46% THE UN - CHILLFILTERED COLLECTION Closed Distillery Distilled on: 22nd October 1981 Matured in a Sherry Butt Cask No. 1341 Bottled 17th May 2001 785 bottles Signatory Vintage Scotch Whisky Co, Ltd, Edinburgh
30 years old
40% CONNOISSEURS CHOICE Distilled 1972 Bottled 2002 Proprietors: J. & G. Stewart Ltd Gordon & Macphail, Elgin
Aged 36 years
INFO SIGNATORY VINTAGE
1970 CASK STRENGTH COLLECTION Speyside Single Malt Scotch Whisky Distilled on: 13/01/1970 Bottled on: 14/03/2006 Matured in a Wine Treated Puncheon Cask No: 00/1142 233 Numered Bottles Natural Colour Signatory Vintage Scotch Whisky
1 9 8 1
INFO 27 years old
43 % CONNOISSEURS CHOICE SPEYSIDE SINGLE MALT SCOTCH WHISKY Distillation Date: 1981 Cask Type: Refill Sherry Hogshead Bottling Date: 2008 Proprietors: J & G Stewart Ltd Gordon & Macphail, Elgin
COLEBURNINFO Estd. 1896 41 years old
46 % GORDON & MACPAIL RARE OLD A Special Single Malt Scotch Whisky Distilled: 1972 Lot No: R O / 13 / 06 Only 214 Bottles Bottled 2013 Natural Colour Non Chill Filtered Selected, matured and bottled by Gordon & Macphail, Elgin
. Gebouwd in1896in opdracht vanJohn Robertson & Sons Ltd,whiskyblenders teDundeeop land dat deel uitmaakt van het landgoedColeburn.Architekt wasCharles Chree Doig (1855 - 1918) . Reden voor vestiging hier was de aanwezigheid van voldoende water van heel goede kwaliteit en deGlen Burnvoor waterkracht en koelwater en ook deGreat North of Scotland Railwaylag vlakbij. John Grantwas de eerste manager en zou dit dertig jaar blijven.
Coleburnwerd in1916overgenomen doorClynelish Distillery Co, Ltd,waarin,The Distillers Company Ltd, John Walker & Sons LtdenJohn Risk, de vroegere eigenaar vanClynelishelk voor een derde deel eigenaar waren.
Na het samengaan van D.C.L. met de 'Big Three', James Buchanan & Co, Ltd, (Black & White), John Dewar & Sons Ltd, (White Label)enJohn Walker & Sons Ltdin1925, bekend als de'Big Amalgamation',ging het eigendom vanColeburnover in handen vanScottish Malt Distillers Ltd,in1930.
Coleburnwerd aangesloten op het electriciteitsnet op25 April 1950.De spoorweglijn werd opgeheven in1966.Coleburnheefttwee met stoom verhitte ketels.Tot aan de sluiting in 1985wasJ. & G. Stewart Ltd, Edinburghde licentiehouders. October 2005 Diageohas announced that its2005 Annual Rare Malts Selectionwill be the last. The collection will consist of four cask strenght single malts from closed distilleries;Glen Mhor 28 years old, Millburn 35 years old, Glendullan 26 years old and Linkwood 30 years old. Dr. Nicholas Morgan, global malts marketing director commented: 'As theSpecial Releasesare now well established, it makes less sence to continue selecting and promoting a parallel series ofRare Maltswith his own separate indentity'.In future, all premium and rare whiskies will be made available in the annualSpecial Releasesseries.
