Aberfeldy werd gesticht in 1896 door John Dewar & Sons Ltd, whiskyblenders te Perth.
Dewar huurde land van de Marquis of Breasalbane dat was gelegen op de zuidelijke oever van de rivier Tay.
Er liep een spoorlijn door het land en de Pitilie Burn zorgde voor goed en voldoende water.
Er was eerder al een Aberfeldy op deze plaats, maar deze was een kort leven gegund, evenals een distilleerderij met de naam Pitilie, gesticht in 1825.
Aberfeldy ging in 1898 in produktie met een produktie van 20 Butts per week.
Aberfeldy was altijd in produktie, behalve de periodes tijdens de beide wereldoorlogen.
Auchnagie (1812 - 1912) ook Tulliemet geheten, was in 1890 gekocht door Dewar, maar de produktiekosten daar waren hoog, en Aughnagie werd in 1912 gesloten.
Dewar breidde heel snel oud: tot 1923 werden Royal Lochnagar, Muir of Ord, Old Pulteney, Parkmore (sinds 1931 gesloten) en Benrinnes.
In 1925 gingen Dewar, Walker en Buchanan samen met The Distillers Company Ltd. (D.C.L).
De malt whisky distilleerderijen gingen behoren tot de S.M.D, Scottish Malt Distillers Ltd, de maltdivisie van D.C.L.
De spoorweglijn werd in 1960 gesloten.
Het ketelhuis werd in 1972 - 1973 opnieuwe gebouwd, met gebruik van de stenen van het oude ketelhuis.
Aberfeldy heeft vier met stoom verhitte ketels met een mogelijke produktie van 1,3 miljoen liter spirit per jaar.
Met dë fusie tussen Guinness en Grand Metropolitan in 1997, komen onder andere het whis-merk Dewar en vier Schotse distilleerderijen, Aberfeldy, Aultmore, Craigellachie en Royal B rackla in het bezit van Bacardi Martini.
In 2000 werd het bezoekerscentrum 'Dewar's World of Whisky' geopend, op de plek waar eerst de moutvloeren waren.
Naast Aberfeldy staat de originele Barclay's stoomlocomotief uit 1939, de Dailuaine No. 1 vroeger in gebruik om kolen en gerst naar de distilleerder!j te vervoeren, en vaten met whisky af te voeren.
Het water komt van de Pitilie Burn. Men gebruikt Schotse gerst .De computergestuurde Mash tun is 6,8 ton, de washbacks zijn van Siberisch larikshout en hebben elk een inhoud van 34.000 liter
De twee Wash stills hebben een inhoud van elk 17.000 liter, de twee Spirit stills elk 14.000 liter. Er worden zowel Amerikaanse als Spaanse eikenhouten gebruikt voor de lagering.
John Dewar & Sons Ltd., Scotch whisky blenders, of Perth, took a feu of 12 acres (5 hectares) from the Marquis of Breadalbane in 1896, for the purpose of building a distillery. The location was about a mile from Aberfeldy, just above the road to Perth and on the south bank of the Tay. The branch railway from Aberfeldy to the main line to Perth ran through the site, so it was easy to bring in a private siding. The Pitilie burn, which had supplied a distillery of that name until 1867, provided an abundant source of suitable water. This was the crucial advantage.
Aberfeldy Distillery, opened in 1898, was efficiently planned on spacious lines and solidly built from good materials. Its equipment included a steam engine and a water turbine for power, with electricity produced by a private generator. The duty-free warehouse was equipped with a hydraulic lift. Distillation began in 1898 with an output of about 20 butts per week.
The original John Dewar had been born, the son of crofter parents, about two miles from Aberfeldy. He had worked there as a joiner in partnership with an elder brother, but the asso-ciation did not prosper. A relative who owned a flourishing wine and spirit business in Perth offered him a job and eventually a partnership. In 1846 he set up in Perth on his own account as a wholesale wine and spirit merchant. His first traveller was appointed in 1860: the beginning of the decade when enterprising wine and spirit merchants began to bottle distinctive brands of blended whisky under their own labels as a guarantee of quality. By 1870 Dewar's were getting orders from Inverness in the North to Edinburgh in the South.
