46 % Distilled February 1965 Bottled March 1985 Proprietors: James Buchanan & Co, Ltd. Wm. Cadenhead, 18 Golden Square, Aberdeen
geen leeftijd vermelding
40 % Distilled: 1979 Trademark of Proprietors: Allied Distillers Limited Gordon & Macphail, Elgin
11 years old
43% Distilled March 1985 Bottled April 1996 Genummerde flessen 96 bottles the dram good whisky co, ltd, edinburgh
11 years old
43 % Distilled 27 march 1985 Bottled 24 October 1996 Cask no. 1647 168 Genummerde flessen Usquebach Society, Holland
GLENTAUCHERS 11 years old 40 % Distilled: 1990 Bottled: 2001 Trademark of Proprietors Allied Distillers Limited Gordon & Macphail, Elgin
GLENTAUCHERS - GLENLIVET
24 years old
57,5 %INFO Speyside AUTHENTIC COLLECTION Cask Strenght distilled 1977 Bottled October 2001 Cask: Bourbon Hogshead No. of Bottles: 276 Distillery: Working Wm. Cadenhead, Campbeltown, Argyll
15 years old
56.0 % INFO SINGLE CASK SCOTCH MALT WHISKY Date Distilled: Dec 89 Date Bottled: Apr 05 Outturn 190 Bottles Society Cask Code 63.15 The Scotch Malt Whisky Society, The Vaults, Leith, Edinburgh 'Pollen and monkey blood'
Aged 16 years
46 % THE NC 2 RANGE Single Malt Scotch Whisky Speyside Region Unique Whiskies of Distinction D.T.C. Fons et Origo Distilled 1990 Bottled 2007 No Chill Filtering or Colourings Duncan Taylor & Co, Ltd, Huntly, Aberdeenshire
Aged 20 years
54.9%INFO SINGLE MALT SCOTCH WHISKY FROM A SINGLE CASK Society Single Cask No: 63.25 Distilled Dec.1989 Cask type: Refill Barrel / ex Bourbon Outturn 211 bottles The Scotch Malt Whisky Society, The Vaults, Leith, Edinburgh "the magic of flowers"
1 9 9 1 18 years old
43 % Speyside Single Malt Scotch Whisky Trademark of Proprietors: Allied Distillers Limited Distilled: 1991 Bottled: 2009 Specially Selected Produced and Bottled by and under the responsibility of Gordon & Macphail, Elgin
46 % CARN MOR STRICTLY LIMITED Scotch Single malt Whisky "Speyside" Distilled Glentauchers Distillery Matured in Bourbon Barrel Casks Distilled Februari 1996 Bottled Maart 2014 A strictly limited bottling of only 443 Bottles from 2 Casks 1 of only 118 Bottles INTERNATIONAL WHISKY SOCIETY Product of Scotland Bottled by Morrison & Mackay Whisky Merchants
GLENTAUCHERS INFO Founded 1898 VINTAGE 1 9 9 6
43 % Speyside Single Malt Scotch Whisky Distilled 1996 Bottled 2015 Trademark of Proprietors: Allied Distillers Limited Specially selected, produced and bottled by and under the responsibility of Gordon & Macphail, Elgin. Regd. Bottler The Worlds Leading Malt Whisky Specialist
Since 1895 Gordon & Macphail has worked with the majority of Scotland's distilleries and today matured, selects and bottles some of the world's finest and rarest Single malt Scotch Whiskies.
Glentauchers, founded in 1898 was started as a joint venture between James Buchanan, the creator of the "Black & White" and "Buchanan's blends and W.P. Lowrie.
The distillery was designed by local architect John Alcock.
Sherry influences with pear and stewed plum aromas, a hint of liquorice develops. The palate has chilli spice with orange zest, red apple and kiwi flavours.