The distillery was built in 1896 by John Robertson & Sons Ltd., whisky blenders, of Dundee, on part of the Coleburn estate, about six miles south of Elgin. The site, a strip of level ground in the Glen of Rothes, had access to a spring of water well suited to the production of whisky, and the Glen Burn provided an abundant supply for power and cooling. A branch of the Great North of Scotland Railway ran nearby. The railway company, which had a particular interest in developing distillery traffic, built a goods station, with ample accommodation for sidings, to serve Coleburn. Plans for provisional approval were submitted by the architect in November 1895. Charles Doig, an experienced distillery engineer, had no difficulty in gaining approval for the plant. The first problem turned out to be the provision of suitable lavatory accommodation for the excise office. This took eighteen months to resolve. There were also objections to the site of the excise officer's house, because it was below the level of the public road, encumbered with boulders and isolated by woodland. These objections were met by the distiller undertaking to drain the ground, remove the boulders, clear the woodland and build cottages for employees a short distance away. Faults were then found with the plans for the house itself, followed by prolonged delay in its completion. The Collector of Inland Revenue allowed the distiller to begin working in January 1897 on the understanding that the house was almost ready. In the meantime, he reported, the excise officer had to lodge with the distillery manager, "there being no other lodgings available in that wild neighbourhood". As the manager was "a very respectable man", the Collector did not "apprehend that any harm will result from the circumstances." And, "when the little matters in the house are finished", he wrote four months later, "I think that the officer will be remarkably well fixed in many ways, but he seems to be a trifle hard to please". Coleburn was built in warm-coloured Morayshire sandstone, and roofed with blue Welsh slates. The owners described its appearance as plain, business-like and yet picturesque. "Faced on one side by a....plantation of Scotch firs and birches, and swept by the cool mountain breezes of Brown Muir", it was located "in a snug corner shut off from the surrounding country... complete in itself, compact and clean with a cleanliness that can only be attained in Highland air." The Moray & Nairn Express published a description in April, observing prophetically: "if de-pression awaits distilling in the future, there can be no doubt that distilleries provided with such exceptional railway facilities as Coleburn will possess a great advantage over others.
While most distilleries have the expense of cartage to face, some of them over many miles, here at Coleburn the waggons are situated close to the distillery buildings, and loaded or unloaded with very little delay or trouble. The economy of this arrangement is obvious. Apart from this, the buildings at Coleburn seem to be constructed with an eye to the saving of labour." The main source of power was a compound steam engine of 30 h.p. A water wheel, located underground, could be used as an alternative. John Grant, "a man of large practical knowledge and proficiency", was the manager. He remained in charge for at least thirty years. Coleburn was acquired in 1916 by the Clynelish Distillery Co. Ltd. This company was owned in three equal shares by The Dis tillers Company Limited, of Edinburgh, John Walker & Sons Ltd., of Kilmarnock, and John Risk, the former owner of Clynelish. After The Distillers Company amalgamated with Walker's and other major whisky blending companies, the ownership of Cole-burn was transferred to a subsidiary, Scottish Malt Distillers Ltd., in 1930. Two steam engines were working at Coleburn in 1947. The main engine, one of 30 h.p., built by McFarlane & Machan, was the source of power for the malt mill and the stirring gear in the mash tun. An auxiliary Marshall engine drove the machinery in the malt barns, the wash-back switchers and the pumps in the stillhouse. The original water wheel was no longer there, but a small one, fed by the overflow from the worm tubs, drove the rummager in the wash still. Electric light was generated by a Maudsley Rota dynamo, driven by a Ruston & Hornsby crude oil engine of 10 h.p. There was also a standby engine of 7 h.p. by the same maker. All of these engines became redundant when the distillery was connected with the electric grid on 25 April 1950. The stable and cart-shed were converted into a cottage in 1947-48. The two horses had already gone. "As hard-worked as a distillery horse" was a sardonic local saying, because farm horses worked all the hours of daylight, distillery horses only when there was work for them. At Colebum, the railway delivered barley, empty casks and coal right into the buildings until the line closed in 1966. The original plant seems to have lasted for a long time: the spirit still until 1950, the feints receiver and the wash still until 1955, and the mash tun until 1959. The two stills were externally heated by coal-burning furnaces, fired by hand, until 1962, when they were converted to internal heating by steam from a coal-fired boiler. Condensers then replaced the worm tubs, and the small water wheel went out of service. The boiler was converted to oil-burning in 1971, when the wash still was again replaced. The mash house was rebuilt, and the mash tun was replaced, in 1976.
Most of the buildings retain their original appearance. The makings, disused since 1968, has two kilns, one with the usual "pagoda" roof, the other, unusually, with a flat top. The second kiln was used for drying barley at a controlled temperature: the process was slow and gave good results. There are now ten houses for occupation by employees upon the site, which covers about 6 acres (2.4 hectares). Coleburn Farm, also owned by the company, covers 520 acres (210 hectares) and is let to tenants. The main products are beef and grain. Colebum, although close to a main road, is still a secluded spot. Red squirrels, rabbits and roe deer can be seen at times from the window of the office; pheasants feed on the field beyond, and woodcock in the plantations. The licensed distillers are J. & G. Stewart Ltd., Edinburgh, blenders of Jamie Stuart, Usher's Green Stripe, Usher's OVS, Usher's De Luxe and Stewart's Finest Old Scotch whiskies.