One of John Dewar's sons, John Alexander, became a partner in 1879, a year before the founder died. Another son, T.R. Dewar, was made a partner in 1885, when the firm was named John Dewar & Sons Ltd. Tommy Dewar opened the firm's first London office in 1887 and five years later embarked on a tour of the world, lasting two years, in the course of which he appointed 32 agents in 26 countries. His business philosophy was indicated by the genial message printed on a card that he took from his pocket in appropriate circumstances: "I have given up lending money for some time. But I don't mind having a drink. Make it Dewar's".
The growth of Dewar's sales, first in Scotland, then in England, and finally overseas, entailed a commensurate increase in their purchases of malt whiskies. In 1894 the firm built a new headquarters, adjoining the North British Railway's goods station, from which a private siding led into their premises. This siding, according to Dewar's records, "proved an immense boon in the despatch and receipt of goods". There was consequently a door-to-door railway link from Aberfeldy Distillery to Dewar's warehouses in Perth, without the expense of cartage at either end. Tullymet Distillery, near Ballinluig, which Dewar's had taken on lease nine years before they built Aberfeldy Distillery to their own specification, was closed in 1910, because the cost of making whisky there was so high.
The Government decided in June 1917 that all malt whisky distilleries should close in the interests of conserving barley for foodstuffs. They did not reopen until March 1919. The loss of two years' production resulted in a shortage of whisky stocks that lasted for many years. Between 1919 and 1923 Dewar's acquired sole interests in seven malt whisky distilleries.
Dewar's, together with John Walker & Sons Ltd. and James Buchanan & Co. Ltd., amalgamated with The Distillers Company Limited in 1925, as a means of ensuring adequate supplies of malt and grain whiskies to all the parties. The directors of the enlarged Distillers Company Limited included J.A. Dewar, now Lord Forteviot, and T. R. Dewar, now Lord Dewar. All malt whisky dis-tilleries owned by companies in the Group were transferred to the ownership of Scottish Malt Distillers Ltd., another subsidiary, in 1930.
The allocation of cereals for distilling purposes was severely restricted during the second world war. Aberfeldy, in common with most malt whisky distilleries, had to close down. After it restarted in March 1945, supplies of barley, coal and casks were again delivered by rail, and outgoing consignments of whisky wereloaded straight on to railway waggons, until the branch line to Aberfeldy was closed in the 1960's.
The withdrawal of statutory building controls allowed SMD, from 1960 onwards, to embark on a long-term programme of rebuilding and re-equipping many of its distilleries. Aberfeldy's two hand-fired stills were replaced in 1960 with exact copies of their predecessors, converted to a mechanical coal stoker system. The stillhouse and tunroom were rebuilt, with the re-use of the original stonework, in 1972-73. This extension to the old building houses four stills, internally heated by steam.
A plant for the production of dark grains, a high-protein animal feedingstuff, from the solid matter left over from the mashing and distillation processes, was also built in 1973 and accommodated in the former malt kiln.
The site covers 17 acres (7 hectares) on both sides of the River Tay. A biological treatment plant, adjacent to the distillery, treats all effluent before discharge to the river. The quality of this effluent is carefully monitored to meet the strict standards required by the Tay River Purification Board.
The distiller's licence is held by John Dewar & Sons Ltd., of Perth, proprietors of Dewar's, White Label, Dewar's de Luxe and Dewar's Pure Malt Scotch Whiskies.
THE RED SQUIRREL (Sciurus Vulgaris)
If you ever visit the Aberfeldy distillery, look out for our colony of red squirrels that live along the Nature Trail.behind the distillery.
One of the best-loved inhabitants of Scotland's pine forests, the red is now threatened across much of its range. Accordingly, we have adopted the red squirrel as our distillery mascot and provide nesting boxes and other initiatives to help this beautiful little animal.