GLENTAUCHERS VINTAGE 1 9 9 6 THE ULTIMATE SINGLE MALT SCOTCH WHISKY 19 years old
46 % Speyside Single Malt Scotch Whisky Distilled: 06/02/96 Matured in a Bourbon Barrel Cask no: 1401 Bottled: 04/06/15 Numbered Bottles Natural Colour Non Chill Filtered Selected by The Ultimate Whisky Company. NL
Highland Malt Speyside GLENTAUCHERS (1898
Mulben, Banffshire. Licentiehouder: James Buchanan & Co, Ltd. Onderdeel van Scottish Malt Distillers Ltd. Eigendom van Guinness. De eerste steen voor Glentauchers werd gelegd op 29 Mei 1897. Het mouten begon in Mei en het brouwen in Juni 1898. The Glentauchers Distillery Co was een gezamelijke onderneming van James Buchanan te Londen en W.P. Lowrie te Glasgow. Buchanan voor zichzelf begonnen in 1884 bracht zijn eerste blend uit en werd daarbij geholpen door Lowrie. De machinerie van Glentauchers werd door waterkracht in beweging gebracht. Buchanan bracht zijn blend uit op een heel goed moment, de whiskymarkt explodeerde, en zijn eerste blend Buchanan's blend was een onmiddelijk succes. Toen Glentauchers werd gebouwd was Buchanan, samen met Dewar en Walker één van de 'Big Three' whiskyhuizen. De twee Schotse terriers op het etiket van zijn Black & White was een eigen uitvinding, Binnen een jaar had Buchanan zijn schuld aan Lowrie terugbetaald. Als gevolg van het eindigen van de whiskyboom, ingeluid door het frauduleus bankroet op 7 December 1898 van de blenders Pattison, kwam Lowrie, net als zoveel anderen, in moeilij kneden. Buchanan hielp zijn vriend en zakenpartner, en nam Lowrie over, en ook de Glentauchers distilleerderij. In 1910 werd te Glentauchers geëxperimenteerd met het produceren van malt whisky in een patent still.
Buchanan had begin 1900 vijf malt distilleerderijen: Glentauchers, Dalwhinnie, Convalmore, Bankier, (in de Lowlands) en Lochruan (in Campbeltown).
In 1915 fuseerden Buchanan en Dewar. In 1925 fuseerden Buchanan en Dewar en anderen met de Distillers Company Ltd. Glentaiuchers werd onderdeel van Scottish Malt Distillers Ltd. In 1925 ging Glentauchers zijn eigen stroom opwekken. In 1955 werd een stoommachine geeinstalleerd om de uitbreiden distilleerderij van kracht te voorzien en in 1958 werd Glentauchers op het electriciteitsnet aangesloten. In 1963 kwamen er twee ketels bij, en werden de ketels met stoom verhit. Ook de mout-vloeren verdwenen in dat jaar. In 1965 kwamen er vier ketels bij. Glentauchers was gesloten van 1985 tot 1989. In Augustus 1989 koopt Allied Domecq Glentauchers.
Caldonian Malt Whisky Distillers Limited bezit vier distilleerderijen: Laphroaig, The Glendronach, The Tormore, Miltonduff, Scapa en Balblair.
Vier single malt whiskies werden korte tijd uitgebracht naar het voorbeeld van de Classic Malts van United Distillers: Miltonduff 12 years old, The Tormore 10 years old, The Glendronach 'Traditional' en Laphroaig 10 years old.
Overige distilleerderijen van de groep zijn: Glenburgie, Glencadam (Old) Pulteney, Imperial, Ardmore en Ardbeg.
In Juni 1995 wordt (01d)Püliteney verkocht aan Inver House, in Februari 1996 wordt Balblair gesloten en ook verkocht aan Inver House.
Het water komt van Rosarie Burn. De Mash tun is 11.9 ton. De zes Wash backs hebben een inhoud van 60.000 liter elk. De drie Wash stills hebben elk een inhoud van 17.875 liter, de Spirit stills elk 14.700 liter en worden met stoom verhit. De capaciteit van Glentauchers is 2.50.000 liter spirit per jaar.
Allied Distillers Februari 2003 Dumbarton Distillery sluit. Het komplex waar ook het hoofdkantoor van Allied was gevestigd, hergde ook de Dumbarton Grain distilleerderij, en ook werden de malt whiskies Lomond, waarvan slechts één botteling bekend is, uitgebracht door de Scotch Malt Whisky Society, The Vaults, Leith, Edinburgh onder code nummer 98.1, en Inverleven. 4 -De capaciteit van de Grain distilleerderij Strathclyde wordt vergroot tot 39 miljoen liter spirit per jaar, dat was 32 miljoen liter. Het hoofdkantoor wordt gevestigd te Kilmalid. Het enorme gebouwencomplex is verkocht aan twee projectontwikkelaars.