1897 Built by John Robertson & Son, whisky blenders, DundeeArchitect is Charles Doig
1913 Coleburn closes
1916 Coleburn is bought by Clynelish Distillery Company, jointly owned by Distillers Company Limited (D.C.L.) John Risk andJohn Walker.Coleburn reopens 1917 J. & G. Stewart Ltd, Edinburgh a subsidiary of Distillers CompanyLimited, (D.C.L.) is licensee
1930 D.C.L. buys Clynelish Distillery Company and are now the owner sof Coleburn Operations are transferred to the Scottish Malt Distillers (S.M.D.)
1985 The distillery is mothballed
1992 The distillery lacks a license
1996 United Distillers Ltd, plans to build apartments in the distillery andlocal authorities approve though no further developments take place 2000 Coleburn 21 years old and distilled in 1979 is launched as a Rare Malt
2004 The brothers Dale and Mark Winchester buy Coleburn from Diageo.The plans are to transform it into a activity centre with a hotel, restaurants, shops and concert venues
Founded: 1897 Designed by: Charles Doig Investor: John Robertson & Son Ltd
Whiskyblender from Dundee First Manage: John Grant Cooling water: Glen Burn Process water: a calcium rich spring nearby Wash Still capacity:18.185 litres Spirit Still capacit :14.548 litres Condensers: shell and tube Mashes: 9 in a week Warehouse capacity: 4500 casks Output: 1.000.000 litres a year Closed: 25 May 1913
Sold and in production again: 1916 New owner: Clynelish Distillery Co, owned by
John Walker & Sons Ltd, John Risk, D.C.L. Transferred:1930 to S.M.D. Ltd and Licensed to Mitchell Brothers Ltd and :
later to J. & G. Stewart Ltd
Spirit Still replaced: 1950 Wash Still replaced: 1955 Mash tun replaced: 1959 Direct coal firing changed into indirect heating: 1962 Worm tubs replaced with condensers: 1962 Floor malting abandoned: 1968 Was Still replaced: 1971 Mash tun replaced: 1976 Last spirit run:28 march 1985
Licence canceled: 1992
Much of Coleburn’s life was spent producing Speyside malt whisky for J&G Stewart’s Usher’s blend, as well as Johnnie Walker Red Label. Rarely bottled as a single malt, the distillery is more famous for its experimental work with new production techniques.
Its first official bottling as a single malt was as a 21-year-old in 2000 for Diageo’s Rare Malt’s series. Since then it has appeared under a handful of independent bottler’s labels.
Coleburn was born from the last great distillery boom of the 1890s, and counts itself alongside Knockando, Lochside and many others as a creation of the visionary Victorian architect, Charles Doig.
The distillery was founded in 1897 in Longmorn, five miles south of Elgin by John Robertson & Son. It was originally fitted with two copper pot stills which became operational two years later.
In 1915 Coleburn was sold to the Clynelish Distillery Company, which was jointly owned by John Risk, John Walker & Sons and DCL. Ten years later DCL bought out Risk’s share in the company, bringing both Clynelish distillery and Coleburn into the newly formed Scottish Malt Distillers. Soon after DCL licensed Coleburn to its subsidiary, J&G Stewart of Edinburgh.
Sadly the whisky loch of the 1980s saw the closure of many distilleries, including Coleburn. Despite a renovation during the 1960s, its degrading plant equipment made it a prime target for mothballing by DCL in 1985.
Coleburn’s distilling license was eventually revoked in 1992 and while proposals were submitted by Diageo to convert the distillery buildings into flats and houses a few years later, they were quietly withdrawn.
In 2004 brothers Dale and Mark Winchester acquired the distillery buildings with grand plans of transforming Coleburn into an entertainment centre featuring a hotel, spa, concert hall and shops. While plans are still in place to build a hotel and spa (or even a boutique distillery on the site), Coleburn’s dunnage warehouses were leased in 2014 to Aceo, owner of independent bottler Murray McDavid, to mature its own stocks and use as the company’s headquarters.
The bottler, which also owns the Coleburn brand name under Coleburn Distillery Ltd, has released a blend under the distillery name and has since spoken of its intentions to release further Coleburn blends and even restart the distillery’s whisky production