We are working with Perth & Kinross Squirrel Wildlife Group to promote awareness of the red squirrel and conservation work including habitat management for red squirrels. This includes population counts and an assessment of the impact of the grey squirrel on local population
The Worts from one Wash Back are split between the two Wash Stills, the Stills are then staggered to provide balanced production. When the Wash is visible through the Watch Glass, the Stills are turned off for approximately 15 minutes before the liquid is brough tin via a condenser.The new make has a grassy character.
In 2005 an Evaporator Plant was installed to transform the Pot Ale into Syrup for anima lFeed. From Oban Distillery 120.000 litres of Pot Ale per week is also brought in to Aberfeldy.
Water Source: Pitilie Burn - River Tay
Malting Capacity: No malting on site
Malt Source: Simpsons
Malt Storage Capacity: 116 t = 4 bins - 1 load per bin
Mill Type: Porteous 4, roll mill = 7,5 tonnes of grist
Grist Storage: 1 = 7,5 tonne
Mash Tun Construction: Stainless full lauter
Number of Wash Backs: 8 Siberian Larch, 2 Stainless Steel
Wash Back Capacity: 33.500 litres
Yeast:Liquid l / Kerry Bio - Science
No. of Wash Stills: 2
Wash Still Charge: 16.600 litres
Heat Source:Steam Coil and heaters
Wash Still Shape: Onion
No. of Spirit Stills: 2
Spirit Still Charge:15.000 litres
Heat Source: Steam Coil and heaters
Spirit Still Shape: Onion
Cask Storage Capacity: None
Current (2010) Annual Distillery Output: 2.4 million litres
Output: 3.500.000 litres
2 wash stills 17.000 litres
2 spirit stills 14.000 litres
Our handsome distillery is sited on the river Tay in the Central Highlands of Scotland, a stone's throw from the birthplace of our founder, and Pioneer of Blending John Dewar.
With land acquired from the Marquis of Breadalbane and architecture designed by Charles Doig, the distillery rose up to begin production in 1898.
In John's Bonnie Hometown of Aberfeldy, his family found men who knew the secrets of superb whisky. Today, we still use time - honoured techniques like long fermentationto conjure rare honeyed notes, and draw water from the Pitilie Burn, renowed for its quality and promise of gold
The pool of The Water God
The Pitilie Burn
The burn is the source of The Distillery's water, pure and fresh the Burn is known to contain deposits of alluvial gold
We lose our fair share to the angels, almost a third of every cask has disappeared into the ether before we'r ready to bottle.
Mellowed for 12 years in handmade oak casks. This smooth, sweet dram offers rich rewards for those who like to dig deeper.
Scottish alchemy: turning water, barley and yeast into liquid gold is simpler when the stream tumbling towards you contains that precious metal.
Built on land famous for deposits of gold, our distillery has welcomed travellers to taste its treasure since 1898.
Scottish alchemy:turning water, barley and yeast into liquid gold is simpler when the stream tumbling towards you contains that precious metal. Built on land famous for deposits of gold, our distillery has welcomed travel-
lers to taste its treasure since 1898.
Just outside the town of Aberfeldy, General Wade's Bridge stands as a monument to a man so feted in his day that a special verse of the National Anthem was written in his honeur.
Between 1725 and 1737 Wade ensured that English troops could move easily around the rebellious Highlands by building roads and bridges of which the Tay Bridge at Aberfeldy is the most magnificent by far.
He also raised a local militia that became the Black Watch Regiment and tried to win over Clan Chiefs whose loyalty lay by the King.
On the other side of Aberfeldy, the handsome distillery built in 1898 by Alexander and Tommy Dewar, collects water as it timbles down the Pitillie Burn on its way to the Tay. This water, which contains traces of gold
is there transformed into the mellow. honeyed golden dram that bears the town's name. There could be no more fitting monument to their father and our founder, John Dewar.