Glentauchers is located three miles from Keith, on the road to Craigellachie, between open farmland and the edge of Craigellachie Forest. The foundation stone was laid on 29 May 1897, on one of the fields of Tauchers Farm, close to the railway line between Aberdeen and Inverness, from which a siding was brought into the site. The buildings, described by the Banffshire Herald as "substantial and commodious", were designed by an architect in Keith, John Alcock. They were laid out in the form of a square, and connected by double iron doors for protection against fire. The supply of water was admirably suitable for the production of whisky, and so plentiful that it could be used for power, thereby avoiding the cost of a steam engine. All machinery was originally turned by a turbine driven by water piped from a dam, three acres in extent,from which there was a fall of 28 feet. The distillery was completed, and fully equipped, within twelve months. Malting began in May, and brewing in June, of 1898. The Glentauchers Distillery Co. was a private partnership, the principals of which were James Buchanan, of London, a whisky merchant, and W.P. Lowrie, of Glasgow, the stockholder who supplied him. In 1884, Buchanan had set up his own company, financed by credits from Lowrie, to sell his first brand, The Buchanan Blend. The launch was well timed, because total production of Scotch whisky approximately doubled over the next decade. By the time that Glentauchers was opened James Buchanan & Co. had become one of the "Big Three" whisky houses along with Dewar's and Walker's. When Lowrie retired, he sold a majority shareholding in his blending and bottling company, and his share in Glentauchers Distillery Co., to Buchanan. Many years later, James Buchanan wrote about the first decisive step in his career. "Sometimes I marvel at the supreme self-confidence that upheld me - a young man without capital and practically no knowledge of the business I was embarking in ... The extraordinary thing is that the possibility of failure never once occurred to me. I had it always before me in my mind that sooner or later I was bound to make a success". He was sustained, although of course he did not say so, by an extraordinary capacity for making friends, and by a genius for salesmanship. Tall, slim and elegantly dressed, he attracted attention as he drove to and from his offices in the City, right in the shadow of the Mansion House. Originally, in the words of an associate, he drove "a very striking black pony and red-wheeled buggy, while seated behind was a spruce, dapper 'tiger' or page of perfect poise and deportment". Later he used a victoria and a brougham, "drawn by a particularly fine grey mare, or at other times a blue roan whose action and qualities were superb". Many stories, some based on fact, some mythical, were told about his techniques of brand promotion; but he himself attributed his success to his understanding of the minds, and the needs, of major customers.
At the end of his life, his youthful self-confidence had been marvellously vindicated. He had created a world-famous brand of Scotch whisky, Black & White, had been raised to the peerage as Lord Woolavington, had twice won the Derby, with Captain Cuttle and Coronach, owned estates in four continents, and had given enormous sums to hospitals and charitable causes. When he died, in his 86th year, he left over seven million pounds. James Buchanan & Co., with other major Scotch whisky blenders, merged its interests within an enlarged Distillers Company Limited in 1925. Ownership of Glentauchers eventually passed to Scottish Malt Distillers Ltd., a DCL subsidiary. Extensive alterations and improvements to the makings and the mash-house had been made, and a large new spirit store had been built to the designs of Charles Doig & Son, Elgin, between 1923 and 1925. The stillhouse and receiver room were then described as "splendidly equipped". The whole of the premises was lighted by electricity and power for machinery was supplied by a water-turbine of 12 h.p. There was also a horizontal steam engine of 16 h.p. for stand-by pur-poses.Glentauchers was closed from 1939 to 1946 as a result of wartime restrictions on the supply of barley. By 1955, the horizontal steam engine was the motive force for all the machinery in the distillery and the makings. A smaller vertical steam engine drove the electric light generator and there were two turbines, one drawing water from the "big dam" and the other from the lower dam. The distillery was connected to the national grid in 1958, but used the supply at first only for lighting purposes. The steam engines and turbines were replaced by electric power at a later date. The two stills, previously heated by coal-burning furnaces, were converted to internal heating by steam in 1963. The still-house, mash-house and tunroom were completely rebuilt in 1965-66, when the number of stills was increased to six. Springs in the hills provide the water supply for all purposes. Their outflow is collected in two dams south of the road to Keith. The licensed distillers are James Buchanan & Co. Ltd., blenders of Black & White, The Bu-chanan Blend and Buchanan's Reserve.
Glentauchers’ make has always gone into blends which lie on the lighter side of the flavour spectrum, initially Buchanan’s and Black & White, and these days Ballantine’s. Accordingly, the set up – long ferments, slow distillation – has always been one where flowers have been preferred to earthy weight.
