company Ltd. (DCL) and W.H. Holt & Co. Ltd. It was transferred to DCL’s Scottish Malt Distillers in the same year.

SMD closed North Port in 1928 and aside from a brief airing it remained silent after the Second World War. North Port gained a second wind in the mid-1900s but became one of the nine DCL distilleries to close in 1983 as a response to widespread excess stocks in the market.

The distillery’s buildings were gradually dismantled piece by piece until it was finally demolished in 1994 to make way for a supermarket.

1820
David, John & Alexander Guthrie found Brechin distillery under the company Townhead Distillery Co.
1825
The company name is changed to Guthrie, Martin & Co.
1893
Guthrie, Martin & Co. is incorporated
1922
Brechin (now known as North Port) distillery is acquired by DCL and W.H. Holt, and transferred to SMD
1928
The distillery is mothballed
1937
North Port reopens for two years before a forced closure during the war
1945
North Port reopens and resumes whisky production
1983
DCL closes North Port distillery along with eight others in its portfolio
1994
North Port's buildings are demolished to make way for a supermarket
OWNERS

Diageo logo
CURRENT OWNER

Diageo
1997 - present
PREVIOUS OWNERS

United Distillers
1986 - 1997
Distillers Company Limited
1922 - 1986
Guthrie, Martin & Co
1825 - 1922
Townhead Distillery Company
1820 - 1825

NORTH PORT North Port
DISTILLERY & BRAND
Also known as Brechin, North Port was a family-owned distillery bought out and closed by DCL.
PROFILE
HISTORY
TIMELINE
OWNERS
CONTACT
N
Back to content | Back to main menu