Another member of the ‘1890s gang’, Glentauchers was established in 1898 by James Buchanan & Co. to provide fillings for its Buchanan’s and Black & White blends.
Experiments in ‘continuous pot still distillation’ were trialed here (and at Convalmore) at the start of the 20th century. This involved running a 100% barley mash through an adapted pot still. Production was upped considerably in 1966 when the number of stills increased from the original pair to half a dozen.
Glentauchers was one of the many distilleries which fell foul of the slump in demand in the early 1980s and was mothballed in 1895. It was, somewhat surprisingly at the time, snapped up by one of Diageo’s rivals, Allied Distillers, in 1989 [the Allied estate became part of Chivas Brothers in 2005] when it became a named component of Ballantine’s, although the firm didn’t restart production until 1992.
It is not commonly seen other than as a bottling from Gordon & MacPhail
Glentauchers is established by James Buchanan & Co and WP Laurie
The distillery is incorporated as the Glentauchers-Glenlivet Distillery Co
James Buchanan & Co takes over company ownership
Glentauchers begins experimenting with continuous pot distillation
James Buchanan & Co merges with DCL
A considerable investment sees the stills extended from two to six
The distillery is closed at a time of low sales for Scotch whisky
One of the famed ‘Whisky Barons’ of the late 19th century, James Buchanan overcame ill-health to make his blends some of the most popular in the world, amassing a huge fortune matched only by his legacy to the world of Scotch whisky.
The term ‘Whisky Barons’ is often loosely applied to the individuals who made their fortunes during the blended Scotch whisky boom of the second half of the 19th century, and who were ultimately recipients of honours from a grateful nation.
One such Baron was James Buchanan, whose name is inextricably linked with the Black & White blend which he created. Although elusive in the domestic market, more mature consumers have fond memories of its label, depicting a black ‘Scotty’ dog and a White ‘Westie’. Indeed, the story goes that Buchanan was inspired to use this image while returning home from a dog show.
James Buchanan was born in 1849 in Rockville, Ontario, Canada, where his parents Alexander and Catherine had emigrated, though much of his childhood was spent at Larne, on the Antrim coast of Northern Ireland, where his father was employed as a quarry manager,
Despite ill-health as a child, Buchanan began to work for Glasgow shipping agent William Sloan & Co at the age of 14, serving as office boy and then clerk. He then joined his brother William’s Glasgow-based grain business, before taking his first steps in the world of whisky as London-based agent for Charles Mackinlay & Co from 1879.
In their book The Making of Scotch Whisky, Michael S Moss and John R Hume describe Buchanan’s career with Mackinlay as ‘…short and unsuccessful’, but he fared rather better after forming James Buchanan & Co in 1884, aided by Glasgow blender William Lowrie, who initially provided Buchanan with his bespoke blend. Just a year after establishing his own company, The Buchanan Blend was being supplied to the Houses of Parliament.
Photographs of James Buchanan from this period show an elegant and immaculately dressed figure, and he shared a flair for publicity with fellow would-be whisky barons such as Tommy Dewar, being driven in a red-wheeled carriage, complete with liveried footman. Like Dewar, he was also quick to see the potential in advertising his whisky, first taking out newspaper adverts in 1887.
James Buchanan, Vanity Fair
Dapper gent: Buchanan was well-dressed, as this cartoon from Vanity Fair shows
Sales grew dramatically on a global basis, with Buchanan establishing what ultimately became known as the Black & White blend as a smooth, refined, well-matured whisky with a relatively high malt content.
The blend required supplies of quality malt whisky to fuel its expansion, and in 1897 James Buchanan & Co Ltd combined with old associates WP Lowrie & Co Ltd to form the Glentauchers-Glenlivet Distillery Company. A distillery was constructed at Mulben, near the Speyside distilling town of Keith, with production commencing in June 1898.
That same year, Buchanan received Royal Warrants to supply whisky to Queen Victoria, the Prince of Wales and the Duke of York and, when Buchanan & Co became a limited company five years later, James Buchanan was worth £750,000. By 1909, his whisky was the best-selling blend in England.
The early years of the 20th century saw Buchanan open offices in Paris, New York, Hamburg and Buenos Aires as the blend continued to flourish. In 1906, he bought WP Lowrie & Co and proceeded to make their Glasgow blending operation much more efficient. The following year, he invested in the North British Bottle Manufacturing Company and purchased the Acme Tea Chest Company.
Such was the ongoing success of Buchanan’s business that, in 1915, James Buchanan & Co Ltd merged with John Dewar & Sons Ltd, creating a company ultimately known as Buchanan-Dewar Ltd.
In 1922, the company acquired the Benrinnes-Glenlivet distillery near Aberlour, and by that time it already owned 11 Scottish distilleries, including Port Ellen, Royal Lochnagar, Aultmore, Dalwhinnie and Convalmore. Buchanan-Dewar Ltd became part of the Distillers Company Ltd (DCL) empire in 1925.
James Buchanan soon ceased to play an active part in the company’s affairs, having been plagued by ill-health all his life. He swapped the commercial world for the life of an English country gentleman, purchasing the Lavington Park estate near Petworth in Sussex, where he bred cattle and sheep, and established a successful thoroughbred stud.
Buchanan’s horses twice won the Epsom Derby and St Leger ‘classics’, with Hurry On landing the 1916 St Leger, while Captain Cuttle took the 1922 Derby and Coronach scored in both the Derby and St Leger of 1926.
Black & White whisky advert
Canine charm: Buchanan is said to have created Black & White after attending a dog show
In addition to Lavington Park, Buchanan owned land in Kenya and Argentina and, in partnership with Lord Aberdeen, operated a 20,000-acre fruit farm in British Columbia. Back home, he was appointed High Sheriff of Sussex in 1910, and was elected as a member of the Jockey Club in 1927.
James Buchanan became Sir James Buchanan in 1920, then was elevated to the peerage as Baron Woolavington two years later in the New Year’s Honours List.
Officially, the baronetcy was a reward for Buchanan’s undoubtedly extensive charitable activities – in the best traditions of his time, he was a generous philanthropist – but he also allegedly paid £50,000 to Lloyd George’s government in return for his honour. Lloyd George was known to view the honours system as a useful means of raising revenue, so the story may well be true.
Buchanan was nothing if not shrewd, however, and reputedly signed his cheque with the name ‘Woolavington’, dating it 2 January – the day after the title was officially to be announced – so that no payment would be made unless the promised baronetcy was forthcoming.
Buchanan had married Annie Eliza Pounder, a widow 13 years his junior, in 1891, and their only son died in infancy. This meant that, when Buchanan died in August 1935 at the age of 85, the baronetcy became extinct, although the couple also had a daughter, Catherine. Buchanan’s estate was worth in excess of £7m, or more than £450m in today’s terms.
His legacy to the world of Scotch whisky was equally significant. By insisting that his whiskies should be well-aged and have a significant malt content, James Buchanan did much to make blended Scotch both popular and respectable, and played a leading role in helping it to become a drink for the world.
2017 Ballantines launched 3 Single Malt Whiskies; Glenburgie 15 years old 40 %, Miltonduff 15 years old 40 % and Glentauchers 15 years old 40 %.
Glentauchers Distillery (1991) 56.8% ABV
Gordon & MacPhail Connoisseurs Choice Collection November 2018
Distilled: Thursday, 20 June, 1991
Bottled: Thursday, 6 September, 2018
Years old: 27
Cask No.: 6943
Cask Type: First fill Sherry butt
Outturn: 473 bottles
Connoisseurs Choice Tasting Notes :
Aroma: Polished oak and twists of fresh orange join aromas of stewed forest fruits: blackcurrant and blackberry, subtle sherry and demerara sugar notes linger.
Taste: Well-rounded; warming cinnamon and nutmeg evolve into roasted coffee bean and creamy chocolate flavours, tangy orange marmalade, the heart of the dram, persists throughout.
Finish: A perfect winter dram, coffee and chocolate develop into mature oak.
Personal tasting notes Official sample provided by Gordon & MacPhail
Nose: A nice balance of oak polished with finest beeswax, autumnal fruits macerated in subtle sherry and maple syrup notes, with a hint of tangy orange peel and a whiff of wood smoke.
Taste: Warming Christmas spices combines with tangy orange marmalade while the character of the sherry makes its presence felt. Later mocha and chocolate flavours develop to add a creaminess punctuated by the lingering presence of the zesty orange with just a hint of smoke.
Finish: Lengthy lingering undercurrents of mature wood define the finish.
A pleasing, well-rounded dram: the epitome of a winter toddy